braveheart20 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Long bicep tendon tear

Hi

I have a suspected long bicep tendon tear after I was lifting a heavy object at home with my arm extended out straight - I heard a pop and the bicep has dropped a little towards the elbow which looks a bit odd

I have an MRI to confirm next week and then will confirm next steps with the orthopaedist

I am early 40s and have been training about 20 years and I am sure the tendon weakened over time. I am told that you can function fine and Still train with the One tendon still attached but for cosmetic reasons may want to get surgery done.

I see this is a fairly common injury and wanted to know what people thought

For this proximal Bicep tendon surgery I see recovery is around 3-4 months and I will need to wear a sling for a while - just wanted to understand how long before I can do daily chores - driving automatic car, washing up, making food etc if I go through this procedure - also how long would I need to wear a sling for ? After this surgery would strength go back up to what it was before - I Usually preacher curl 35kg and ez curl around 40kg

If I opt to not go for surgery apart from a slightly lower bicep on one arm is there anything else to consider ? I.e will I be weaker ?

Any advice greatly appreciated as I will probably need to make a decision next week with orthos guidance - it has only been 2 days since I sustained the injury

Thanks in advance

JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    After the MRI you'll probably have your answer.
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Misc Crew

Combat Veterans Crew