jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Starvation Mode/Eating Disorder Stalling Fat Loss?

I've been in a deficit for 120 days, eating 1500-1700 calories a day. At 19 years old, I'm 5'4", 116-117 pounds. Over the past 2.5 years I've lost 52 pounds. I lift 4 times a week with cardio about 3 days a week. I have started to notice myself wanting to eat more food immediately after eating. I also can not stop constantly thinking about food, to the point where I can't fall asleep at night. I eat lots of protein, vegetables, fruit and other whole carbs. I have seen decent amounts of fat loss in my chest and stomach, but not as much as I thought I would being in this deficit for so long. Is this my body telling me I need more food? I've attached pictures of my body and where I store the majority of my fat I have left.

Just looking for suggestions, eat more? Keep on the deficit? Let me know what y'all think.

Thanks
    Attached Images

Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How much more fat do you think you need to lose? Wouldn't some muscle add good shape under there? How will you feed that muscle at a deficit?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Starvation mode doesn't exist. There is some adaptive component to dieting but it's never enough to actually halt fat loss at the kinds of calorie levels you are talking about.

But yes, you do need more food, your body is correct to tell you so, it doesn't want to self destruct. But more calories will not "restart fat loss" but that's not what you should be doing with your current stats in any case. You won't achieve a good physique this way, you need to focus on muscle gain going forward.

jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jslivs24 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Runway37 View Post
    How much more fat do you think you need to lose? Wouldn't some muscle add good shape under there? How will you feed that muscle at a deficit?
    Maybe a few more pounds? But if you think the muscle would help

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Starvation mode doesn't exist. There is some adaptive component to dieting but it's never enough to actually halt fat loss at the kinds of calorie levels you are talking about.

But yes, you do need more food, your body is correct to tell you so, it doesn't want to self destruct. But more calories will not "restart fat loss" but that's not what you should be doing with your current stats in any case. You won't achieve a good physique this way, you need to focus on muscle gain going forward.
    Sounds good, I’ll increase my caloric intake slowly

Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Runway37 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jslivs24 View Post
    Maybe a few more pounds? But if you think the muscle would help
    I phrased those as questions because I'm far from experienced, but you're also far from fat. It just seems like with a bit of muscle, what you are pointing out would never be noticed. And constantly thinking about food doesn't seem like a life I would want to live either. In fact it feels like setting yourself up for failure when that resolve breaks.

Originally Posted by Runway37 View Post
    I phrased those as questions because I'm far from experienced, but you're also far from fat. It just seems like with a bit of muscle, what you are pointing out would never be noticed. And constantly thinking about food doesn't seem like a life I would want to live either. In fact it feels like setting yourself up for failure when that resolve breaks.
    I agree, I have become frustrated and it’s beginning to get old. From what i read, I can eat at a caloric maintenance and focus on Recomposition. Allows me to eat more and focus on muscle gain.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I agree, I have become frustrated and it’s beginning to get old. From what i read, I can eat at a caloric maintenance and focus on Recomposition. Allows me to eat more and focus on muscle gain.
    Don't do that you're not a candidate. Eat in a small surplus and train properly and add muscle.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Don't do that you're not a candidate. Eat in a small surplus and train properly and add muscle.
    Why do you suggest that? Do I not have enough fat to worry about losing it?

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why do you suggest that? Do I not have enough fat to worry about losing it?
    Recomp really only works for brand new lifters in a deficit. You need to build more muscle and should be in a surplus, thus you are not a candidate.

You can't just cut your way to a nice physique, at some point you will always need to switch gears and build, then cut again. Nobody gets there in 1 shot, it may take you several bulk/cut cycles over a few years to get the physique you want.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    Recomp really only works for brand new lifters in a deficit. You need to build more muscle and should be in a surplus, thus you are not a candidate.

You can't just cut your way to a nice physique, at some point you will always need to switch gears and build, then cut again. Nobody gets there in 1 shot, it may take you several bulk/cut cycles over a few years to get the physique you want.
    Well put, appreciate the feedback! Any tips on how to ensure muscle gains without too much fat gain? Haven’t really had the mindset of eating in a surplus in 3+ years since I’ve been focused on weight loss.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well put, appreciate the feedback! Any tips on how to ensure muscle gains without too much fat gain? Haven’t really had the mindset of eating in a surplus in 3+ years since I’ve been focused on weight loss.
    You can get bigger or you can get lean, but you can't get bigger and stay lean at the same time. Embrace the gains the gym that will come with increased size, you'll have more energy and your lifts should start going up and you'll be getting stronger, so just focus on that for a while. After you gain 15-20 lbs (or until you can't stand the fat any longer), then you know its time to switch back into a deficit. You should be able to bulk for a good 6+ months before that happens though.

You're probably going to gain some weight quickly when you go back to a surplus, so you may see a sudden spike in scale weight in the first couple weeks, this is pretty normal for most people and its just part of the process as you replace glycogen stores and you fill out a bit, it will balance out as long as you keep your intake in check.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

You can get bigger or you can get lean, but you can't get bigger and stay lean at the same time. Embrace the gains the gym that will come with increased size, you'll have more energy and your lifts should start going up and you'll be getting stronger, so just focus on that for a while. After you gain 15-20 lbs (or until you can't stand the fat any longer), then you know its time to switch back into a deficit. You should be able to bulk for a good 6+ months before that happens though.

You're probably going to gain some weight quickly when you go back to a surplus, so you may see a sudden spike in scale weight in the first couple weeks, this is pretty normal for most people and its just part of the process as you replace glycogen stores and you fill out a bit, it will balance out as long as you keep your intake in check.
    Thank you so much! I’ll do my best to keep the diet clean and allow myself to eat more. It’s terrifying I’m not going to lie, but I want the muscle so I’ll sacrifice a bit of fat gain.

Thank you so much! I’ll do my best to keep the diet clean and allow myself to eat more. It’s terrifying I’m not going to lie, but I want the muscle so I’ll sacrifice a bit of fat gain.
    Everyone goes through this after an extended cut, I did after losing almost 55 lbs in about 7 months. Its scary when you see that scale start moving up again; trust the process.

drewlifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    At 5’4” and 116 pounds you should only be focused on gaining lean mass. Even though you have what you think is fat on your stomach, it’s likely just loose skin that will resolve over time and as you add lean mass back. You should work with a dietician and speak with your doctor especially since you mention eating disorder in your thread title. I have male friends that are around your height but are lean and closer to 150 pounds. My wife was your height and weight when we met and that wasn’t even a good weight for her. Please get professional advice.

Originally Posted by drewlifts View Post
    At 5’4” and 116 pounds you should only be focused on gaining lean mass. Even though you have what you think is fat on your stomach, it’s likely just loose skin that will resolve over time and as you add lean mass back. You should work with a dietician and speak with your doctor especially since you mention eating disorder in your thread title. I have male friends that are around your height but are lean and closer to 150 pounds. My wife was your height and weight when we met and that wasn’t even a good weight for her. Please get professional advice.
    I’ve thought about it. When I’d eat around 1500 calories in foods with little fat and carbs, I’d be cold all day and extremely tired. As I’ve started eating more I feel so much better. I’ll be focusing on lean gains from now on thanks to this thread. Appreciate it!

Everyone goes through this after an extended cut, I did after losing almost 55 lbs in about 7 months. Its scary when you see that scale start moving up again; trust the process.
    One question.. since I’m such a low weight (116) I have trouble staying under my protein intake of around 116g of protein. I know I’m going to increase this more. But what happens to the excess protein I eat? What’s it stored as? Many times I’ll eat lots of protein but still have room for calories

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    One question.. since I’m such a low weight (116) I have trouble staying under my protein intake of around 116g of protein. I know I’m going to increase this more. But what happens to the excess protein I eat? What’s it stored as? Many times I’ll eat lots of protein but still have room for calories
    Don't be afraid of going over 1g/lb of protein - it isn't necessary but won't do you any harm provided you don't have preexisting kidney issues. Especially in a surplus, protein over 1g/lb won't stimulate more muscle growth, but it can be used for other processes in the body. It can be stored as fat, but only if you're in a surplus.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181179323&p=1658333353#post1658333353

Height: 185cm (6'1")
    Weight: 79.3kg (175lb)

Personal best lifts
    Bench - 6 x 65kg (143lb), 8 x 62.5kg (138lb)
    Bent Over Row - 10 x 70kg (154lb)
    Front squat - 5 x 67.5kg (149lb)
    Back squat - 1 x 95kg (209lb), 8 x 77.5kg (171lb)
    RDL - 9 x 87.5kg (193lb)
    Deadlift - 6 x 107.5kg (237lb)
    Overhead Press - 6 x 40kg (88lb)
    Chin Ups - 7 x bodyweight + 12.5kg (27.5lb), 14 x b.weight