Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100)

A dumbbell routine for the long term/foreseeable future?

I'd like to build a lot of muscle mass as my main focus. Get as big as possible. Mostly focused on back/lats/traps, shoulders, chest, and arms. But most programs I find for that require a full gym, or at least a barbell. Every dumbbell program I find is a stopgap where they specify "You cannot do this long term, this is only to fill time until you have access to a barbell and/or full gym."

I can't go to a full gym and I can't buy a barbell and plates. I have nowhere to store them. And the kind of weight these barbell plans want me to throw around will disturb my neighbors and get me in trouble with my landlord. Some people have suggested body weight. I do have a pull-up bar, but looking at the results of bodyweight programs they don't seem to get people very big. My guess is because in order to successfully get big with bodyweight, you have to pull off movements that are very hard to do with proper form. And I don't have a trainer to check my movements. I have nowhere to store one. But it works for gymnasts, they have the most aesthetic biceps in the game.

I know alternatives must exist out there, I just can't find any. I'm thinking maybe an "every other day" split with a rest on the weekends?

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It's possible to use DBs exlusively for a number of lifts. The problem is that it's difficult to effectively train lower body with just DBs.

I can see you believe you don't need to do that. However, most experienced people here would disagree with that point of view, it's important to train the whole body in balanced.

Also, most novices don't properly understand their body composition - believing you don't need to train lower body is just an extension of this misunderstanding. If anything, lower body training will have more impact on having a lean torso (especially the much sought after 6 pack) than upper body training will.

WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100) WhatifI is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It's possible to use DBs exlusively for a number of lifts. The problem is that it's difficult to effectively train lower body with just DBs.

I can see you believe you don't need to do that. However, most experienced people here would disagree with that point of view, it's important to train the whole body in balanced.

Also, most novices don't properly understand their body composition - believing you don't need to train lower body is just an extension of this misunderstanding. If anything, lower body training will have more impact on having a lean torso (especially the much sought after 6 pack) than upper body training will.
    I wanna train the whole body, core, legs, everything. It's just that it's important that my upper body is really really big.

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by WhatifI View Post
    It's just that it's important that my upper body is really really big.
    It's prob not important at all for your upper body to be really big compared to your legs.

I can't go to a full gym and I can't buy a barbell and plates. I have nowhere to store them. And the kind of weight these barbell plans want me to throw around will disturb my neighbors and get me in trouble with my landlord.
    You can train upper body pretty well with dbs, but you're going to run into similar probs. To get really big, you'll still need to lift and store heavy dbs - so you'll need to either buy many dbs to cover the wide range of weights you'll need for a variety of exercises and progressively heavier weights, or one or two pairs of adjustable dbs (e.g., SelectTech) to cover the same ranges. But they're still going to make noise and in some cases will make more since a bar will often rest up on your bench rack for heavy lifts.

That being said, it sounds like you haven't started lifting yet so you'll prob won't need to go too heavy at the start.

I do have a pull-up bar, but looking at the results of bodyweight programs they don't seem to get people very big.
    You're limited to your own bodyweight for lifts, so can only progress so much. But if you're not currently weightlifting, do you really find proper pull-ups that easy? It's a great exercise, and you can wear or hang weight off of yourself if you need to add resistance.

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I wanna train the whole body, core, legs, everything. It's just that it's important that my upper body is really really big.
    I can understand why.....

My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=50

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    but looking at the results of bodyweight programs they don't seem to get people very big. My guess is because in order to successfully get big with bodyweight, you have to pull off movements that are very hard to do with proper form.
    No. You need continued progressive overload to get big - and it's more difficult to do this with only bodyweight lifting.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You can train upper body pretty well with dbs, but you're going to run into similar probs. To get really big, you'll still need to lift and store heavy dbs - so you'll need to either buy many dbs to cover the wide range of weights you'll need for a variety of exercises and progressively heavier weights, or one or two pairs of adjustable dbs (e.g., SelectTech) to cover the same ranges. But they're still going to make noise and in some cases will make more since a bar will often rest up on your bench rack for heavy lifts.

That being said, it sounds like you haven't started lifting yet so you'll prob won't need to go too heavy at the start.
    I was worried more about deadlifts making noise.

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If its that important find a gym you can join with barbells.

Deathguard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deathguard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deathguard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deathguard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deathguard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deathguard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deathguard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deathguard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deathguard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deathguard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deathguard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    One must barbell before one mass
    "May the wrath of Zeus descend upon you like a great black toad in heat"

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    I was worried more about deadlifts making noise.
    DB deadlifts are quieter?
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    DB deadlifts are quieter?
    Dumbbell deadlifts are impossible, I think? Dumbbells don't come heavy enough to deadlift and provide results. Probably why I've never seen a routine with dumbbell deadlifts in it. But maybe there's a dumbbell routine that doesn't have deadlifts, but has some alternative that can be done with dumbbells and/or a pull up bar.

TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your complaint makes no sense. Barbells are no go because deadlifts are too noisy. Dumbbells are no go because progression is more difficult. You don't have to do deadlifts just because you have a barbell. You can do deadlifts with dumbbells. You're just making up excuses.

Your complaint makes no sense. Barbells are no go because deadlifts are too noisy. Dumbbells are no go because progression is more difficult. You don't have to do deadlifts just because you have a barbell. You can do deadlifts with dumbbells. You're just making up excuses.
    I didn't know that you could do deadlifts with dumbbells, I thought progression was too difficult. But where would I find dumbbells heavy enough to lift? Dick's and Wal-Mart only go so heavy.

EDIT: Also, if I don't have to do deadlifts, what's an alternative? That's why I need a routine for dumbbells that says "Hey you don't have a barbell so we're not gonna do any exercises that involve barbells, but here's a bunch of dumbbell alternatives that work just as well. "

supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I didn't know that you could do deadlifts with dumbbells, I thought progression was too difficult. But where would I find dumbbells heavy enough to lift? Dick's and Wal-Mart only go so heavy.
    A pair of loadable kettlebell handles do the job. You won't be able to lift as much weight as you can with a barbell, though.

EDIT: Also, if I don't have to do deadlifts, what's an alternative? That's why I need a routine for dumbbells that says "Hey you don't have a barbell so we're not gonna do any exercises that involve barbells, but here's a bunch of dumbbell alternatives that work just as well. "
    A great alternative is hard style heavy kettlebell swings. Ideally, though, the swings precede the deadlifts.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    A great alternative is hard style heavy kettlebell swings. Ideally, though, the swings precede the deadlifts.
    Can you tell me what the equivalent weight on a kettlebell swing is to a deadlift? I just watched a video of a hardstyle kettlebell swing, and the motion is different from a deadlift. So I imagine the weight would be different too.

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Can you tell me what the equivalent weight on a kettlebell swing is to a deadlift? I just watched a video of a hardstyle kettlebell swing, and the motion is different from a deadlift. So I imagine the weight would be different too.
    kb swings and deadlifts are completely different exercises. The former works the hip hinge, the latter works the lower back. There is some carry over but not as much as you would think.

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Probably why I've never seen a routine with dumbbell deadlifts in it. But maybe there's a dumbbell routine that doesn't have deadlifts, but has some alternative that can be done with dumbbells and/or a pull up bar.
    Fierce 5 full body db program (with romanian DL or single-leg DL):
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1266579671

But where would I find dumbbells heavy enough to lift?
    As I mentioned above, get some adjustable dbs.

supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have no idea about equivalent weight. Just like deadlifting, you have to overload progressively with correct technique. Make absolutely no mistake about it, though: the deadlift IS a hip hinge.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

Again with the backwards thinking. Because you're not doing deadlifts, you're also arbitrarily excluding barbell bench, squat, rdl, overhead press, etc. That's asinine.
    Last edited by TolerantLactose; 01-04-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Fierce 5 full body db program

As I mentioned above, get some adjustable dbs.
    Those only go up to 45-50 pounds each, I can already split squat that for a few reps, so I'm gonna be running into a wall soon.

Again with the backwards thinking. Because you're not doing deadlifts, you're also arbitrarily excluding barbell bench, squat, rdl, overhead press, etc. That's asinine.
    I can't do barbell deadlifts. I don't have a barbell and can't get one. But you said I don't have to do deadlifts.

Those only go up to 45-50 pounds each, I can already split squat that for a few reps, so I'm gonna be running into a wall soon.
    Actually Powerblocks go up to 175 lbs each and SelectTech goes up to 90 lbs each. If that's not heavy enough for you, then just get individual pairs of dbs as you need them. They go up to 420 lbs each. If that's not enough for your split squats, then join a gym or buy a barbell.

The best way to not get really really big is to come up with one wall after another as to why it's not possible.

I can't do barbell deadlifts. I don't have a barbell and can't get one. But you said I don't have to do deadlifts.
    For the umpteenth time, you also can't do barbell bench, barbell squats, barbell presses.

And you understand how most lifters end their sets of DB bench presses, don't you?

For the umpteenth time, you also can't do barbell bench, barbell squats, barbell presses.

And you understand how most lifters end their sets of DB bench presses, don't you?
    Yeah, I can't do "barbell" anything. But is there a program like that for dumbbells that I can do long term? Where all of the barbell stuff is replaced with dumbbell stuff? When you said "You don't have to do deadlifts just because you have a barbell," I took that to mean "There are alternatives to deadlifts."

And I don't know how most lifters end their dumbbell bench presses, do they end them in some way that makes them not a good replacement for barbell bench presses?

Actually Powerblocks go up to 175 lbs each and SelectTech goes up to 90 lbs each. If that's not heavy enough for you, then just get individual pairs of dbs as you need them. They go up to 420 lbs each. If that's not enough for your split squats, then join a gym or buy a barbell.
    I didn't know they made dumbbells that heavy, how are you even supposed to hold those with one hand? I'm not looking for excuses, I'm looking for the opposite. I'm looking for a way to do this despite my limitation of not being able to go to a gym or buy plates and a bar and a rack and stuff.

But is there a program like that for dumbbells that I can do long term? Where all of the barbell stuff is replaced with dumbbell stuff?
    You may want to re-read this thread incl. posts you've already replied back to.

I didn't know they made dumbbells that heavy, how are you even supposed to hold those with one hand?
    I dunno, but you felt adjustable dbs were beneath your capabilities and bbs are a no-go, so figured the 420-pounders should have you covered.

And I don't know how most lifters end their dumbbell bench presses, do they end them in some way that makes them not a good replacement for barbell bench presses?
    But they're still going to make noise and in some cases will make more since a bar will often rest up on your bench rack for heavy lifts.
    Where do you think those dbs go once you're done BPing a heavy set?

They have to drop the DBs on the floor in order to be able to get up.

They have to drop the DBs on the floor in order to be able to get up.
    Where do you think those dbs go once you're done BPing a heavy set?
    That's not what I do. Any dumbbell I have to drop is too heavy to press. I press my dumbbells, and then I gently lower them.

Also, I'm looking into this Fierce 5, it says I'll eventually need a barbell/full gym. Which is what I thought, it's another "stopgap" like every other dumbbell program. But suppose I just keep doing it and never join a gym? Just buying heavier dumbbells? Would it still work?

Any dumbbell I have to drop is too heavy to press. I press my dumbbells, and then I gently lower them.
    This becomes harder once your dbs don't come in neon colors.

Also, I'm looking into this Fierce 5, it says I'll eventually need a barbell/full gym. Which is what I thought, it's another "stopgap" like every other dumbbell program. But suppose I just keep doing it and never join a gym? Just buying heavier dumbbells? Would it still work?
    F5 prob doesn't take the 420 lb db set into consideration, which as you noted may be difficult to lift with one hand. Theoretically though, if you could lift such dbs with one hand and do the lifts for a good db program, you could continue it or an adjusted more advanced version indefinitely. In reality though, the no-gym, no-barbell, no-noise rule makes it difficult to become really really big.

F5 prob doesn't take the 420 lb db set into consideration, which as you noted may be difficult to lift with one hand. Theoretically though, if you could lift such dbs with one hand and do the lifts for a good db program, you could continue it or an adjusted more advanced version indefinitely. In reality though, the no-gym, no-barbell, no-noise rule makes it difficult to become really really big.
    Why would it be difficult with the "No gym, no barbell, no noise" rule, if I can get progressively heavier dumbbells?

Why would it be difficult with the "No gym, no barbell, no noise" rule, if I can get progressively heavier dumbbells?
    Spoken like someone who's never handled a heavy dumbbell.