Andrewx555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrewx555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrewx555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrewx555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrewx555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrewx555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrewx555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrewx555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrewx555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrewx555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrewx555 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Questions for Powerlifters!

Hello everyone!

I originally posted this in the wrong forum...whoops... anyways!

I am 22 y/o and i have been lifting with the only goal of getting a higher total for a couple years now (since senior year high school). I've competed a couple times and done well (i ask questions to everyone there too). I just have a few questions for some of the more experienced guys and gals that have been competing for a while that i haven't gotten firm answers to yet (or maybe i just need some good guidance). Any and all help would be much appreciated!

My current PR's as of 1/2/2020

Raw lifts - @ 165 lbs BW
    Squat - 465 lbs
    Bench - 315 lbs
    Deadlift - 565 lbs

1. Nutrition. should i be more focused on getting tons of protein from protein shakes and lean meats? or would it make more sense to just go with a dirty bulk style for increasing my total? (this is what I've been doing for the most part) i noticed i was able to bulk right up to 160 and since then its been a hard hard struggle to gain weight after i got that heavy. (im only 5'5). the only supplements i take is creatine occasionally (sometimes it makes me sick so i haven't been taking it everyday) and then i make protein shakes on the days i dont have much time to cook or if i just didn't eat much that day.

2. Cardio. I cant completely cut out cardio as i have to take PT tests (Active Duty Air Force). I've heard back and forth on this from power lifters who are much better than me but usually it seems like it was the bigger guys (220+) that did cardio as a cool down? most of the guys my size that i have met didn't seem to do any at all. Should i just do it when its required for PT or should i add it in after each workout for a bit?

3. Smelling salts. I've began using these recently and they have been working great, however i heard that you should only use one a day because you will feel weaker afterwards. can anyone back that claim up from experience? also should i be using them every time i go heavy or is there a downfall to that?

4. Assistance exercises. every time i workout i start with bench, squat or dead lift. following that i try to work those muscle groups and do a few higher rep exercises. what are some good exercises for each of those 3 main lifts that will help me increase my max?

5. competition day prep. Aside from the obvious (get stay calm, get lots of rest, etc) are there any veteran tips i should know going into the bigger meets to help me perform better?

those are all the questions i can think of just at the moment (plenty more to come i am sure).
    All help is appreciated, thank you!

Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    1. If your main focus is to increase your lifts, eat as much as possible and gain weight. If you have no health problems, this should be fine. There's nothing wrong with supplementing your clean meals with prepared foods/fast food. Try to add 1000 cals a day to what you currently eat for a while. You will be uncomfortable, and you should be. Gaining weight is hard.

2. Do some sort of cardio every day, whenever you want. If your option is before or after lifting, after is better. This will help you stay in good physical condition while gaining weight.

3. I don't like smelling salts. I've used them, I get why people like them. I would say limit it to times when you are going for a big PR in a certain lift. Like anything else, you will get used to it and the effect won't be as great.

4. It all depends on your specific weaknesses. In general for bench that is usually triceps and upper back, so I would stick with heavy triceps movements (Board press, JM press, extensions) and heavy rowing movements. Squat I would focus on hamstrings and abs. Good Mornings, Glute Ham Raises, or just do squat variations for reps (if you squat wide, do close stance and deeper, SSB squats, front squats, etc). For Deadlifts it will be mostly the same as squats, but I like to do deficit deads, or deads against bands. Always follow with heavy ab work.

5. For meet day, get your rest in the week leading up to the meet. Some people have a hard time sleeping the night before a meet, so I try to get an extra hour or two of sleep every night the week before. This will add up on meet day. Have your warmups and attempts planned in advance, and write them down in a small notebook. Bring an extra set of wraps for squat and bench. Pre-wrap your knee wraps tightly before you start warming up to squat. If a wrap comes unraveled prior to an attempt, you will have two spares ready to go. Always have 4 wraps ready to go for each attempt, your handler should take care of this. Have at least one good handler with you on meet day. Someone who knows powerlifting meets and can be your advocate. They should know your plan for the day and be prepared to clear a rack in the warmup room for you. Bring a variety of food and eat whenever you are not warming up or lifting. Don't get full, just don't be hungry. Bring athletic tape, duct tape, ice packs, immodium, an antacid, and a pain reliever.

Thank you for your service. Nice lifts!
    I'm not DrewDarden

Best Meet lifts: S:805 B:705 D:560 Total:2070 (220, equipped, drug free)
    Best Raw (gym lifts): S:540 B:380 D:515

Want to bench more? Click here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178958341
    ~ Molon Labe ~

jebanator is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Andrewx555 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am 22 y/o and i have been lifting with the only goal of getting a higher total for a couple years now (since senior year high school). I've competed a couple times and done well (i ask questions to everyone there too). I just have a few questions for some of the more experienced guys and gals that have been competing for a while that i haven't gotten firm answers to yet (or maybe i just need some good guidance). Any and all help would be much appreciated!

Raw lifts - @ 165 lbs BW
    Squat - 465 lbs
    Bench - 315 lbs
    Deadlift - 565 lbs

1. Nutrition. should i be more focused on getting tons of protein from protein shakes and lean meats? or would it make more sense to just go with a dirty bulk style for increasing my total? (this is what I've been doing for the most part) i noticed i was able to bulk right up to 160 and since then its been a hard hard struggle to gain weight after i got that heavy. (im only 5'5). the only supplements i take is creatine occasionally (sometimes it makes me sick so i haven't been taking it everyday) and then i make protein shakes on the days i dont have much time to cook or if i just didn't eat much that day.

2. Cardio. I cant completely cut out cardio as i have to take PT tests (Active Duty Air Force). I've heard back and forth on this from power lifters who are much better than me but usually it seems like it was the bigger guys (220+) that did cardio as a cool down? most of the guys my size that i have met didn't seem to do any at all. Should i just do it when its required for PT or should i add it in after each workout for a bit?

3. Smelling salts. I've began using these recently and they have been working great, however i heard that you should only use one a day because you will feel weaker afterwards. can anyone back that claim up from experience? also should i be using them every time i go heavy or is there a downfall to that?

4. Assistance exercises. every time i workout i start with bench, squat or dead lift. following that i try to work those muscle groups and do a few higher rep exercises. what are some good exercises for each of those 3 main lifts that will help me increase my max?

5. competition day prep. Aside from the obvious (get stay calm, get lots of rest, etc) are there any veteran tips i should know going into the bigger meets to help me perform better?

those are all the questions i can think of just at the moment (plenty more to come i am sure).

Drew 23 gave a very comprehensive list that should be helpful. A couple of things I can add that has worked well for me leading up to the meet is cutting out caffeine the week prior so on meet day it's a real boost. Also on meet day I like to bring little salt packs to drink with my water. It helps me feel more powerful especially when flat, also the timing of any stimulant like caffeine, preworkout etc. can be a little tricky especially if its a long meet, try to space those out accordingly. I like to try and rest in between lifts instead of pacing around, also try and time your warmups properly. And one more thing on meet day its good to have an idea of what you want your opener to be, but for the rest of it try and take what the day gives you rather than what you thought you were gonna get. Don't over reach just try and build that total. Nice numbers so far though, keep it up! hopefully some of these things that worked for me can help you too.

jebanator is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Andrewx555 View Post
    Hello everyone!

Raw lifts - @ 165 lbs BW
    Squat - 465 lbs
    Bench - 315 lbs
    Deadlift - 565 lbs

Drew 23 gave a very comprehensive list that should be helpful. A couple of things I can add that has worked well for me leading up to the meet is cutting out caffeine the week prior so on meet day it's a real boost. Also on meet day I like to bring little salt packs to drink with my water. It helps me feel more powerful especially when flat, also the timing of any stimulant like caffeine, preworkout etc. can be a little tricky especially if its a long meet, try to space those out accordingly. I like to try and rest in between lifts instead of pacing around, also try and time your warmups properly. And one more thing on meet day its good to have an idea of what you want your opener to be, but for the rest of it try and take what the day gives you rather than what you thought you were gonna get. Don't over reach just try and build that total. Nice numbers so far though, keep it up! hopefully some of these things that worked for me can help you too.

JoanM92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    could someone answer a question about a peptide I am taking? I am interested in competing in the USAPL

smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JoanM92 View Post
    could someone answer a question about a peptide I am taking? I am interested in competing in the USAPL
    It would be unethical to compete in the usapl if you have took any peptides
    That answer your question?
    Best Raw total 1850 at 181 lbs
    best comp raw lifts @ 181
    squat 710
    bench 500
    deadlift 670
    "Lightest man to bench 500 raw in a full meet"
    my you tube channel of my training http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkt7CVJ7443k6Vu_1DwP3UA
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #9 ||---||
    ()---() York Barbell Club #81 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #81 []---[]