Registered User AccountingMajor's Avatar
    AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Misc time for you to shine (Deciding someone's future)

Hi Educated Misc,

Today you will decide my friend's fate. My friend keeps changing his major.
    1st he started as mechanic then he realized the pay and hours weren't to his liking. But he "loves cars" in the sense that he likes driving around wasting gas, but not fixing them.

2nd he dropped out for a semester then went back for graphic design, but realized he sucks ass at drawing and hated all the artsy classes he was required to take.

3rd he went into computer science, but didn't like his classmates because they were "too awkward" according to him.

4th tried accounting, and passed intro to financial with a C and said the class was easy, but I convinced him that if he got a C in intro, he will fail at the higher level courses. so he decided to switch.

5th went into engineering but didn't like all the labs involved with his chemistry class

6th he joined and is currently part of an MLM and says how he is running his own business. The idiot tried to hook me up with that ****, but I ain't biting.

7th he is considering international business because he says he wants to travel the world and hates being stuck in a bubble. He currently doesn't speak a 2nd language other than some ASL. He says that English is the language of business, so he doesn't need to learn another language anyways.

He has been in school forever, and works part-time in his MLM.

So What do misc? What advice should I give him?

AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Fat misc is fat as usual.
    I know many of you were in my friend's position and just dropped out to suck dink as an "independent contractor."
    Can you provide advice, so he doesn't end up like you?

wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000)
    Maybe he should just try trade school and give up traditional college. It seems like he's finding every excuse under the sun to keep switching majors... I mean come on, his classmates being too awkward? Is he there to make friends or get an education.

Is he asking for your advice? If no, I would just not give advice because you don't want him to come back and blame you. This guy needs to figure it out for himself and do his own research based on his personality/interest. Don't focus too much on the major/classes for right now, but rather, what's the end goal? What job is he trying to get after graduation? Only then you can start looking at majors and see how to get there.

Oh and tell him to stop being a phaggot and half assing everything. Pick a damn path and go all in. If you're going to do something, put 110% in or don't do it at all.

Visel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by wutevs View Post
    Maybe he should just try trade school and give up traditional college. It seems like he's finding every excuse under the sun to keep switching majors... I mean come on, his classmates being too awkward? Is he there to make friends or get an education.

Is he asking for your advice? If no, I would just not give advice because you don't want him to come back and blame you. This guy needs to figure it out for himself and do his own research based on his personality/interest. Don't focus too much on the major/classes for right now, but rather, what's the end goal? What job is he trying to get after graduation? Only then you can start looking at majors and see how to get there.

Oh and tell him to stop being a phaggot and half assing everything. Pick a damn path and go all in. If you're going to do something, put 110% in or don't do it at all.
    This OP.

Your friend's reasonings for ending each path is bogus. Let's tackle each one together.

1st he could "tough it out" with the hours and lower pay until he finds another job in the industry that gives him more of what he wants. Ultimately if this was his passion, he could wind up with his own business in this industry that enables his preferred hours, and workers under him to handle hours he doesn't want to work through, or even omit the bad hours from the business entirely.

2nd he didn't look into the curriculum before trying out the major, otherwise he'd be aware of the artsy classes just by name and course description. It's almost like he chose the major because he had a random number generator select through 20 random fields.

3rd he is an idiot. He quit a major because of the students? What the hell? If anything he should've been motivated by his observations... "if THESE guys are my competition in the industry, I'll be able to crush it in an interview and my sociable charm will enable me to stand out." Also there's the occasional HBB in Comp Sci... who wouldn't want to score some ambitious successful putang?

4th he got a C in an intro course and called it too easy. Sounds like he just didn't care / has bad work ethic.

5th he hated labs in Chemistry for an engineering major? Bro unless he was going into Chemical engineering or something in that scope, he wouldn't have to deal with similar labs/course structure ever again after passing a single semester of that chit. Usually Chemistry and Physics courses are pre-cursor classes before getting into the real stuff for the major.

6th he actually is an idiot! Pyramid schemes not even once. I had friends that did that and not one of them came out with any sort of profit, although they weren't very dedicated so maybe your friend can charm some suckers.

7th he doesn't need to go into international business to be in a traveling role. He clearly has a pattern of thinking about the immediate perks associated with a major, but not thinking about the tangible end results and listing out actual job titles, companies, etc.

If I were in your friend's shoes, I'd honestly consider whether or not any major is the right choice for me. By this point your friend probably has a lot of student loan debt, and all for nothing except some exposure in introductory courses of different majors. He jumps into things without thinking it through to potential end goals. He comes up with excuses and aborts mission.

He needs to take a solid chunk of time off, stay away from drugs/booze, get off social media, hit up a beach, hit up a nature trail, close his impulses, and start to do some deep behavioral analysis on himself. He needs to think about the journey hes been on, his regrets and successes. And he needs to come to terms with the fact that every path he can possibly goes towards requires consistency, longevity, work, ambition. Sounds like a lot of sweat, nerves, and stress doesn't it? Wanna know what gets you through it? PASSION. He needs to take a long stretch of time to just think about the things he likes to do, likes to interact with, has strengths towards, and cultivate a list of paths that fits within that criteria. Once he has a tangible list, he needs to research online things like the work life balance, the salary ranges, the sub-divisions of jobs within the entire industry, the requirements (educations/certifications). Once he does this he'll realize his ideal list has been cut a bit smaller. Once he has a more refined and intentional list, he needs to continue doing more research, and perhaps even get into deeper communications with people who are actually in the industry, interview them, and try to gauge if it's right for him. This journey can be as short as a weekend, or as long as several months.
    Last edited by Visel; 01-03-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Originally Posted by wutevs View Post
    He has been half assing everything in life. He got kicked out of high school for terrible grades which I didn't even know could happen. All of his higher education has been at a community college, but he hates it all. He is living in an illusion and doesn't see himself working in an office because he doesn't want to live in a cubicle his whole life. He has zero hobbies other than video games and drag racing (he has actually crashed his car, and now has a new one). He sees movies like fast & furious and wants to be like those people (I haven't seen these movies, so I have no idea what he is talking about). He got into remedial math, and failed because he doesn't like to sit down and focus.

Originally Posted by Visel View Post
    Your friend's reasonings for ending each path is bogus. Let's tackle each one together.

1st he could "tough it out" with the hours and lower pay until he finds another job in the industry that gives him more of what he wants. Ultimately if this was his passion, he could wind up with his own business in this industry that enables his preferred hours, and workers under him to handle hours he doesn't want to work through, or even omit the bad hours from the business entirely.
    I think the fact that the only "mechanic" place close-by was a Sears. I think he feels justified for abondoning the mechanic route considering that Sears actually closed near us.

2nd he didn't look into the curriculum before trying out the major, otherwise he'd be aware of the artsy classes just by name and course description. It's almost like he chose the major because he had a random number generator select through 20 random fields.
    My friend is obsessed with video games, and he thought that he would create the next halo because he got the idea that people at bungie all have graphic design degrees.

3rd he is an idiot. He quit a major because of the students? What the hell? If anything he should've been motivated by his observations... "if THESE guys are my competition in the industry, I'll be able to crush it in an interview and my sociable charm will enable me to stand out." Also there's the occasional HBB in Comp Sci... who wouldn't want to score some ambitious successful putang?
    I agree, he ****ed up for the wrong reasons. But also he paid his friend to help him write code for some programming project. Overall, he would have been ****ed either way. I think the real reason is that he was just stupid and couldn't handle the fact that all these "awkward" people are smarter than he is.

4th he got a C in an intro course and called it too easy. Sounds like he just didn't care / has bad work ethic.
    Not only that but he paid someone in his class to do his excel project for him.

5th he hated labs in Chemistry for an engineering major? Bro unless he was going into Chemical engineering or something in that scope, he wouldn't have to deal with similar labs/course structure ever again after passing a single semester of that chit. Usually Chemistry and Physics courses are pre-cursor classes before getting into the real stuff for the major.
    He doesn't work a legit job, so he has no excuses other than he wants to go online and play FIFA with his homies.
    6th he actually is an idiot! Pyramid schemes not even once. I had friends that did that and not one of them came out with any sort of profit, although they weren't very dedicated so maybe your friend can charm some suckers.
    He says that he can write everything off as a business expense, which I said was retarded, but who knows if this even takes off.

7th he doesn't need to go into international business to be in a traveling role. He clearly has a pattern of thinking about the immediate perks associated with a major, but not thinking about the tangible end results and listing out actual job titles, companies, etc.

If I were in your friend's shoes, I'd honestly consider whether or not any major is the right choice for me. By this point your friend probably has a lot of student loan debt, and all for nothing except some exposure in introductory courses of different majors. He jumps into things without thinking it through to potential end goals. He comes up with excuses and aborts mission.

He needs to take a solid chunk of time off, stay away from drugs/booze, get off social media, hit up a beach, hit up a nature trail, close his impulses, and start to do some deep behavioral analysis on himself. He needs to think about the journey hes been on, his regrets and successes. And he needs to come to terms with the fact that every path he can possibly goes towards requires consistency, longevity, work, ambition. Sounds like a lot of sweat, nerves, and stress doesn't it? Wanna know what gets you through it? PASSION. He needs to take a long stretch of time to just think about the things he likes to do, likes to interact with, has strengths towards, and cultivate a list of paths that fits within that criteria. Once he has a tangible list, he needs to research online things like the work life balance, the salary ranges, the sub-divisions of jobs within the entire industry, the requirements (educations/certifications). Once he does this he'll realize his ideal list has been cut a bit smaller. Once he has a more refined and intentional list, he needs to continue doing more research, and perhaps even get into deeper communications with people who are actually in the industry, interview them, and try to gauge if it's right for him. This journey can be as short as a weekend, or as long as several months.
    This sounds like awesome advice, but my friend is more the type of person who cares about the now rather than the future. He can't visualize anything. He says he wants to experience life now while he is young because you only have one life. (not sure if that's the MLM kool-aid). I've already told him to apply to fast food and try to get hired, so he can see how the real world is like, but he refuses and says that he isn't stupid and he is above fast food.

DoragonKingu is just really nice. (+1000) DoragonKingu is just really nice. (+1000) DoragonKingu is just really nice. (+1000) DoragonKingu is just really nice. (+1000) DoragonKingu is just really nice. (+1000) DoragonKingu is just really nice. (+1000) DoragonKingu is just really nice. (+1000) DoragonKingu is just really nice. (+1000) DoragonKingu is just really nice. (+1000) DoragonKingu is just really nice. (+1000) DoragonKingu is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by AccountingMajor View Post
    Hi Educated Misc,

Today you will decide my friend's fate. My friend keeps changing his major.
    1st he started as mechanic then he realized the pay and hours weren't to his liking. But he "loves cars" in the sense that he likes driving around wasting gas, but not fixing them.

2nd he dropped out for a semester then went back for graphic design, but realized he sucks ass at drawing and hated all the artsy classes he was required to take.

3rd he went into computer science, but didn't like his classmates because they were "too awkward" according to him.

4th tried accounting, and passed intro to financial with a C and said the class was easy, but I convinced him that if he got a C in intro, he will fail at the higher level courses. so he decided to switch.

5th went into engineering but didn't like all the labs involved with his chemistry class

6th he joined and is currently part of an MLM and says how he is running his own business. The idiot tried to hook me up with that ****, but I ain't biting.

7th he is considering international business because he says he wants to travel the world and hates being stuck in a bubble. He currently doesn't speak a 2nd language other than some ASL. He says that English is the language of business, so he doesn't need to learn another language anyways.

He has been in school forever, and works part-time in his MLM.

So What do misc? What advice should I give him?
    Tell him to become a car salesman.

wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000) wutevs is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by AccountingMajor View Post
    He has been half assing everything in life. He got kicked out of high school for terrible grades which I didn't even know could happen. All of his higher education has been at a community college, but he hates it all. He is living in an illusion and doesn't see himself working in an office because he doesn't want to live in a cubicle his whole life. He has zero hobbies other than video games and drag racing (he has actually crashed his car, and now has a new one). He sees movies like fast & furious and wants to be like those people (I haven't seen these movies, so I have no idea what he is talking about). He got into remedial math, and failed because he doesn't like to sit down and focus.
    You can't help people that doesn't want to be helped. Everything you tell him will go in one ear and out the other.

Originally Posted by DoragonKingu View Post
    Tell him to become a car salesman.
    That a start. I think he knows some people that could get him in.