bobsen11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What is wrong with my knee?

Hello there, turning to Bodybuilding.com because I have no other place to look anymore.

Prefacing this by saying that I have had an x-ray, ultrasound, and MRI-scan of my knee, and none of them showed anything. Beyond that I have seen a physical therapist for several months, who instructed me to do slow Quad-extensions, with focus on the eccentric part of the movement - didn't help.

So: My knee hurts - sometimes. I noticed it first about 4 years ago when I was at a club with my friends at uni, and after standing for a long time I bent to tie my shoe or something like that, and then my knee practically locked - as in, intense pain. I had to practically push myself/jump out of my crouch, and the pain continued for a while, abating if I didn't bend my leg, but returning if I crouched or walked on stairs or something of the like.
    Now, knee issues like these means I can't do squats, or deadlifts, at least not with any substantial weight. Sometimes if the pain has been gone for a while I get hopeful and try squats with 100 pounds on my back, or even without weights at all, but all of a sudden the pain returns, and I can barely get off the ground.

The strange this is that this only happens sometimes. Some days I can go 3 sets of 5-6 squats without any pain, then the next time it comes on my first try.
    The pain seems to be on top of the kneecap (not top as in above, but near the skin), so recently I have researched patella tendonitis (which an ultrasound should have picked up on, but might as well try), and done squat exercises supposed to circumvent this - but the pain returned regardless.

Does anyone have ANY clue what this can be?
    Thanks for reading

sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you mention tests that were done and seeing a PT. You didn't mention seeing an Orthopedic Surgeon well known for working with athletes. No one on the Internet will be able to diagnose your condition. So, go see and Orthopedic Surgeon who works with athletes. How do you find one? Well, take a look at the Pro Sports or Major College or Major Amateur sports teams in your area and look up who their team doctor is. Usually it is an Orthopedic Surgeon (usually they'll specialize in knee or shoulder). Then search on that doctor and see what medical group they work through (most work through more than one). Finally, schedule an appointment. You've had substantial imagery done on your knee. Good Orthopedic Surgeons rely on their own tests and diagnosis utilizing imagery as a check. Just because nothing showed up on an MRI doesn't mean everything is OK. So, go see a good doctor that works with athletes

Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bobsen11 View Post
    Hello there, turning to Bodybuilding.com because I have no other place to look anymore.

Prefacing this by saying that I have had an x-ray, ultrasound, and MRI-scan of my knee, and none of them showed anything. Beyond that I have seen a physical therapist for several months, who instructed me to do slow Quad-extensions, with focus on the eccentric part of the movement - didn't help.

So: My knee hurts - sometimes. I noticed it first about 4 years ago when I was at a club with my friends at uni, and after standing for a long time I bent to tie my shoe or something like that, and then my knee practically locked - as in, intense pain. I had to practically push myself/jump out of my crouch, and the pain continued for a while, abating if I didn't bend my leg, but returning if I crouched or walked on stairs or something of the like.
    Now, knee issues like these means I can't do squats, or deadlifts, at least not with any substantial weight. Sometimes if the pain has been gone for a while I get hopeful and try squats with 100 pounds on my back, or even without weights at all, but all of a sudden the pain returns, and I can barely get off the ground.

The strange this is that this only happens sometimes. Some days I can go 3 sets of 5-6 squats without any pain, then the next time it comes on my first try.
    The pain seems to be on top of the kneecap (not top as in above, but near the skin), so recently I have researched patella tendonitis (which an ultrasound should have picked up on, but might as well try), and done squat exercises supposed to circumvent this - but the pain returned regardless.

Does anyone have ANY clue what this can be?
    Thanks for reading
    hard to say what can it be, but you can strenghten your glutes and it might take off the tension from the knee while squats, deadlifts etc ... You can try out exercises like : lateral monster walks with band and hip thrust with barbell. Oh and btw quads extension machine is totally ****ty one I wouldn't recommend you to use it, it put a lot of stress on your knees. Squats and lunges are much better option and make sure there is balance bettwen hip flexors and hamstring, if hip flexors and too strong it can be also the reason why ur knee is painful.
    Last edited by Szyszak; 01-06-2020 at 03:43 PM.