BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50)

What to do now? Body Recomposition? How?

Hi, I am new to this forum but have heard a lot about it and how it has helped so many people.

I am currently a 183lb male around 5’7” tall. I use to weigh 221lb up to July 8 but I did Keto diet the month of July 8-August 8 and lost 20lb. Over the months of August-October I then had went down to 183lb and have been stuck in this “plateau” ever since. According to the picture above and the bit of knowledge I have, i believe a come in at around 30% body fat percentage (this is a complete guess, if anyone has a better idea let me know but I dont have calipers to attempt to measure somewhat accurately).

To be completely honest, I work out 4 days a week weight training for around an average of 1.5hrs each day and I do 11min of HIIT on the treadmill at the end if each session of weights for that day. I have unfortunately not been working out for about 2 months now because of College Finals, Holidays (being at home away from a gym), as well as a medical issue.

Nonetheless I have remained within the 180lb-185lb threshold for about 3 months now and I cannot manage to break out of it. It is also important to note that I do a one-meal-a-day eating schedule with the exception of a protein shake in the morning. I go to the gym on an empty stomach to utilize my current stored fat as energy and eat dinner after the gym. My dinner is the one meal I have each day. Even the occasional cheating if I were to eat more than once in the day does not affect my weight.

While I have noticed that I have been gaining some strength at the gym (being able to lift more), I have not seen any changes physically (visually) since the plateau.

Any advice on what I can do? I want to get out this rut that I am currently in and I would like to end 2020 with the physique that I desire. I have the drive to do whatever it takes but I am now at a point where I eat 1 meal in the day (arguably always being in a caloric deficit) but sustaining the same physique and weight.

I was interested in conducting Body Recomposition being that I am a relatively new lifter and I am only 20yo. Any advice and encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I have been doing this alone for the most part and while I am aware that it may take more than just a year, I would like to get at least as close as I can to my dream physique as much as possible.

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I would continue to lose fat based on your picture. You can keep the calorie deficit moderate (say 300-500 calories per day) and try to keep gaining strength. If you are using a well known novice routine like Fierce 5, it should hopefully drive some progress despite the deficit. Protein needs to be high (at least 150g per day) but there is no need to complicate it more than that because it won't affect results.

rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good advice already and I'm sure you'll get more. I'll add that you should stop that protein shake in the morning and move it over to your one meal. Drink water instead. It can be argued that IF or OMAD doesn't increase weight loss. However you might enjoy the burst of energy and flatter feeling stomach you'll get in the first half of the day fasting. Part of dieting is mind games. Any advantage in your favor is good.
    The three D's - Desire, Determination and Dedication!

BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50) BFPman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you both for the quick responses. I really appreciate the info and I will keep everyone posted on this thread with any progress.

I will definitely take the advice into account.

I was initially going to have the protein shake after the workout but being that I eat dinner i worry that the load of food would be too much to be capable of reaching the intended protein per day that i need/want to take in.

Is the fact that ive been taking it in the morning inhibiting my progress? Should i move it with/after my dinner even tho that might prevent me from eating as much?

Thanks for everything so far.

rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BFPman View Post
    Thank you both for the quick responses. I really appreciate the info and I will keep everyone posted on this thread with any progress.

I will definitely take the advice into account.

I was initially going to have the protein shake after the workout but being that I eat dinner i worry that the load of food would be too much to be capable of reaching the intended protein per day that i need/want to take in.

Is the fact that ive been taking it in the morning inhibiting my progress? Should i move it with/after my dinner even tho that might prevent me from eating as much?

Thanks for everything so far.
    My point was, if you're trying to do IF having that protein shake in the morning defeats it. IF is not a magic bullet to losing weight or more so fat. It's an eating strategy that can help some eat less calories and remain in a deficit. Also some people are more active, motivated and alert in a fasted state.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Your shake, meal timing and meal frequency doesn't matter regarding fatloss its all about weekly calorie consumption. Overall calories and protein will determine fatloss. If you aren't losing then your weekly calories are too high. You need to concentrate on fatloss with a decent deficit and not dwell on recomp. Whatever your calories are now, drop a few hundred per day and train properly.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Oh I see, okay, i will try that. Today I had a much Higher intake of protein so I will go tot he gym and see how I feel.

I thought, with my current state, it would be smart to conduct a body recomp, would it not?

Wouldnt dropping calories also arguably drop my protein? I want to maintain/build my muscle while losing the weight.

Thanks

Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Oh I see, okay, i will try that. Today I had a much Higher intake of protein so I will go tot he gym and see how I feel.

I thought, with my current state, it would be smart to conduct a body recomp, would it not?

Wouldnt dropping calories also arguably drop my protein? I want to maintain/build my muscle while losing the weight.

Thanks
    drop some carbs keep protein where it is. Concentrate on fat loss and muscle maintenance. The muscle building can come after you’re at a reasonable leaner body fat amount. Recomps can backfire. Fat loss program will be more productive and you’ll see your body change much faster.
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 01-02-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Timing of protein?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering. Based on the information already discussed, should I be taking in protein right before I go to bed? I have heard that since i work out in the evening and eat my dinner (which is my one meal for the day) after working out that maybe I should have my protein shake and bar right before going to bed.

Any thoughts on this?

I have no problem doing this but I worry about calories right before bed. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for all the advice.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I would advise getting more than 25g of protein with every meal you have. I personally do take protein just before bed too (so 4 daily feeings in total) but if this causes your sleep to suffer, it's not worth it - 3 protein feedings per day will be just fine. Sleep is way more important than the 4th feeding (as long as the daily total is overall the same)

snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering. Based on the information already discussed, should I be taking in protein right before I go to bed? I have heard that since i work out in the evening and eat my dinner (which is my one meal for the day) after working out that maybe I should have my protein shake and bar right before going to bed.

Any thoughts on this?

I have no problem doing this but I worry about calories right before bed. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for all the advice.
    always real food over shakes and bars, one meal a day I don’t recommend but as stated above over all meal times and amount ate doesn’t matter, what matters is total cals per day and meeting protein and fat requirements, if your not losing weight eat less
    Insta is username snails.r.us

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I would advise getting more than 25g of protein with every meal you have. I personally do take protein just before bed too (so 4 daily feeings in total) but if this causes your sleep to suffer, it's not worth it - 3 protein feedings per day will be just fine. Sleep is way more important than the 4th feeding (as long as the daily total is overall the same)
    This would be my advice.

I personally always consume some protein close to bed time as during sleep you have 5-9+hrs (depending on your sleep pattern) without some amino acids for MPS. Will it make a huge difference very unlikely but any benefit is better then not doing.

I found one of the advantages of consuming a protein shake before bed is that it doesn't interfere with whole food consumption during the day. Most shakes suppress my appetite to the point I struggle to get the proper nutrition in. That could be good for some. But I'm cutting under 1,800 cals and need to get those calories in. Plus my body doesn't like to eat more than a pound of meat every day. Listen to your body and follow what it's trying to tell you is my advice.

Hi Everyone,

You all brought up interesting points regarding my protein shake question. I was wondering, being that I am trying to lose weight, while maintaining/building muscle, I am concerned about doing One Meal A Day BUT I also fear about overdoing my calories for the day by having multiple meals.

My eating habits are styles in a way that when I eat, I eat to get full. Because of this, having multiple meals in the day may lead me to having a surplus of calories (which I am clearly trying to avoid). On the other hand though, eating One meal is, I feel, leading me to not take in enough protein (I believe a good target for me is around 150g/day being that im a 183lb male and 0.8g/lb would be around that 150g).

Basically my question is:
    Which is more important, being in a guaranteed caloric deficit through One Meal A Day with the potential sacrifice of protein intake, or, eating multiple times in the day to push towards that Protein goal with the risk of breaking the Caloric Deficit into a Surplus?

Thanks for all your help.

Calorie deficit is more important for fat loss - but you should try getting protein feedings at other times of day and see how it affects your appetite. You might be worrying over nothing

Which is more important, being in a guaranteed caloric deficit through One Meal A Day with the potential sacrifice of protein intake, or, eating multiple times in the day to push towards that Protein goal with the risk of breaking the Caloric Deficit into a Surplus?

for WEIGHT loss. 1 meal a day is fine if that works for you. For FAT loss it’s better to have protein throughout the day to assist with maintaining muscle.
    You just need to train yourself to not overeat with multiple meals a day. I didn't see where you mentioned calories so Im assuming you don't count. If you start doing that you'll be able to control your intake and not have to do OMAD to avoid overeating.
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 01-04-2020 at 10:29 AM.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi Everyone,

You all brought up interesting points regarding my protein shake question. I was wondering, being that I am trying to lose weight, while maintaining/building muscle, I am concerned about doing One Meal A Day BUT I also fear about overdoing my calories for the day by having multiple meals.

My eating habits are styles in a way that when I eat, I eat to get full. Because of this, having multiple meals in the day may lead me to having a surplus of calories (which I am clearly trying to avoid). On the other hand though, eating One meal is, I feel, leading me to not take in enough protein (I believe a good target for me is around 150g/day being that im a 183lb male and 0.8g/lb would be around that 150g).

OP, you've received a ton of good advice in this thread concerning caloric deficit and protein needs. Don't make it more complicated than it is. If you can't achieve your targets doing OMAD (which is totally unnecessary), then don't do it. Simple.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    for WEIGHT loss. 1 meal a day is fine if that works for you. For FAT loss it’s better to have protein throughout the day to assist with maintaining muscle.
    You just need to train yourself to not overeat with multiple meals a day. I didn't see where you mentioned calories so Im assuming you don't count. If you start doing that you'll be able to control your intake and not have to do OMAD to avoid overeating.

Thank you so much for this reply, I didn’t even realize that I was treating Weightloss and Fatloss as the same thing. This clears it up a lot for me. I definitely am targeting Fatloss, I have just been unaware that the process for fatloss and that of weightloss are different.

Thanks for the information

Thank you so much for this reply, I didn’t even realize that I was treating Weightloss and Fatloss as the same thing. This clears it up a lot for me. I definitely am targeting Fatloss, I have just been unaware that the process for fatloss and that of weightloss are different.

Thanks for the information
    Yes they are completely different. A decent calorie deficit and regular protein and a solid weight training plan and you'll lose mostly fat and little if any muscle. A decent sized calorie deficit that lacks either sub optimum protein feedings and\or a good training program and your losses will come from muscle as well as fat. The training is the biggest factor, however.

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Yes they are completely different. A decent calorie deficit and regular protein and a solid weight training plan and you'll lose mostly fat and little if any muscle. A decent sized calorie deficit that lacks either sub optimum protein feedings and\or a good training program and your losses will come from muscle as well as fat. The training is the biggest factor, however.

That makes a lot of sense. I will definitely reconsider the way I have been treating the process.

My new plan for the next few months is structured around my college schedule as:

Monday: Wake Up, Workout, Eat Eggs, Classes, ENGN Shred Pre-Workout (30min before workout), Workout, Dinner, Protein Shake (right before bed), Sleep

Tuesday: Rest Day

Wednesday: Same as Monday

Thursday: Same as Monday

Friday: Classes, ENGN Shred Pre-Workout (30min before workout), Workout, Dinner, Protein Shake (right before bed), Sleep

Saturday: Same as Friday

Sunday: Same as Friday

Any thoughts on this plan? I wanted to work out as much as I can throughout the week but idk if it’s too much. I am not too new to the gym and if I set a schedule I’ll abide by it but I wanted to know what are everyones thoughts on this system.

Thanks for everything.

That makes a lot of sense. I will definitely reconsider the way I have been treating the process.

My new plan for the next few months is structured around my college schedule as:

Monday: Wake Up, Workout, Eat Eggs, Classes, ENGN Shred Pre-Workout (30min before workout), Workout, Dinner, Protein Shake (right before bed), Sleep

Friday: Classes, ENGN Shred Pre-Workout (30min before workout), Workout, Dinner, Protein Shake (right before bed), Sleep

Any thoughts on this plan? I wanted to work out as much as I can throughout the week but idk if it’s too much. I am not too new to the gym and if I set a schedule I’ll abide by it but I wanted to know what are everyones thoughts on this system.

Thanks for everything.
    Just do it and see if it's a comfortable process and if you're getting results. It may take a few different versions of your plan until you get it how you want it. The key is to start somewhere and review and adjust as you move forward.

snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I

Thanks for everything.
    very very very very unlikely it’s too much. What’s your routine and if muscle growth is your goal then protein and working out is key, if you just want to lose weight just eat less, frequent meals can help with hunger because when blood sugar gets too low people tend to binge eat, also once you transition to training again it will be less of an adjustment. IF is horrible in my opinion.
    Insta is username snails.r.us

Thank you everyone for the advice

I will take it all to mind and attempt this schedule for the next few weeks. If it does not work well or if it is too much I will adjust it.

I am currently at a weight of 181.6 from the 183 since starting this thread but I think that is just my body adjusting to working out again after a long time of not doing it.

Anyone have thoughts on the Preworkout i chose (ENGN Shred). I was told by friends that since I am doing IF that it would be wise to use Preworkouts but I havent bought or used it yet.

Thanks for all the helpful comments
    Last edited by BFPman; 01-05-2020 at 08:02 PM.

schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you everyone for the advice

I will take it all to mind and attempt this schedule for the next few weeks. If it does not work well or if it is too much I will adjust it.

I am currently at a weight of 181.6 from the 183 since starting this thread but I think that is just my body adjusting to working out again after a long time of not doing it.

Anyone have thoughts on the Preworkout i chose (ENGN Shred). I was told by friends that since I am doing IF that it would be wise to use Preworkouts but I havent bought or used it yet.

Thanks for all the helpful comments
    I think if the PWO contains ECCA's or BCCA's you will spike your insulin or break your fast, better to take Creatine on its own (if you want to maintain the Fast through the workout) - please correct me if I am wrong guys.

Although having said that - is it not better to take the ECCA's or BCCA's in your PWO incl Creatine, in order to preserve muscle if you train under IFasting?

Originally Posted by schrickm5 View Post
    I think if the PWO contains ECCA's or BCCA's you will spike your insulin or break your fast, better to take Creatine on its own (if you want to maintain the Fast through the workout) - please correct me if I am wrong guys.

Although having said that - is it not better to take the ECCA's or BCCA's in your PWO incl Creatine, in order to preserve muscle if you train under IFasting?
    Any protein or protein fraction can produce an insulin reaction - but only enough to maintain blood sugar levels in a healthy person. I don't see why this would be a problem for training - there are no proven benefits of being technically fasted when training (and several good reasons why it's better not to be).

Originally Posted by schrickm5 View Post

Its my fault that I didn’t specify. I am mostlikely going to stop IF in order to workout 2x a day some days throughout the week. Doing this i would mostlikely eat eggs or some form of protein after my first workout that day (and have the preworkout before that same workout) and for the second workout i would go in without the preworkout and have dinner afterwards. I have actually started finding an interest in Optimum Nutrition’s Preworkout. My original liking of ENGN Shred is that it has 500mg of L-Carnitine for Fatburning while ON only has 375mg of L-Carnitine. Idk if this is a significant amount of L-Carnitine but ON is Significantly cheaper than ENGN Shred going for $15 vs $35 for 30 servings/tub.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Last edited by BFPman; 01-08-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Update

Just an Update for everyone who is still following.

I am now 180lbs. Using Optimum Nutrition PWO and Whey Protein as well as Pure Protein Bars. Fluctuating between OMAD and a standard multi-meal eating schedule (haven’t gotten that settled in consistency yet). Trying to get my protein as high as I can but struggling to reach around 180g. I do Bro-Split for my workout and go a minimum of 5x to the gym per week (depending in my schedule). Any thoughts on anything i should change?

Thanks

Any ideas re

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So you've lost 3 lbs in the past 2 weeks? Sounds like you are doing things right. Good work.