anonymous

Goddamit popped my hammie

I was all set to pull 455 x 10 and 3 reps in rippppp and my left hammie pops. Went to the nearest urgent care and the doc guesstimates its about 20% torn and a stage 2 muscle tear at the tendon attachment - but now I'm going to have to wait until next year to get an MRI etc

I think if this isn't more serious than a muscle rip then I'm going to restrict myself to light RDL once this heals

Getting old is fun

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sorry to hear, Half. I didn't think there were any body parts left that you haven't broken or torn. Just kidding.

If it's 20% torn, I guess it can heal slowly on its own?

I pulled my left groin bad 3 months ago and it is just now now feeling decent. I still challenge myself, but no more big risks. Self-preservation. I have substuted Rack Pulls for deads.

Heal fast, buddy.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

anonymous
    Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    Sorry to hear, Half. I didn't think there were any body parts left that you haven't broken or torn. Just kidding.

If it's 20% torn, I guess it can heal slowly on its own?

I pulled my left groin bad 3 months ago and it is just now now feeling decent. I still challenge myself, but no more big risks. Self-preservation. I have substuted Rack Pulls for deads.

Heal fast, buddy.
    Groin strains sound awful, that must have been a rough 3 months. I think you're right about full deads, just not worth the effort

I've had horrific bursitis on the left side for months which probably messed up my pull, hopefully the er dr is right in his assessment but after taking a closer look I'm worried the attachment is popped by the inside of the knee. I have to wait a long long week for an MRI to find out

Should have kept my ass home but xmas has dragged on way too long with fam staying and constant Garbage food so I went out dehydrated, tired and in a bad mood. Bad combo!

I can walk on it (barely) and can flex it but my god it hurts to do that

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sorry to hear this and that sounds painful. I hope you're able to work around it and it heals.

Healing vibes and feel better.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Tore my right last year in jujitsu. Never had it looked at took about 6 months before it was okay to squat probably and deadlift. It’s still tighter than the left and I need to work on mobility because I think it being tight is causing some lower back issues. Good luck. Do what you can to keep moving while it heals.

anonymous
    Thanks for the replies, and the perspective from those who've been through this.

It appears it's actually torn in 2 spots, the doc saw me with my underwear on and now I'm home and examining it it looks like it went down by the knee on the inside AND up under the glute on the outside. I'm praying the glute area doesnt involve tendon tearing because that would be horrific to try to come back from

The ripping sound I heard when it went was horribly similar to the sound my bicep made when it peeled off the bone.

ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I hope it's not too bad, but why do you have to wait on the MRI? Just can't get in right away, or wanting to push the charge into next years insurance?

I though quick assessment and treatment (if needed) were crucial for optimum recovery.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wow, that sucks. I was doing the exact same thing as you -- RDL with 455. On the third rep, I felt a pop in my left hamstring. The pain was immediate, and a few days later I could see a bruise underneath where it had bled. I don't think mine was very severe because the pain was mostly gone in about 3-4 weeks, but after that incident, I never went that heavy again with RDL.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

anonymous
    Originally Posted by ImBunky View Post
    I hope it's not too bad, but why do you have to wait on the MRI? Just can't get in right away, or wanting to push the charge into next years insurance?

I though quick assessment and treatment (if needed) were crucial for optimum recovery.
    The unfortunate timing around NYE makes this harder

Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    Wow, that sucks. I was doing the exact same thing as you -- RDL with 455. On the third rep, I felt a pop in my left hamstring. The pain was immediate, and a few days later I could see a bruise underneath where it had bled. I don't think mine was very severe because the pain was mostly gone in about 3-4 weeks, but after that incident, I never went that heavy again with RDL.
    Ouch! Do you remember if you could walk on it? My lower tear seems moderate but its swelling up under my ass cheek. I had no bleeding with any tears so I'm weird like that

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Man!!!! I was really tempted by the other deadlift thread to go in and blow some dust off the bar!

That really sucks! I tore my hamstring with a stage II falling off my dirtbike. I heard the 'pop' like it was super loud. Had to ride back 10 miles barely being able to put weight on it. By the time I got home, it looked like you slid 2- chicken breasts under my skin the swelling was so bad.

I got in to see doc and said it was not ruptured.

Important. Rest 24 hrs and then start very light stretching. Massage, (and ultra sound if you can get it), to help break up blood in area so you can heal without too much scarring. Worst thing to do is just 'rest' without light rehab while it heals.

My injury was back before I was lifting, but that hamstring has never quite developed the same and that leg is about a full inch smaller than my other. Dont know if it is related, but I never had an MRI done.

I dont know what the answer is.....or advice to give. I am struggling with similar (although not as bad) issues. Part of me is just at the 'stay in shape' part, but we did not get where we are because we like to just take it easy

One thing I am going to try is switching over to DC training. Have not done it yet. While people call it a "heavy" program, it is not how I define 'heavy'. Anything I can do for 10 reps is still 'light' in my book. And back and legs dont get done with rest-pause for safety in not losing form from fatigue. I have no idea how it will be, but I will be dropping training to 3 days/ week, but actually hitting bodyparts more often due to the a/b arrangement.

Lots of good links, but here is one that spells stuff out pretty well
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/a-load...ybuilding.html

Just some thoughts! Heal up brother!
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ughh, hoping for a full, quick recovery, not the way anyone wants to start out a new year.
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bummer. Getting old is not easy on us!
    Journal- One of the Ogres
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139651333

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Halfway View Post

Ouch! Do you remember if you could walk on it? My lower tear seems moderate but its swelling up under my ass cheek. I had no bleeding with any tears so I'm weird like that
    I did walk on it, but it was painful. It sounds like yours is more severe than mine was though. After about 3 weeks, I went back to very light RDL's using just the bar and gradually worked my way back up. Heaviest I have gone since then was 405 and haven't had a problem since.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I did walk on it, but it was painful. It sounds like yours is more severe than mine was though. After about 3 weeks, I went back to very light RDL's using just the bar and gradually worked my way back up. Heaviest I have gone since then was 405 and haven't had a problem since.
    Karl is a freak of nature. I have often wondered if he is human given his extraterrestrial strength and insistence on wearing a wife-beater to WalMart. Nevertheless, he is a gentleman I would have a drink with any day or night.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    Karl is a freak of nature. I have often wondered if he is human given his extraterrestrial strength and insistence on wearing a wife-beater to WalMart. Nevertheless, he is a gentleman I would have a drink with any day or night.
    The wifebeater is only on days I am not going shirtless in a pair of overalls and wearing a "Who farted?" baseball cap at a truck pull.

And right back at ya brother. A bottle of Islay Scotch and I am there either way. Happy new year Mark!

The wifebeater is only on days I am not going shirtless in a pair of overalls and wearing a "Who farted?" baseball cap at a truck pull.

And right back at ya brother. A bottle of Islay Scotch and I am there either way. Happy new year Mark!
    Happy New Year, my man

anonymous
    I_d I did dc for a while back in the mid 00s, that kind of load is probably still too much for me to be confident with now. I've been hitting my upper body with moderate volume and very high reps and had pretty good results, since my shoulder repair it's been mostly 15-30 rep sets and a lot of cable work and so far so good

The ortho I saw this afternoon said these injuries are load dependent and agreed that 2-3 plates for slow RDL would probably be ok once this all heals up

The annoying thing is I was going to get the bursa cut out my left hip next month, but since my ham injury is on the right side I can't do that for a while. The bursa pain is ironically worse than the torn muscle and even the oxy/tradol/c4 cocktail doesn't touch it

The ortho said that he doesnt do ham tendon repairs even if its partially torn because of the degree of force on that attachment etc he prefers to just let it scar down.

MRI is booked for Thursday morning and it looks like my break is getting extended a few days as I can't use my standing desk at work just yet.

anonymous
    Got the MRI results yesterday and went over it with an ortho. He seems to think the tear is just in one spot but I have a giant bruise at both ends of the muscle. Apparently 3 of the muscles tore. TBH I have no idea how this happened given the relatively low weight and that scares me

Luckily it looks like it's just a grade 2 muscle belly tear with no tendon involvement, but it hurts like **** to walk and my whole leg is bruised to hell and has swollen up so much that it looks like it came off a plus size model

Getting a 2nd opinion on monday and possibly going to try a seated light machine upper back wo tomorrow since I need to keep moving. The ortho said this might take 8 or more weeks to heal, sigh

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wow, not a great start to the year but very pleased to hear it's not as bad as the first assessment guessed.

Maybe this can't be blamed on age?
    * You're more resilient than the estimate from the first doc
    * Young athletes also frequently injure hamstring

I think speed of healing is where your age would be relevant (if it's going to be a factor). But given your current physical condition I bet £5 (or $5) that you'll heal way way better than Joe Average.

chacha15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chacha15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chacha15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chacha15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chacha15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chacha15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chacha15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chacha15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chacha15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chacha15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chacha15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

first time I pulled mine was while stretching for a fly ball in the outfield. Right when I leaped for it I heard a loud pop. Getting home and the next few weeks were a nightmare.

during rehab, walking on a slope or hill was painful but helpful for the healing process.
    One more Rep!! Yea!
    []D [] []v[] []D

anonymous
    6 days out, back in the gym to do some super light 30-50 rep upper back cable and machine work so I don't go crazy

The paranoia about tearing something else is killing me, both orthostatic I saw said its load dependent when a muscle tears on the concentric, compared to tendons which accumulate damage and then often randomly tear on the eccentric

I guess I'm going back to training legs with 30+ reps whenever I can actually do that and not going below 20 for anything else

Does anyone have any thoughts on volume and muscle tears?

induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think blood flow (in general) is good to the area. With these things, I have always followed 'let pain be your guide'.

Also when I tore mine, my chiro did bi-weekly ultrasound to the area. Some may say it does nothing, but he felt like it really does help to break up blood from the injured area so that it can heal better. Massaging (not to a point of pain) is also something he highly recommended. After it heals, you can get nasty with some deep tissue but for now, it is all about blood flow in and out.

Good luck man!
    RAW lifts

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The ortho said this might take 8 or more weeks to heal, sigh
    This isn't really bad news IMO, 8 weeks is just a blip over a long lifting career.

I agree with ID in keeping the blood flowing. Has always helped me speed up the healing.

Best

anonymous
    Thanks guys, I'm forcing myself to move but its hard when it hurts so damn much

I'm no pussy but this hurts way worse than any other injury I've had or even post surgery pain, it's insane

The 2nd ortho went over the MRI this morning and said the tear was about 6-8 inches vertically all along the musclotendionous junction where all the muscles connect to the main tendon

I'm no pussy but this hurts way worse than any other injury I've had or even post surgery pain, it's insane

The 2nd ortho went over the MRI this morning and said the tear was about 6-8 inches vertically all along the musclotendionous junction where all the muscles connect to the main tendon
    I have no advice, Half, other than I feel for you. I hope the docs can assist with pain management and rehab.

All the best.

I dont remember mine hurting as much as you describe. My swelling after the injury for about 2 days was really bad. Equiv to sliding 2 chicken breasts under my skin. My hamstrings have never looked so full

I remember I got frost bite from icing too long so bad is scarred the back of my leg which took a few years to go away.

I think it was 2 or 3 months until I really tried to push it. I was stretching ever night with a towel around toes. Just nice easy tension. Right where I felt the stretch, but before it was painful. I would then massage for a bit, and go back to stretching. Ice followed.

I also took motrin for a few weeks following. I generally will never take pain meds, but in the case of injury, I think it helped keep inflammation down.

Good luck man!
    RAW lifts

anonymous
    Hammie seems mostly healed, which is just as well

On Tuesday I had my left bursa cut out, femur impingement cut down again, cartilage cleaned up and remaining labrum debrided.

So far recovery has been great, 3 days post surgery I went back to the gym and can drive, walk without crutches etc.

walk without crutches etc.
    Well that's good. I'm only on my 13th year under a heavy barbell. If I ever get to the point where I'm on crutches Ima head out fellas.

JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Wishing you a speedy recovery.......