gyroball is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Knee catching when stretching it out as I lie on the couch

So my knee catches when I stretch it out when I'm lying on the couch. What causes this? This started around 3 years ago. When the Patriots played the Falcons I believe in the Super Bowl. I posted about this a while back but I can't remember how to look at old posts. Ok so I went to two different doctors. One said I should go back and get a referral from my doctor before he could help and he got an MRI so I could go to the physio therapy. Then I went to physio therapy and they didn't really know what was wrong. So then I went back to another doctor and he said my knee was strong but he said something like there was a nail in my knee. I wondered if he was talking about the rod that was in my femur as I had broken my femur a few years back and they put a rod in it but not a nail. I just hate this so much it's so annoying. Are there any exercises I can do that get rid of the catching?

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    "something like there was a nail in my knee"

Sherlock, I would start your journey of self-discovery there. Maybe should have listened a little bit more to the doc.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post

Sherlock, I would start your journey of self-discovery there. Maybe should have listened a little bit more to the doc.
    I think what he was trying to say was like, my pelvis was strong and didn't have any weird formations or anything.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gyroball View Post
    I think what he was trying to say was like, my pelvis was strong and didn't have any weird formations or anything.
    How did you come up with that? After all, you went on to say
    I wondered if he was talking about the rod that was in my femur
    You "wasted" an MRI by failing to have a coherent conversation with your doctor, I'm afraid.

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How does having a strong pelvis effect knee mobility?

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    How does having a strong pelvis effect knee mobility?
    I don't really know. I do know that I've been taking calcium supplements for 2 days in a row now and I wonder if I may have overdosed on calcium 3 years ago or something. Because the calcium is really helping.

BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Knee catching is almost always cased by a torn meniscus. The little tear flaps out at certain angles, gets stuck. It can also be a piece of the ACL or PCL ligaments. I'm hesitant to say this is 100% what it is, simply because it's so obvious, I would hope the doc and physio would rule it out, but then again, in my physio training/practice I don't remember many intelligent or dedicated colleagues.

I'd get another opinion, say you think it's a torn meniscus. It's fixed quite easily, keyhole surgery snips off just the little tab that sticks out. If it's totally screwed, they can pull the whole half meniscus out, apparently it has no long term effects, I wouldn't be so sure myself.

Edit: Also MRI doesn't always pick it up, because if it's not currently sticking out, it's very hard to spot.