Reply
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Registered User TheShadowMan's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Posts: 2,138
    Rep Power: 12849
    TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    TheShadowMan is offline

    Titan barbell any good?

    So i'm in the market for a barbell, doesn't have to be terribly amazing as it's just for home use. I came across an inexpensive one on Titan's website selling for $100 currently, so it's an economy level. Specwise it sounds like a steal, 1000lb limit, 165,000 psi tested, 4 8" and 1 7" center diamond knurls(although amazon shows a picture with no center knurl?), 86", 52" between sleeves, 30mm grip diameter, and steel with a chrome finish. Can't really throw 3 or 4 hundred down on a bar right now, so i'm wondering if this is a good barbell to start with? Anyone have experience with it?
    Last edited by TheShadowMan; 12-26-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

    Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Gen X·er keyboardworkout's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Posts: 15,166
    Rep Power: 128178
    keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    keyboardworkout is offline
    The chrome finish is the worrisome part. Cheap chrome always flakes.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew^^^^^^
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User gym62richard's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Age: 57
    Posts: 2,494
    Rep Power: 15690
    gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    gym62richard is offline
    Originally Posted by keyboardworkout View Post
    The chrome finish is the worrisome part. Cheap chrome always flakes.
    Yes, if the chrome finish wasn't up to scratch it would annoy the hell out of me, flaking chrome on the floor and bare patches on the bar?, I'm not suggesting this particular bar is afflicted, but the chrome work on most economy bars that I've handled did not stand up too well.
    The fact that it's a 30mm bar isn't an issue, but when the pictures don't match up with the advertised description?, especially if centre knurling is important?.

    There doesn't seem to be much feedback on this bar, for $100 a more recognised bar on the used market may be a better option.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User TheShadowMan's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Posts: 2,138
    Rep Power: 12849
    TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    TheShadowMan is offline
    Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    Yes, if the chrome finish wasn't up to scratch it would annoy the hell out of me, flaking chrome on the floor and bare patches on the bar?, I'm not suggesting this particular bar is afflicted, but the chrome work on most economy bars that I've handled did not stand up too well.
    The fact that it's a 30mm bar isn't an issue, but when the pictures don't match up with the advertised description?, especially if centre knurling is important?.

    There doesn't seem to be much feedback on this bar, for $100 a more recognised bar on the used market may be a better option.
    I looked into it a bit and the 1000lb rated one has no center knurling, but the 700lb rated one has it. I thought that was an odd detail, but I know that i'll be needing it for things like squats and close grip benchpresses. Since they're both about the same price, would it be better to go with the 700lb one(if I end up not going through the local used market, that is) since it'll be a very very long time before I lift anywhere near that much?
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

    Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User gym62richard's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Age: 57
    Posts: 2,494
    Rep Power: 15690
    gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    gym62richard is offline
    Originally Posted by TheShadowMan View Post
    I looked into it a bit and the 1000lb rated one has no center knurling, but the 700lb rated one has it. I thought that was an odd detail, but I know that i'll be needing it for things like squats and close grip benchpresses. Since they're both about the same price, would it be better to go with the 700lb one(if I end up not going through the local used market, that is) since it'll be a very very long time before I lift anywhere near that much?
    Bar ratings can be misleading, for 95% of us lifters we would be extremely unlikely to bend a bar unless it's been dropped, particularly onto rack safeties., in this scenario even a high end barbell will most probably bend.

    For stronger lifters a budget bar, say rated at 700lb, even under normal lifting conditions, could potentially permanently bend with as little as 400lb on the bar.

    Bars at the lower end of the market are generally a bit hit and miss, for $100, if you don't like the bar you could sell and not lose too much.

    If you intend squatting with the bar, then for my money centre knurling is important.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User DarthCholo's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2019
    Posts: 249
    Rep Power: 1277
    DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000)
    DarthCholo is offline
    Only downside is the cheap chrome. You'll be peeling and seeing shiny glitter on your hands. Rather have bare steel .
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User lsi1's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2016
    Age: 38
    Posts: 1,391
    Rep Power: 3661
    lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lsi1 is offline
    Short answer you will be fine. Long answer most of us have become spoiled with lots of good barbells and wouldn't buy it because of tiny details like possibly flaking chrome or poor sleeve spin. The 30mm could potentially hold back your deadlift(not that much and if you can learn to grip that anything thinner in the future should be easier) but may be bennificial to squat and bench.
    Best Lifts
    BP 255
    SQ 425
    DL 435
    OHP 195
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User DarthCholo's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2019
    Posts: 249
    Rep Power: 1277
    DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000) DarthCholo is just really nice. (+1000)
    DarthCholo is offline
    Originally Posted by lsi1 View Post
    Short answer you will be fine. Long answer most of us have become spoiled with lots of good barbells and wouldn't buy it because of tiny details like possibly flaking chrome or poor sleeve spin. The 30mm could potentially hold back your deadlift(not that much and if you can learn to grip that anything thinner in the future should be easier) but may be bennificial to squat and bench.
    I forget this sometimes too.

    Still, if you're never going to upgrade id say spend a little more. If you think you'll really want to upgrade one day then buy used and save for the big upgrade.

    Even with that, my advice is to spend 50 bucks more for one of these.

    150
    https://www.repfitness.com/rep-sabre-bar

    200
    https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-echo-bar
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User radrd's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2018
    Age: 38
    Posts: 2,484
    Rep Power: 20384
    radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    radrd is offline
    Originally Posted by DarthCholo View Post
    I forget this sometimes too.

    Still, if you're never going to upgrade id say spend a little more. If you think you'll really want to upgrade one day then buy used and save for the big upgrade.

    Even with that, my advice is to spend 50 bucks more for one of these.

    150
    https://www.repfitness.com/rep-sabre-bar

    200
    https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-echo-bar
    Agreed. Also, you'll pretty much always get the best deal on the used market, but there's usually sweat equity involved.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User skrebs01's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Posts: 447
    Rep Power: 1210
    skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000)
    skrebs01 is offline
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Agreed. Also, you'll pretty much always get the best deal on the used market, but there's usually sweat equity involved.
    Look for a used York split sleeve bar or Texas power bar.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User sera310's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2016
    Age: 60
    Posts: 183
    Rep Power: 1066
    sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000)
    sera310 is offline
    Originally Posted by lsi1 View Post
    The 30mm could potentially hold back your deadlift(not that much and if you can learn to grip that anything thinner in the future should be easier) but may be bennificial to squat and bench.
    This has been my experience. I have a 31mm power bar and it is great for pressing movements, but for pulling, it is a serious grip workout. For that I use a 28mm bar. the 3mm is VERY noticeable. when I want to work my grip, I use the Fat Gripz.

    For starting out, to have 1 barbell, I'd get something 28.5mm but not with a chrome coating.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Kiwi Battler BenMcLeodNZ's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Posts: 2,920
    Rep Power: 9531
    BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    BenMcLeodNZ is offline
    I wouldn't worry about flaking chrome, even in cheap bars, it only really happens on spinlock collars if you hit them with a hammer.

    165k psi will eventually bend if treated badly in a commercial gym, but you won't.

    I'd use that bar for sure, don't fall for the memes, it will be fine, people seem to love CAP bars and their psi is much lower.
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User TheShadowMan's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Posts: 2,138
    Rep Power: 12849
    TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    TheShadowMan is offline
    Originally Posted by BenMcLeodNZ View Post
    I wouldn't worry about flaking chrome, even in cheap bars, it only really happens on spinlock collars if you hit them with a hammer.

    165k psi will eventually bend if treated badly in a commercial gym, but you won't.

    I'd use that bar for sure, don't fall for the memes, it will be fine, people seem to love CAP bars and their psi is much lower.
    I don't have the greatest confidence in some things cap makes, I remember hearing about their dumbbells actually shattering down the center of the handle(grey iron hex) and serious inconsistencies with their weight plates. That sabre from Rep looks pretty good, but as i'm low on cash it'd be between the Titan and that one, I suppose. I mean if cost wasn't an object i'd love a stainless steel bar, but i'm just shopping for my first crossover into olympic, I figure it doesn't have to be the greatest ya? Indoor usage, apartment, carpeted, relatively low humidity around here - would it still rust as much as to affect spin?
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

    Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Registered User lsi1's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2016
    Age: 38
    Posts: 1,391
    Rep Power: 3661
    lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lsi1 is offline
    Originally Posted by TheShadowMan View Post
    I don't have the greatest confidence in some things cap makes, I remember hearing about their dumbbells actually shattering down the center of the handle(grey iron hex) and serious inconsistencies with their weight plates. That sabre from Rep looks pretty good, but as i'm low on cash it'd be between the Titan and that one, I suppose. I mean if cost wasn't an object i'd love a stainless steel bar, but i'm just shopping for my first crossover into olympic, I figure it doesn't have to be the greatest ya? Indoor usage, apartment, carpeted, relatively low humidity around here - would it still rust as much as to affect spin?
    take it apart and grease it every once in a while and it'll be just fine.
    Best Lifts
    BP 255
    SQ 425
    DL 435
    OHP 195
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts