Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Older age and training

I am one to never use age as an excuse for not progressing and this post is not about that.

However what I want to point out is that, now at 55 I am feeling a little softer than I normally feel. I can't blame it on not going to the gym as I have been out of the gym before and while I lost size/mass I always remain "hard" to an extent.

Now of late, my muscles seem to be softening up a bit, let me explain. If I flex my chest, arms, legs etc I can still press them in where as before they felt like a rock. Any of you older natural fellas feeling the same? Please note I underlined natural as most of you know (at least I hope you do) you can continue keeping that "dense" feeling if you are on and while I don't want to derail this post on that subject, I also don't want for it to be the "elephant in the room" if you will.

With that said, if you are in the same boat, what are you doing or planning to do, to continue staying "hard" for as long as you can sustain it?
    On the list for Bannukah

doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    that's a tough one. I'm 38 now and although i feel like i still have it, my joints hurt a little more and recovery takes a little longer.

I know there's a lot of factors to consider, diet, rest, program, etc., however, it's a looming concern that i have as i grow older.

My plan to to stay consistent as much as i can with my program and listen to my body more. I'm stubborn so i tend to push through my ailments like getting over a cold or sore shoulder/elbow/knees.

The "dense" feeling you mentioned is something that i know will fade but i'll try my best to prolong it naturally.
    USAF Crew
    OEF/OIF Vet (2007-2010)
    I Keep My Kicks Clean Crew
    SF 49ers Crew
    LA Lakers Crew

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by doza808 View Post
    that's a tough one. I'm 38 now and although i feel like i still have it, my joints hurt a little more and recovery takes a little longer.

I know there's a lot of factors to consider, diet, rest, program, etc., however, it's a looming concern that i have as i grow older.

My plan to to stay consistent as much as i can with my program and listen to my body more. I'm stubborn so i tend to push through my ailments like getting over a cold or sore shoulder/elbow/knees.

The "dense" feeling you mentioned is something that i know will fade but i'll try my best to prolong it naturally.
    Dude you are 38 you are not an "older" lifter! I made my best gains in my 40's
    On the list for Bannukah

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm only 42, but "hardness" from what I understand have to do with testosterone levels and training methods.

Lower reps, higher weight tend to make muscle more dense, high rep less dense.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

Originally Posted by MCrow View Post
    I'm only 42, but "hardness" from what I understand have to do with testosterone levels and training methods.

Lower reps, higher weight tend to make muscle more dense, high rep less dense.
    You are correct with the test levels, the training I am not too sure about that.

I am wondering if there is a specific diet I can go on to assist, cause I eat whatever I want and maybe there is a such a thing as clean eating.
    On the list for Bannukah

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    You are correct with the test levels, the training I am not too sure about that.

I am wondering if there is a specific diet I can go on to assist, cause I eat whatever I want and maybe there is a such a thing as clean eating.
    I would think that a high protein diet would help overall muscularity but not sure how it would affect muscle hardness.

I think a lot of it is just hormonal differences as we age.

Also, lower rep ranges cause myofibrillar hypertrophy which is the reason for more dense muscle and that's where muscle hardness comes from.

Not saying that it's the cause of your muscle feeling less hard but training in lower rep, higher weight range does increase hardness. It's also harder on the body as you age as well though.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

Registered User quicksand jesus's Avatar
    quicksand jesus is a name known to all. (+5000) quicksand jesus is a name known to all. (+5000) quicksand jesus is a name known to all. (+5000) quicksand jesus is a name known to all. (+5000) quicksand jesus is a name known to all. (+5000) quicksand jesus is a name known to all. (+5000) quicksand jesus is a name known to all. (+5000) quicksand jesus is a name known to all. (+5000) quicksand jesus is a name known to all. (+5000) quicksand jesus is a name known to all. (+5000) quicksand jesus is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I am one to never use age as an excuse for not progressing and this post is not about that.

However what I want to point out is that, now at 55 I am feeling a little softer than I normally feel. I can't blame it on not going to the gym as I have been out of the gym before and while I lost size/mass I always remain "hard" to an extent.

Now of late, my muscles seem to be softening up a bit, let me explain. If I flex my chest, arms, legs etc I can still press them in where as before they felt like a rock. Any of you older natural fellas feeling the same? Please note I underlined natural as most of you know (at least I hope you do) you can continue keeping that "dense" feeling if you are on and while I don't want to derail this post on that subject, I also don't want for it to be the "elephant in the room" if you will.

With that said, if you are in the same boat, what are you doing or planning to do, to continue staying "hard" for as long as you can sustain it?
    Good to see you doing well.

57 here. Motivation was a big road block .

Nothing scientitfic , but for me I've been doing better with this since stopped ( ok cut down alot) drinking . Also hired a trainer fhe first time and she has me doing more bodyweight exercises which seems to be helping.

That works good for me.
    COYS!

Cancer sucks!

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

I don't trust the phrase "clean eating," because it seems to mean so many different things to different people. I'd think it's a simple matter of keeping your protein high, your calories adequate, and your fiber and micronutrients abundant. To quote Omar Isuf,

"Eat your vegetables, eat your vegetables, eat your f**king vegetables!"

As for feeling a little soft, I don't think it's age. I think you're still a bit in recovery mode from all the losses you sustained earlier. You spent years building a network of connective tissue to encompass and accommodate those muscles, and that probably didn't shrink when your muscles did. They're still growing to fill the space that they left behind. You'll get there!
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    I don't trust the phrase "clean eating," because it seems to mean so many different things to different people. I'd think it's a simple matter of keeping your protein high, your calories adequate, and your fiber and micronutrients abundant. To quote Omar Isuf,

"Eat your vegetables, eat your vegetables, eat your f**king vegetables!"

As for feeling a little soft, I don't think it's age. I think you're still a bit in recovery mode from all the losses you sustained earlier. You spent years building a network of connective tissue to encompass and accommodate those muscles, and that probably didn't shrink when your muscles did. They're still growing to fill the space that they left behind. You'll get there!
    Yes, if you had a period of time where you were completely off of lifting or doing much lower frequency of training you could get a little softer muscles from that too.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

I think diet is key from reading up a little on it, I just doubt it will be that significant without resorting towards other means.
    On the list for Bannukah

doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000) doza808 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Dude you are 38 you are not an "older" lifter! I made my best gains in my 40's
    I know. I hear that all the time. However, maybe it's just a mental hump that i know i'll have to overcome sooner or later.

I hear/see a lot of stories about what other guys experienced. If you made your best gains in your 40's, i applaud you and hope to experience the same!
    USAF Crew
    OEF/OIF Vet (2007-2010)
    I Keep My Kicks Clean Crew
    SF 49ers Crew
    LA Lakers Crew

Originally Posted by doza808 View Post
    I know. I hear that all the time. However, maybe it's just a mental hump that i know i'll have to overcome sooner or later.

I hear/see a lot of stories about what other guys experienced. If you made your best gains in your 40's, i applaud you and hope to experience the same!
    Yeah my late 30's and 40's I was the biggest and strongest.
    On the list for Bannukah

ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It could be lack of metabolite build up from the lay off. The process of lifting increases the accumulation of other deposits like calcium in the muscle. It could even simply be a noticeable lack of water reention until you regain all the muscle you lost. I don't expect you'll continue feeling this way as you continue to train, assuming you get to body fat levels comparable to before.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

John, can't see you becoming bodysoft anytime soon. Welcome back BTW
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think diet is key from reading up a little on it, I just doubt it will be that significant without resorting towards other means.
    You sound like a guy looking for reasons to take that next 'step.' That's your decision.
    Envy is ignorance. Imitation is suicide.

-----R. W. Emerson

Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by KeepItMoving View Post
    You sound like a guy looking for reasons to take that next 'step.' That's your decision.
    I forbid it!!
    Hello darkness my old friend

Minke0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I know the feel. I am 44 now and also slowed down considerably. I have lifted since my early 20s, decreased my routine in my mid 30s and started again with a more intense routine about an year ago. Muscle tone is not the same as in my 30s. I am planning to start swimming to improve stretching and tone. I used to swim and I remember the many benefits. I don't plan to stop weight training, but I will be adapting to try to maintain, gain muscle that way. See where it goes.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I’m 40 now and don’t consider that old, but have had to made adjustments for recovery and joint health. I can’t just go beat myself to a pulp 4X per week, so periodization seems more important. I’ve lost some strength on big lifts from joint related issues but just continually adjust the best I can. Usually I can train hard and heavy 1-2X per week and moderate the other days. I always train to near failure, the rep ranges just change. Have not lost much mass or density but gained a few lbs that I’ll trim off before summer.

Originally Posted by KeepItMoving View Post
    I am not the kind of person that needs a reason (or a justification) to do anything KIP, I pretty much do what I want if I want to do something.
    On the list for Bannukah

clive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) clive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) clive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) clive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) clive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) clive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) clive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) clive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) clive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) clive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) clive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've not found that yet at 60, I did have a period of poor working out for some months and I did notice some softness and lose of size then. But a few weeks of intensive training everything was hard again as before and the size is coming back.
    Tennis balls?...........my Biceps are as big as Grapefruits!

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Cass40 View Post
    I forbid it!!
    Wow.

Johnny, you're going to get it all back, man. You're a freak
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Misc Blood Drive: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175220881

Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    Wow.

He totes ignored me AND he said quote: "I pretty much do what I want if I want to do something".

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    He totes ignored me AND he said quote: "I pretty much do what I want if I want to do something".
    lol, he listens
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Misc Blood Drive: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175220881

Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    lol, he listens
    No he doesn't.

MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I’m not sure if referring to the pump , but I don’t get that awesome pumped up feeling after I’m done a workout that I used to get .
    More like arthritis

MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That’s what my last girlfriend said

No he doesn't.
    Yup yup..
    On the list for Bannukah

Yup yup..
    At least he's agreeing that he never listens..

x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Let's stop talking about it and pound some iron( no perv)
    sums it up a thread will start off promising and then turn into name calling..
    The easiest way to tell when an argument has no merit is when the protagonist mixes in some personal insults.

Kewbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kewbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kewbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kewbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kewbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kewbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kewbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kewbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kewbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kewbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kewbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I made some good progress between aged 49 and 50 (over the past year). The biggest difference was diet. I used to eat whatever I want and someone got me to try some time on a brosciency clean eating (sorry) type diet and it made a big difference.