Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

General question about obtainin a certification

Hey all,

First time posting in this section.

Quick background: I'm a general pediatrician who wants to educate the broader medical community on nutrition and exercise. I've been a regular member on this forum for >15 years, I've read thousands of papers on exercise/nutrition, and I feel like I already possess the general knowledge I need to accomplish the above goal. While I don't think becoming certified as a personal trainer is necessary, I do think it would perhaps give me more credibility and make it easier to reach more people.

Specific question: are there any certifications I could obtain that do not require in person training? I could spend as much time as needed reading a textbook(s), reading/watching online articles/videos, or even doing online course work, but working full time as a pediatrician there's no way I'm going to be able to attend in person classes anywhere on a regular basis. I could do so for the purpose of taking an exam. If there are any options out there, which would be considered the "best" from a fitness/marketability standpoint? I'm in no rush to get this done, just curious if any are actually feasible. Thanks a bunch for any input.

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What's up Doc? I believe the ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) is the most advanced, and thorough, online certification.

You're on spread, as usual. Happy Holidays!
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There are a lot of certifications out there right now.

ASCM has really good programs.

If you are looking for one that is much more recognized in the industry NASM is probably the one gyms look for the most in trainers.

You may also want to get a separate certification in nutrition.

For nutrition, Precision Nutrition is one of the best. John Berardi runs it and he has PhD in kinesiology with a specialization in Exercise and Nutritional Biochemistry. Not many out there better than him and the course for Level 1 certification is not overly expensive.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thanks for the responses you two. I reached out to ACSM and NASM and they both have self study options. Additionally, NASM offers a certified nutrition coach training as well, so I could do both with them. If NASM is the most recognized I will probably go with them. It is a bit pricier but I am thankfully in a position where I can afford it. If anyone has additional thoughts please chime in but this seems like the best option to me.

johnnydeep1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) johnnydeep1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) johnnydeep1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) johnnydeep1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) johnnydeep1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) johnnydeep1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) johnnydeep1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) johnnydeep1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) johnnydeep1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) johnnydeep1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) johnnydeep1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    Hey all,

First time posting in this section.

Quick background: I'm a general pediatrician who wants to educate the broader medical community on nutrition and exercise. I've been a regular member on this forum for >15 years, I've read thousands of papers on exercise/nutrition, and I feel like I already possess the general knowledge I need to accomplish the above goal. While I don't think becoming certified as a personal trainer is necessary, I do think it would perhaps give me more credibility and make it easier to reach more people.

Specific question: are there any certifications I could obtain that do not require in person training? I could spend as much time as needed reading a textbook(s), reading/watching online articles/videos, or even doing online course work, but working full time as a pediatrician there's no way I'm going to be able to attend in person classes anywhere on a regular basis. I could do so for the purpose of taking an exam. If there are any options out there, which would be considered the "best" from a fitness/marketability standpoint? I'm in no rush to get this done, just curious if any are actually feasible. Thanks a bunch for any input.
    NASM only requires that you meet in person once a week. I would do that. The rest is online/test
    AGE-25
    Wt-165
    HT-5'10"
    Bench-100 dumbbell press-5 reps
    *Mechanical Engineer*

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Getting certified.

Thanks for the responses you two. I reached out to ACSM and NASM and they both have self study options. Additionally, NASM offers a certified nutrition coach training as well, so I could do both with them. If NASM is the most recognized I will probably go with them. It is a bit pricier but I am thankfully in a position where I can afford it. If anyone has additional thoughts please chime in but this seems like the best option to me.
    I took the NSCA exam. I believe they have the option to do tutoring with a strength coach which sounds like what you are looking for. Overall, since you are a pediatrician you shouldn't have any issues passing the exam. With 6 months of studying the materials, I passed the exam with ease. Based off your knowledge being a doctor, I would say most of the information you probably already learned in medical school. The areas you would probably need to focus on would be the nutritional science area in the book and the program design portion of the test. Hope this helps. Good luck! You can go to school to get certified, but it wouldn't make sense. Getting an in-person certification would be a few thousand dollars. After that, you would still have to do continuing education as well. Also most schools use the ACE book anyway. You are much better off hiring a person who is certified to tutor you once a week. However, it ultimately is your choice. MTTI is a school that offers the certification depending where you live.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    [QUOTE=Heisman2;1596685661]Thanks for the responses you two. I reached out to ACSM and NASM and they both have self-study options. Additionally, NASM offers a certified nutrition coach training as well, so I could do both with them. If NASM is the most recognized I will probably go with them. It is a bit pricier but I am thankfully in a position where I can afford it. If anyone has additional thoughts please chime in but this seems like the best option to me.[/QUOTE

For what its worth, I'd suggest ACSM over NASM if it's less expensive. With your medical background, it doesn't matter who you are certified by. If it helps you, I have reviews on many certs on my website
    https://joe-cannon.com/category/certifications/

Joe
    Joe Cannon, MS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    SupplementClarity.com

Just giving an update, I went ahead and chose to do NASM as they had the combined CPT and nutrition certification package. This was 100% self-study and done online. I read through all the nutrition material in one week and passed that exam without issue. I did the full personal training online book/modules/etc in about 2 weeks and passed the CPT exam this morning. With my background in medicine and then also being on these boards for 16 years now and staying up to date on nutrition literature these were easy to do; I can definitely see why it would be more challenging for someone going in blind.

Hopefully I'll find a way to incorporate these into what I want to do. Thank you to everyone above for the feedback and advice, I really appreciate it.

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Yes

[QUOTE=JoeCannonMSCSCS;1597775351]
    Thanks for the responses you two. I reached out to ACSM and NASM and they both have self-study options. Additionally, NASM offers a certified nutrition coach training as well, so I could do both with them. If NASM is the most recognized I will probably go with them. It is a bit pricier but I am thankfully in a position where I can afford it. If anyone has additional thoughts please chime in but this seems like the best option to me.[/QUOTE

For what its worth, I'd suggest ACSM over NASM if it's less expensive. With your medical background, it doesn't matter who you are certified by. If it helps you, I have reviews on many certs on my website
    https://joe-cannon.com/category/certifications/

Joe
    I agree there are several different options. If you have any questions reach out to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class