Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by TM79 View Post
    Things are looking good and moving along well in here. I'm amazed at how analytical you are about how you feel, etc. I've noticed that I will wake up feeling tired following a big session lately too. Then again, with the stress of work and young kids, I wake up tired every day and it is always a struggle... Nah, I would think that over time, and with increased effort, that will go away for you. I know you were probably referring more to your ability to hit your training numbers, but I suppose it all comes down to the same thing. Recovery. I had a friend tell me the other day that "overtraining is a myth." I assured him that I have reached the age that it is certainly real. Your body can do two things when faced with stress. Adapt and overcome or break down. Pushing that boundry has become an obsession for me. Keep up the great work my friend!
    Thank you, Trent. It does feel a bit frustrating to me when I don't complete all my accessories. Part of me feels like the whole purpose of the main lifts is to get me pre-fatigued so that the accessories can have the desired effect. I know that's not the reality of it, but that's kind of how my motivation often works, since I'm putting them at the end. It's obvious I've still got a ways to go to be "fit" enough to make that happen more consistently.

On the other hand, my volume totals are calculated solely from the working sets of the main lifts, not the accessories, and they continue to increase nicely, so I can't say I'm completely dissatisfied.

I agree about overtraining. I think that at my age (and my constitution), a 3-day full body is probably the best that I can do. I need that two days of rest at the end of the week.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Now I can safely post the end of Week 10, my Thursday night workout. Like Tuesday, the accessories suffered, and so did the overhead press. But the squats at least felt very light. In fact, I had to keep checking the plates on the bar to make sure I hadn't left any off! That was not the case for any of the other lifts.

Next week, I'm going to increase the weight on the squat and deadlift, and leave the others the same. I'll be trying to work on reps and form for those.

Bench Press:
    95x5
    120x5
    150x8
    170x7
    170x6
    150x27 -- 9+5+5+4+4, Rest-Pause

Squat:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    175x8
    175x8
    155x25 -- 10+5+5+5, Rest-Pause

BB Row:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    175x8
    175x8

Overhead Press:
    50x5
    65x5
    80x9
    95x7
    95x6
    80x25 -- 10+5+5+5, Rest-Pause

Accessories:
    Pullups, bodyweight: 12+12+12
    Chinups, bodyweight: 13+12

A bit frustrating that the chinups didn't go as far as I planned. And I was out of juice for the other stuff too, although I did get some make-up pushups in this morning.

On an added note, I'm supposed to take delivery of a new Rogue Castro bar this evening. I'll be working with that next week, and I'm looking forward to the test. Ultimately, I hope to be able to find a use for both bars.
    -Voltaire

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    A bit frustrating that the chinups didn't go as far as I planned.
    I understand completely what you're saying. Completely. But it is ironic that a man in his 60's is complaining about doing 12 and 13 pullups and chinups when the average 18-25 year old probably can't do four
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    I understand completely what you're saying. Completely. But it is ironic that a man in his 60's is complaining about doing 12 and 13 pullups and chinups when the average 18-25 year old probably can't do four
    So it would seem. But, those 18-25 year olds could easily do 15-20 with a bit of training and decent diet, etc. My goal is 20 pullups, and even if it takes me until I'm 80, I'm going to keep trying for it. My maximum ever was 17... so close yet so far!
    -Voltaire

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So it would seem. But, those 18-25 year olds could easily do 15-20 with a bit of training and decent diet, etc. My goal is 20 pullups, and even if it takes me until I'm 80, I'm going to keep trying for it. My maximum ever was 17... so close yet so far!
    I got 18 the other day and if I'd lose 10 lbs I think I could squeak out another two, but I'm not sure and I'm not motivated to lose any weight any time soon.

But anybody who can do a dozen is in rare company. VERY RARE company. In other words, you 'da man

I got 18 the other day and if I'd lose 10 lbs I think I could squeak out another two, but I'm not sure and I'm not motivated to lose any weight any time soon.

But anybody who can do a dozen is in rare company. VERY RARE company. In other words, you 'da man
    18 would be fantastic. I think I'm also getting to the point where my increasing weight is making it harder to keep increasing. Naw, you don't need to lose any weight. I think that's one area I do need to plateau on, though.
    -Voltaire

Started on Week 11 Sunday, and it began on a high note. Not the performance, necessarily, but the gear. I took delivery of a new Rogue Castro bar on Friday, opened it up and admired it on Saturday, and loaded it up Sunday.

I think I'm in love.

The Castro Bar is basically the Ohio bar, but it's bare steel, no coating. I feel like I can handle that in my climate, where it's very dry. The summer humidity is usually below 10%, and in the winter it's often below 20%. It'll be slow to rust, and easy to maintain.

For the past three years I've been using a CAP OB-86B. It's regarded as the best of the economy bars, and as a matter of fact it's served me well. It's rated as a 20k bar, and when I weighed it on a good scale, it matched the specs exactly. It handles all the weight I can put on it, and probably all the weight I ever will, the phosphate coating is actually pretty good, and the knurling is fairly forgiving. I don't regret buying it.

But I never wanted it to be my forever bar. The spin is poor and uneven, with one side worse than the other. I've disassembled and lubricated it once, and that helped, but not a lot. The cheap chrome coating on the sleeves has a tendency to flake off, and more than once I've actually had my finger punctured with chrome fragments. That more than anything else sealed my decision to get a new, quality bar. The knurling may also be a bit too passive. On heavy deadlifts it tends to slip forward down into my fingers, and that actually has a pulling effect, which makes it feel like my hands are ripping. And by "heavy", I mean far short of what I can and hope to lift.

So, I expected a subtle but noticeable difference for the Castro bar. I don't do Olympic lifting, so I figured the improved spin might make little difference, but possibly some. Mostly I didn't want the sleeves to stab my fingers any more. I wasn't prepared for how dramatic the difference really is. The Castro bar screams GRIP! The knurling feels like fine sandpaper, and once I wrap my hands around it, it does not let go. At the same time, because it stays where I put it, it doesn't pull on my skin. I feel like I'll be able to grip with heavier weight before I resort to straps. Even the non-knurled polished center section rests on my back with more friction than the phosphate coating of the CAP does.

The CAP has a single pair of knurl marks spaced at 31 7/8" apart. I've been using these marks as references when it comes to my own grip spacing. I assumed that the spacing was meaningful, equal to one of the federation standards. But the Castro bar has two sets of knurl marks, both spaced wider than the CAP. Checking, I find that the CAP bar knurl marks are close, but not identical to the IPF specifications, while the Castro's outer knurl marks are approximately those of the IWF specs. The inner knurl marks aren't really matching to either of them. Either way, I have to adjust my references slightly when spacing my grip. The specs don't matter to me, of course, other than to give me some arbitrary reference point.

The Castro's sleeves are bare steel as is the shaft, so no more chrome flakes. The plates still slide on and off easily, but don't feel as slippery on the sleeve as they did with chrome, and seem less likely to clatter and migrate. I still use spring collars, though.

When the CAP bar is racked, I can center it between the hooks easily by sliding it to the left or right. With the Castro bar, I can't do that. It grips the hooks tight! This thing will not slip! Lastly, there is much less play between the sleeves and the shaft of the Castro bar. It's much quieter in use, and just feels all around firmer.

It's not going to increase my lifts, of course, but it does increase my comfort and feeling of security while I lift. My original plan was to use the CAP for some lifts and the Castro for others, and have both handy to reduce the amount of re-arranging I have to do during the course of the workout. Now I'm not so sure. I can't think of any lift at this point that I'd just as soon do with the CAP rather than the Rogue. Maybe that will change later on. But for now, I really like this new bar.

And now for the workout: Progress in general, not dramatic, but noticeable. I got an extra rep in the bench that I couldn't get last week, which gives me hope that I can increase the weight next week. I did increase the maximum squat, and it went fine. I added a rep to the lower working set of the rows, and felt a little bit more secure in my form. I increased the rest-pause reps on all of them. The only one that didn't progress on paper was the overhead press, but even there it felt slightly stronger. Last week I couldn't even begin a rep 8 at 95 lbs, this time I felt strong enough to try it, even though I couldn't complete it. I'll keep pushing.

Accessories went well, and I got that chinup rep back that I lost last Thursday. Hopefully the rest of the week will see me keep it.

Morning weight: 164.2 lbs -- overshot my goal here, and I need to hold back on the weight gain. I'm watching my portions more closely.

Bench Press:
    95x5
    120x5
    150x8
    170x8
    150x23 -- 9+5+5+4, Rest-Pause

Squat:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    180x8
    155x24 -- 9+5+5+5, Rest-Pause

BB Row:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x9
    175x8

Overhead Press:
    50x5
    65x5
    85x8
    95x7

Accessories:

Chinups, bodyweight: 13+13

Stiff-legged Deadlift, 165 lbs, Myo-reps: 14 + 5+5+5+5

Lateral DB raise, 15 lbs, Myo-reps: 14 + 5+5+5+5+5+5

Pushups, Toes elevated 3.5", w/grip handles, Rest-Pause: 46 + 10+10+10+10+10

Ready now for Tuesday!
    -Voltaire

The Castro bar screams GRIP! The knurling feels like fine sandpaper, and once I wrap my hands around it, it does not let go.

Pushups, Toes elevated 3.5", w/grip handles, Rest-Pause: 46 + 10+10+10+10+10
    I do a little manual work around the house (even replaced a light in the bathroom last night and the whole 45 minutes that it took made me regret waiting two YEARS to do it ), but I'm glad that I lift weights so that my hands remain calloused. This makes a "desk jockey" engineer such as myself feel better about myself

I love the elevate push-ups. Even with the wonky shoulders of mine, I've always been able to do push-ups of every variety . . . even ones where I put my feet on the couch and thus my feet are elevated a couple of feet.

Keep at it Dave. "Inch by inch, life's a cinch. Yard by yard, life is hard."

MoEcho is a name known to all. (+5000) MoEcho is a name known to all. (+5000) MoEcho is a name known to all. (+5000) MoEcho is a name known to all. (+5000) MoEcho is a name known to all. (+5000) MoEcho is a name known to all. (+5000) MoEcho is a name known to all. (+5000) MoEcho is a name known to all. (+5000) MoEcho is a name known to all. (+5000) MoEcho is a name known to all. (+5000) MoEcho is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I just Googled that Rogue Castro Bar .. not going to lie .. I am jealous...
    If you purchase a hack squat machine, we can't be friends anymore LOL
    Team Amazon: Sisterhood of Iron

The myth that women should be weak is perpetuated by men who fear strong women and women who fear hard work.
    #selfcare #pickitup #putitdown

I do a little manual work around the house (even replaced a light in the bathroom last night and the whole 45 minutes that it took made me regret waiting two YEARS to do it ), but I'm glad that I lift weights so that my hands remain calloused. This makes a "desk jockey" engineer such as myself feel better about myself

I love the elevate push-ups. Even with the wonky shoulders of mine, I've always been able to do push-ups of every variety . . . even ones where I put my feet on the couch and thus my feet are elevated a couple of feet.

Keep at it Dave. "Inch by inch, life's a cinch. Yard by yard, life is hard."
    Thanks, Mark. I did some of the more elevated pushups from a chair during my trip a couple of weeks ago, and it was very happily intense. Once I get to a set of 50 with the current setup, I'll be raising those toes some more. Should be two or three more weeks, I think.

Inch by inch is right-- except for the yard work.

(Two years to change a light bulb? I would have forgot about it by now and just learned to enjoy the dark. Let me guess... Wife reminder? )
    -Voltaire

Originally Posted by MoEcho View Post
    I just Googled that Rogue Castro Bar .. not going to lie .. I am jealous...
    If you purchase a hack squat machine, we can't be friends anymore LOL
    Yeah, I'd been staring at that bar for about a year now. Temptation finally got too strong.

My original plan was to build an extension to my workshop and then set up the old portion as my gym. Then I'd have room to conveniently use both bars.

Currently I'm set up in my wife's art studio, and even though she doesn't mind, I know she could find that space useful if I wasn't in it. Construction plans got delayed, though, and I'm about a year behind on that. I didn't want to wait another year to get a decent bar.

A hack squat machine isn't in the plans yet. If I do decide I need one, I'll just build it. And if I do, I'll share it with ya!
    -Voltaire

Two years to change a light bulb? I would have forgot about it by now and just learned to enjoy the dark. Let me guess... Wife reminder?
    I changed out the light fixture. I worked with it "hot," but when it was time to connect the new wires with the wire nuts, I turned it off at the breaker.

And "yes," WIFE REMINDER

TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Glad you are digging the new barbell. I hadn't heard of that one and have been using the same bar that I bought from a guy on Craigslist about 6 years ago. I like the thought of having better grip for my sweaty hands and hate the mess of cleaning up chalk all over the garage. Might have to look into that barbell...
    All-Time PR's and Info:
    M, 5'10", 175 lb
    Powerlifting: Squat: 315, Bench: 255, Deadlift: 420
    Running: 5K: 22:46, 10K: 49:49, 15K: 1:28:08, 13.1: 2:03:00
    Metcons: Murph: 29:43, Double Murph: 1:12:01, Cindy: 29 Rounds
    IG: trentmas.nc
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7v5c_ToyBkd6_3hP2jl94w
    Galatians 2:20

I changed out the light fixture. I worked with it "hot," but when it was time to connect the new wires with the wire nuts, I turned it off at the breaker.

And "yes," WIFE REMINDER
    Geez, now what kind of wife would be saying those kinds of things to her husband....

Hmmm...

Oh, yeah.... Mine!
    -Voltaire

Glad you are digging the new barbell. I hadn't heard of that one and have been using the same bar that I bought from a guy on Craigslist about 6 years ago. I like the thought of having better grip for my sweaty hands and hate the mess of cleaning up chalk all over the garage. Might have to look into that barbell...
    It's far from their biggest seller. It doesn't have that many reviews on their site. I figure it's because most people don't really want a bare bar. It would need a lot of upkeep in most climates, I think. For people who like bare steel in a wetter climate than mine, they'd probably be better off with stainless, but that gets a bit pricey.

I don't think I'll ever need chalk with it. But my hands tend not to sweat anyway, so it may be I'm not qualified to make a recommendation to anybody else. The one caveat I'll add to what I wrote earlier, is that the comfort of the bar depends sensitively on how you hold it. Doing deadlifts last night, I found that when I wrap it too deep into my palms, it doesn't pull so much as it pinches, and then the knurling really is painful. If I make sure my grip is even and distributed across the pads covering the metacarpal/phalangeal joints (and I sure don't know what the name for that is), then the grip is actually quite comfortable.

I do think that over time it will increase the callusing on my hands. Whether that's good or bad is, I guess, an matter of personal taste.
    -Voltaire

And now on to Tuesday night, midpoint of Week 11. As so often happens on Tuesday, I got off to a late start, and ended up with no time for accessories. Technically, I probably could have done pullups and skipped pushups, but after dithering for a few minutes, I decided to declare victory and call it a night. I have a lot more time on Thursday to do it right.

Other than that, the compound lifts went well. Everything increased in either weight or reps or both compared to the previous Tuesday. So things are still on the right track.

Incline Press:
    90x5
    110x8
    135x8
    110x25 -- 10+5+5+5, Rest-Pause

Squat:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    155x8

Overhead Press:
    50x5
    65x5
    80x8
    95x7
    80x22 -- 9+5+4+4, Rest-Pause

Deadlift:
    150x5
    175x8
    205x8
    230x7 I could have done an 8th rep, and should have, in hindsight.

Close it out on Thursday, and then open it up again next week!
    -Voltaire

Before I forget, time to post the Thursday night workout. It turned out to be a good one. I hit all my rep goals, got all the accessories in, and I feel like I'm in position to increase all the weights for next week (Except the incline press on Tuesday -- that might take another week or two.)

Part of this I blame on my wife. She concocted an energy drink for me, from orange juice, strawberries, mangos, and the last of the beets I dug out of the garden while preparing it for spring planting. She just cleaned them off and tossed them in the blender whole, and the result was some of the sweetest juice imaginable. That's why we grow our own beets rather than buying them from the supermarket.

Anyway, I can say that armed with that drink during my workout, I never ran out of juice!

Bench Press:
    95x5
    120x5
    150x8
    170x8
    170x7
    150x28 -- 10+5+5+4+4, Rest-Pause

Squat:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    180x8
    180x8

BB Row:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    175x8
    175x8

Overhead Press:
    50x5
    65x5
    80x8
    95x8
    95x7

Accessories:
    Chinups, bodyweight: 13+13 Got back the one that I lost last Thursday!

Stiff-legged Deadlifts, 165 lbs, Myo-reps: 14 + 25 (5x5)
    Lateral DB Raises, 20 lbs, Myo-reps: 14 + 30 (6x5)

Pushups w/grip handles, toes raised ~3.5", rest-pause: 45 + 50 (5x10)

Looking forward to moving up next week!
    -Voltaire

Started Week 12 on a high note. Ended Sunday night a little disappointed, but it really wasn't terrible. Just not up to my ambitions.

I added five pounds to each of my Sunday combination lifts, at least for the highest set. As I'd been expecting for previous raises, this did for the most part lower my rep numbers, and thus my total volume. I was fine with that. Then I started the accessories. I added a rep to each of my first two pullup sets, for 13. Then things just spiraled downhill. I started wearing out on the third pullup set, and fell off further on my chinups. By the time the chinups were done, I had nothing left. I didn't even attempt the other accessories. I put it down to poor sleep, the time switch, and probably too rapid a weight gain over the last couple of weeks. And maybe the heavier lifts, too.

So, for the next few sessions, I'll be working on getting the volume back and keeping energy for the accessories. THAT's a short-term goal!

Morning weight: 164.6 lbs -- too much, I think

Bench Press:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    175x6
    155x20 -- 8+4+4+4, Rest-Pause

Squat:
    95x5
    125x5
    160x8
    185x8
    160x22 -- 8+5+5+4, Rest-Pause

BB Row:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    180x8

Overhead Press:
    50x5
    65x5
    85x8
    100x7
    85x25 -- 10+5+5+5, Rest-Pause

Accessories:

Pullups, bodyweight: 13+13+12

Chinups, bodyweight: 13+10

That was it. I hope to be more on the go tomorow!
    -Voltaire

Midpoint Week 12, Tuesday night. Not a great workout, but not terrible either. Wasn't feeling at my strongest or most energetic, but I got the main stuff done. After the last increase, I dropped down on reps more than I wanted to, so I'm going to take a little more time building that volume back up.

I've got 4 more weeks to do it. I've decided that week 16 will be the end of this block, then I'll deload and restart a strength block, going back to something a bit closer to Madcow, but with maybe a bit more volume. That should get me into the summer. And then.... Who knows?

Incline Bench:
    90x5
    115x8
    140x6
    115x25 -- 10+5+5+5, Rest-Pause

Squat:
    95x5
    125x5
    160x8
    160x8

Overhead Press:
    50x5
    65x5
    85x8
    100x5
    85x21 -- 9+4+4+4, Rest-Pause

Deadlift:
    150x5
    175x8
    205x8
    235x7

Accessories:

Pullups, Bodyweight: 13+13+12

Deadlifts are still going up well, not hitting any obstacles there. Everything else seems to be slowing down this week. Must learn patience!
    -Voltaire

. . . then I'll deload and restart a strength block, going back to something a bit closer to Madcow, but with maybe a bit more volume.
    Not saying that strength can't follow volume, but when I think of a purely strength type routine I think of someone working up to 2-3 sets of doubles or triples. Then again for us more "seasoned" lifters higher reps per set (and hence higher volume) is probably a safer route I haven't performed a set with under 10 reps in several months now IIRC (e.g., last night's press and pull sets included 15, 12, 11 reps and 15, 12, 12 reps respectively . . . all with the same weight and all nearly a max--RPE 9.5 to 10--effort )

Do you do anything in particular for cardio? I'm thinking purely heart health to supplement your lifting which is obviously heart "healthy" too.

Not saying that strength can't follow volume, but when I think of a purely strength type routine I think of someone working up to 2-3 sets of doubles or triples. Then again for us more "seasoned" lifters higher reps per set (and hence higher volume) is probably a safer route I haven't performed a set with under 10 reps in several months now IIRC (e.g., last night's press and pull sets included 15, 12, 11 reps and 15, 12, 12 reps respectively . . . all with the same weight and all nearly a max--RPE 9.5 to 10--effort )

Do you do anything in particular for cardio? I'm thinking purely heart health to supplement your lifting which is obviously heart "healthy" too.
    I've got 9 acres with an orchard and a garden. At work, I spend most of my time standing, walking, lifting, pushing and pulling. At home, I do a lot of walking, weed pulling, grass cutting, digging, and repairing stuff. None of it's high intensity, but I do stay active. It's enough for me!

For my strength block, it's going to be mostly based on 5 reps, with occasional 3 rep maxes. I hope that will be intense enough without being too intense.
    -Voltaire

TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Looking good in here my friend. I think that the Madcow will deliver some good results for you. I did that program several years ago and it did not disappoint. Your work and every day life sound like you stay plenty active. I envy that a lot. Low intensity, steady work/activity is what keeps people young, IMO. Now if I could just buy into that... Keep up the great work my friend!
    All-Time PR's and Info:
    M, 5'10", 175 lb

Looking good in here my friend. I think that the Madcow will deliver some good results for you. I did that program several years ago and it did not disappoint. Your work and every day life sound like you stay plenty active. I envy that a lot. Low intensity, steady work/activity is what keeps people young, IMO. Now if I could just buy into that... Keep up the great work my friend!
    Thanks, Trent. I'm really getting antsy about the thought of retirement. I still have a couple of years to go before I can afford it, but I'm continually, almost obsessively looking forward to it.

Not so I can pull back and do less, but so I can do more of the things I really want to do. 600 years worth of projects lined up and waiting to go.

I started doing Madcow on the advice of IronWill2008 about a year before my first bout with cancer. It certainly did not disappoint! It won't be completely by the book, but it should retain the foundational concepts, at least.

But not so fast! I just downloaded Greg Nuckols' just re-released "Average to Savage" workout plan, and I'm going to be looking that over before I make my final decision. It gets really good reviews from Greg Nuckols!
    -Voltaire

Finished Week 12 better than I started it. Thursday night, got everything done, didn't skip any accessories. I was tired, but I was determined to get through it, dammit! Got my pullups and chinups back where I wanted them, improved reps slightly on the compounds. It'll still be a couple more weeks, probably, before I'm ready to ramp up the weight some more, but I do think I'll get some reps back in the meantime. So all in all, I'd say it was a productive one.

Bench Press:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    175x7
    175x6
    155x23 -- 10+5+4+4, Rest-Pause

Squat:
    95x5
    125x5
    160x8
    185x8
    185x8
    160x25 -- 10+5+5+5, Rest-Pause

BB Row:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    180x8
    180x8

Overhead Press:
    50x5
    65x5
    85x8
    100x6
    100x6
    85x22 -- 10+5+4+3, Rest-Pause

Accessories:
    Pullups, bodyweight: 13+13+13
    Chinups. bodyweight: 14+14

Stiff-legged Deadlift, 165 lbs, Myo-reps: 14+30 (6x5)
    DB Lateral Raises, 25lb DBs, Myo-reps: 8+20 (4x5)

Pushups w/grip handles, toes elevated ~3.5", Rest-Pause: 48+50 (5x10)

Slate's clean now, looking forward to starting Week 13 on Sunday!
    -Voltaire

While I have a chance, time to post Sunday night's workout, the start of Week 13. It went pretty well overall. I added overall reps to the Bench Press and the Squat, stayed the same on the Row, and lost one on the OHP. I should be able to add weight to the Squat and Row next week, I'll keep the struggle going with the others. The accessories went well, I got them all done, increased my totals on all of them. I didn't get quite as fatigued as last time either. So it's a good start, and hopefully I'll continue progressing this week.

Morning weight: 163.6 lbs: A pound down from last week, which doesn't seem much, but the difference is visible. I like this weight better.

Bench Press:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    175x7
    155x22 -- 9+5+4+4, Rest-Pause

Squat:
    95x5
    125x5
    160x8
    185x8

BB Row:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    180x8

Overhead Press:
    50x5
    65x5
    85x8
    100x6

Accessories:
    Chinups, bodyweight: 14+14

Stiff-legged Deadlifts, 165 lbd: 14 + 6x5, Myo-reps
    DB Lateral Raise 25 lb dumbbells: 9 + 5x5, Myo-reps

Pushups w/grip handles, toes lifted 3.5": 48 + 6x10, Rest-Pause

Feeling good about tonight's lifting!
    -Voltaire

Looking very strong in here! You certainly have come a long way in a few months! I hear you on retirement. I believe we have the same outlook on that, although at this point I would have to have black liquid coming shooting out of the ground in my yard to afford it. I have so many hobbies that I used to do before having kids that I would love to get back to at some point. Plus a few new ones to throw into the mix. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you at least. Keep up the great work my friend!
    All-Time PR's and Info:
    M, 5'10", 175 lb

Looking very strong in here! You certainly have come a long way in a few months! I hear you on retirement. I believe we have the same outlook on that, although at this point I would have to have black liquid coming shooting out of the ground in my yard to afford it. I have so many hobbies that I used to do before having kids that I would love to get back to at some point. Plus a few new ones to throw into the mix. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you at least. Keep up the great work my friend!
    Thank you much, Trent! I do feel like my efforts are being rewarded, and it's a nice feeling.

You can never have too many hobbies. Well, actually you can, but that's not a bad thing. I tell people I have enough projects lined up to keep me busy for the next 600 years, if I don't take on any new ones. And I'm still taking on new ones. Budgeting is a real issue, but then there are those folks for whom making money is itself a hobby!
    -Voltaire

Almost forgot that I had a workout Tuesday! Might as well post it now. Definitely an improvement over the previous Tuesday, and my highest volume of this cycle so far -- primarily because of the increase in the deadlift. I did a little better on the pullups/chinups, but not quite what I was hoping for. And the pushups were rotten, but at least I got a few in, which I couldn't do at all last week.

Incline Bench:
    90x5
    115x8
    140x6
    115x25 -- 10+5+5+5, Rest-Pause

Squat:
    95x5
    125x5
    160x8
    160x8

Overhead Press:
    50x5
    65x5
    85x8
    100x6
    85x24 -- 10+5+5+4, Rest-Pause

Deadlift:
    150x5
    180x8
    210x8
    240x8

Accessories:
    Chinups, bodyweight: 14+13

Pushups w/grip handles, feet elevated at ~3.5", 2 sets : 24 + 42

Maybe I should have rested a couple more minutes before starting the pushups. I failed fast on those!

Finishing the week tonight!
    -Voltaire

Speaking of late ... I'm delaying on posting the Thursday workout as well.

A decent end to week 13. Not the accessories I wanted, but I did see an increase in volume for the primary lifts. I'm trying to learn not to judge myself for when I back off sooner than I plan to. I'm still improving from week to week, and that's the main goal.

3/19/20

Bench Press:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    175x7
    175x6
    155x24 -- 10+5+5+4, Rest-Pause

Squat:
    95x5
    125x5
    160x8
    185x8
    185x8

BB Row:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    180x8
    180x8
    155x30 -- 10+6x5, Rest-Pause

Overhead Press:
    50x5
    65x5
    85x8
    100x6
    100x6
    85x24 -- 10+5+5+4, Rest-Pause

Accessories:
    Chinps, bodyweight: 13+13

Next week I'll add weight to the squat and deadlift, add reps to the row, and struggle on getting my main rep goals with everything else.
    -Voltaire

Started Week 14 pretty well Sunday night. I increased reps or weight in everything except the overhead press. I thought I was going to get another rep there, but it didn't happen. The bench press started me out happy, because I got that rep #8 at 175 lbs that I'd been struggling with. Accessories went well too. So I ended the evening feeling pretty cheerful.

Morning Weight: 163.2 lbs. I like it!

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Bench Press:
    95x5
    125x5
    155x8
    175x8

Squat:
    100x5
    130x5
    160x8
    190x8

BB Row:
    95x5
    125x5
    160x8
    185x8

Overhead Press:
    50x5
    65x5
    85x8
    100x6

Accessories:
    Pullups, bodyweight: 14+14+13
    Chinups, bodyweight: 13+13

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, 170 lbs, Myo-reps: 14 + 6x5
    DB Lateral Raises, 25 lb DBs, Myo-reps: 10 + 5x5

Pushups w/grip handles, Feet elevated ~3.5", Rest-Pause: 50 + 4x10 + 12

In summary, my weight seems to have stabilized, and the lifts are still progressing. Can't ask for much more than that.
    -Voltaire