Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Crepinsek 1500LBS vs EliteFTS SS Yoke

So, I decided once and for all to address the debate that I've (and several others) had with the two bars as far as which is actually the better SSB. I've used earlier versions of the SS Yoke and always went back to the Crep as my go-to SSB. But a few weeks back, I was offered a really hard to pass on deal to get a brand new, in the box, unused, SS Yoke, so I decided to take the plunge and once and for all compare the two bars. While I appreciate a few of the reviewers who've said they've used the Crep before, they really haven't used the Crep enough to give a qualified opinion. I've used the Crep for over 15 years or more of hardcore conjugate training where I've personally loaded it up heavy and have trained with mutants who've loaded it up 800lbs+ and still going strong with zero issues. And while I don't lift nearly as intense as I once did, I can still load the bar up and give a more meaningful viewpoint of what will happen with varying loaded weights of either bar, not just throwing two plates on there, calling it a day, and saying the bar is great and everyone should own it, or even worse, get the Titan version which is an exact copy and a few hundred less.

So what brought me to this decision as most on here know that I've been a staunch backer of the Crep for many years now? I've been training with my son recently, and I had him try the Crep, and while he is just a novice, his quick impression was the bar sucked and was really uncomfortable. Initially, I shrugged it off, but we tried it again, and he complained again, not that it was tough, but that it was really uncomfortable on the neck. In general, I don't go heavy on the SSB, just do reps on squat and good mornings with an occasional ME here and there, but in general, I don't go really heavy enough anymore that the yolk really bothers me. But years back, doing ME chain suspended Anderson Squats and Good Mornings with the Crep were things I dreaded because it not only exposed everything I was bad at, it also felt like it was trying to cut my head and neck off in the process. So after my son complained, I loaded the bar up to 400ish, and it didn't feel that great, and got me to thinking, maybe I'm wrong about the EliteFTS SS Yolk and maybe the bar is a lot closer to the Crep than I think?

So this is where I'm at and I'm curious what people want to hear more about as far as comparisons go. To me, yolk pad/vinyl and how the bar sits and balances are most important factors, but I will dive into whatever aspects people are interested in. To my knowledge, this may be the only head to head comparison of these two bars out there, just like my Buffalo vs Duffalo comparison as well (which I still own both BTW). Lastly, if someone wanted to send a Titan SSB out my way to compare to these two, by all means, I'm truly open to seeing which is best and best overall value.

cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What I think would be nice (even though I own the Elite one and don't plan on changing bars)
    1. How does the balance compare. I've never had an issue with using mine with no hands.
    2. How do the bends/angles compare and is there any different feeling in squats or GMs between the two (not including the comfort aspect, just the bio-mechanics)
    {5'7" and under #1}
    ▪█───█▪ Equipment Crew #77 ▪█───█▪
    [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew - Can't recall number [M]===[6]

TunaGill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TunaGill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TunaGill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TunaGill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TunaGill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TunaGill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TunaGill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TunaGill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TunaGill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TunaGill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TunaGill has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MGM711 View Post
    So, I decided once and for all to address the debate that I've (and several others) had with the two bars as far as which is actually the better SSB. I've used earlier versions of the SS Yoke and always went back to the Crep as my go-to SSB. But a few weeks back, I was offered a really hard to pass on deal to get a brand new, in the box, unused, SS Yoke, so I decided to take the plunge and once and for all compare the two bars. While I appreciate a few of the reviewers who've said they've used the Crep before, they really haven't used the Crep enough to give a qualified opinion. I've used the Crep for over 15 years or more of hardcore conjugate training where I've personally loaded it up heavy and have trained with mutants who've loaded it up 800lbs+ and still going strong with zero issues. And while I don't lift nearly as intense as I once did, I can still load the bar up and give a more meaningful viewpoint of what will happen with varying loaded weights of either bar, not just throwing two plates on there, calling it a day, and saying the bar is great and everyone should own it, or even worse, get the Titan version which is an exact copy and a few hundred less.

So what brought me to this decision as most on here know that I've been a staunch backer of the Crep for many years now? I've been training with my son recently, and I had him try the Crep, and while he is just a novice, his quick impression was the bar sucked and was really uncomfortable. Initially, I shrugged it off, but we tried it again, and he complained again, not that it was tough, but that it was really uncomfortable on the neck. In general, I don't go heavy on the SSB, just do reps on squat and good mornings with an occasional ME here and there, but in general, I don't go really heavy enough anymore that the yolk really bothers me. But years back, doing ME chain suspended Anderson Squats and Good Mornings with the Crep were things I dreaded because it not only exposed everything I was bad at, it also felt like it was trying to cut my head and neck off in the process. So after my son complained, I loaded the bar up to 400ish, and it didn't feel that great, and got me to thinking, maybe I'm wrong about the EliteFTS SS Yolk and maybe the bar is a lot closer to the Crep than I think?

So this is where I'm at and I'm curious what people want to hear more about as far as comparisons go. To me, yolk pad/vinyl and how the bar sits and balances are most important factors, but I will dive into whatever aspects people are interested in. To my knowledge, this may be the only head to head comparison of these two bars out there, just like my Buffalo vs Duffalo comparison as well (which I still own both BTW). Lastly, if someone wanted to send a Titan SSB out my way to compare to these two, by all means, I'm truly open to seeing which is best and best overall value.
    Great post and topic.

I've owned both, and preferred the Crep.

But now I have an itch to scratch regarding the Marrs bar. Seems like it could be a real winner SSB.

But too expensive to purchase right now...

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Dave talking about what makes the Yoke Bar pad special.

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^
    ****** Make China Poor Again ******

C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nice. Appreciate the effort on this and sharing your findings. I bought the Crep here on recommendations and WSB uses it. I've tried other SSBs and the Crep is by far and away the best I've used and only one I really liked. Have never tried Elite's though as this was a long time ago now so I can never opine beyond that. I also haven't been strong enough in recent years to really push it.

Areas I think are important and should be contrasted:
    1) balance
    2) where and how bar sits
    3) how that translates to training stress/feel
    4) comfort, pinching etc....

Won't be the same for everyone but we don't have much in qualified head to head opinion either so put it out.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TunaGill View Post
    Great post and topic.

But now I have an itch to scratch regarding the Marrs bar. Seems like it could be a real winner SSB.

Personally, I don't think the Marrs is really a SSB unless your definition of SSB is simply a yoke. I think the Marrs is a fascinating bar, but based on how it's constructed, not more just a specialty bar variation that stands on it's own, not really in the SSB category.

Some quick thoughts on the balance with no weight and light weight...

The Crep to me unracks with zero weight, on the neck and shoulders, much better than the SS Yoke. I can unrack the bar with no weight or with light weights with no hands with zero balancing issues or fear of falling off the neck and shoulders.

The SS Yoke on the other hand has a very wobbly unrack with no weight and no hands. In fact, the first unrack with the bar almost came completely off my back and my son had to make the save or else this was shifting back and falling off. I have a few theories why this is the case. First, it could be because of the padding thickness and where I'm used to positioning the bar out of the rack relative to the thinner yolk of the Crep. Because of the extra thickness, it probably contacts the upper back/neck about an inch further back than the Crep. Now if I grab the handles and pull down on the bar right before unrack, then I can get the bar to sit more like the unrack feel of the Crep. The other issue with the wobbly unrack feel simply can just be the newness of the pad that just needs to break in and sink into the shoulders/upper back/neck area.

The no-hands unrack really isn't something I do or even think is really all that important, but I think what it does is drives the point that the Crep simply sits on the upper back/neck more securely, and this is good to know if you want to train Hatfield Squats or just have the piece of mind that if you're doing a heavy squat or GM and your hands come off, the Crep isn't going anywhere, and with zero or light weights, I can't make that same claim with the SS Yolk, at least not yet.

lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Some quick thoughts on the balance with no weight and light weight...

The Crep to me unracks with zero weight, on the neck and shoulders, much better than the SS Yoke. I can unrack the bar with no weight or with light weights with no hands with zero balancing issues or fear of falling off the neck and shoulders.

The SS Yoke on the other hand has a very wobbly unrack with no weight and no hands. In fact, the first unrack with the bar almost came completely off my back and my son had to make the save or else this was shifting back and falling off. I have a few theories why this is the case. First, it could be because of the padding thickness and where I'm used to positioning the bar out of the rack relative to the thinner yolk of the Crep. Because of the extra thickness, it probably contacts the upper back/neck about an inch further back than the Crep. Now if I grab the handles and pull down on the bar right before unrack, then I can get the bar to sit more like the unrack feel of the Crep. The other issue with the wobbly unrack feel simply can just be the newness of the pad that just needs to break in and sink into the shoulders/upper back/neck area.

The no-hands unrack really isn't something I do or even think is really all that important, but I think what it does is drives the point that the Crep simply sits on the upper back/neck more securely, and this is good to know if you want to train Hatfield Squats or just have the piece of mind that if you're doing a heavy squat or GM and your hands come off, the Crep isn't going anywhere, and with zero or light weights, I can't make that same claim with the SS Yolk, at least not yet.
    When I switched from my Strength Shop bar to the Titan that initial light weight balance issue you talked about concerned me. Each plate adds stability and 405 sticks to my back way better than 135. The heaviest I've taken my Titan ssb is 475 with hands on the rack for stability. The bar itself feels rock solid with no hands on the handles at that weight. The riot ssb from strength shop fits snugly and solidly right from empty bar on up to 405 or so was not able to squat more when I had it.
    Best Lifts
    BP 255
    SQ 425
    DL 435
    OHP 195

Yoke Pad Thickness

The Crep has a pad circumference of 13in and the SS Yolk is roughly 16.5in. This makes for a radius difference of almost 2in which confirms how the SS Yolk sits further back on the neck and upper back. It will be interesting to see how much pad compression the SS Yolk will have over time, but my guess in actual circumference measurement, probably won't change a whole lot and where the pad contacts the upper back and shoulder will always be at least an inch further back than the Crep. Now, what could change over time will be how the pad sinks into the upper back/neck as it breaks in...my guess is that it will dig in and stick a little better rather than the new bouncy feel the yolk currently has. This bouncy feel could contribute to the unstable feel currently with no-hands unrack so hopefully, this over time will go away.

I will agree, as you load the SS Yolk, the bar feels more and more secure on the upper back and neck, but I still feel the need to use the handles at all times (not saying this is a bad thing, the handles are certainly one of the major positives of the bar!) just to make sure the bar stays where I want it to stay. Again, I've never felt this issue with the Crep in any situation ever, the bar just sat and didn't move. Time will tell how this SS Yolk pad will break in, but I think there's some design mechanics in play that are in the Crep's favor that I'm not sure the SS Yolk can match even with a good break in on the padding.

So to summarize, the SS Yolk pad circumference is roughly 3.5in bigger with a radius difference of nearly 2in which effectively puts the SS Yolk 1in further back on the upper back. This difference, along with the very new, bouncy padding of the yolk, create a much more wobbly unrack feel with no weight and light weights. This wobbliness does seem to go away more as more and more weight is added.

smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TunaGill View Post
    Great post and topic.

I got the marrs bar on their black Friday sale, and it isn't worth the sale price.
    No reason why this shouldn't be a $300 bar. The finish is lowsey padding is okay but nothing to special.
    It is not an ssb at all. It feels like a real low bar squat with a harness. A little to low for my short torso..
    I haven't got to front squat with it much since I cracked my ribs on. A pl meet I just did benching 605, as the bar digs into where it cracked.
    Its good for variation but not at that price tag
    Best Raw total 1850 at 181 lbs
    best comp raw lifts @ 181
    squat 710
    bench 500
    deadlift 670
    "Lightest man to bench 500 raw in a full meet"
    my you tube channel of my training http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkt7CVJ7443k6Vu_1DwP3UA
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #9 ||---||
    ()---() York Barbell Club #81 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #81 []---[]

twoforme2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) twoforme2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) twoforme2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) twoforme2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) twoforme2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) twoforme2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) twoforme2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) twoforme2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) twoforme2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) twoforme2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) twoforme2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    I got the marrs bar on their black Friday sale, and it isn't worth the sale price.
    No reason why this shouldn't be a $300 bar. The finish is lowsey padding is okay but nothing to special.
    It is not an ssb at all. It feels like a real low bar squat with a harness. A little to low for my short torso..
    I haven't got to front squat with it much since I cracked my ribs on. A pl meet I just did benching 605, as the bar digs into where it cracked.
    Its good for variation but not at that price tag
    I agree...the Marrs bar is NOT an SSB. The bar sits completely different. I do not feel near the stresses in the back and neck as I do with the Yoke. I have to say though I do like it more for good mornings than the Yoke because it does sit lower and does not put the same stress on my neck.

Yolk Dimensions

Outside of the padding differences, this is likely where the two bars are most different. The Crep is 17in length across and the SS Yolk is 18.5in. Dave Tate claims they made the new yolk wider which was designed to spread the weight out better on the upper back. I'll just take his word on that since the yolk padding is so much thicker than the Crep it will naturally feel better anyway. Between the pads though, the SS Yolk is effectively one inch narrower which likely has more to do with pad thickness than anything else, but it is narrow than the Crep. The pads running vertically from end to end on the Crep are 10in and 13in on the SS Yolk. Again, padding thickness accounts for some of the length difference, but the SS Yolk runs noticeably longer. The added length doesn't seem to make any difference for me in functionality, but again, the yoke is far nicer in every direction than the Crep.

I haven't asked Ralph Crepinsek this question, but my feeling is the lack of yolk padding on the Crep adds to how his bar balances on the upper back. If you have less dense padding, whatever less padding you have is going to contact the shoulders better, and that's probably one part of why the 1500lb bar balances better than the rest at the expense of comfort. How the Crep balances is unlike any other SSB I've ever used, and I've used a long laundry list of SSBs over the years, the Crep is still hands down the best at sitting and balancing. If Ralph could only figure out a way to keep the same balanced feel with a nicer padded yolk, then the bar would have it all, but clearly Ralph has chosen function over comfort, and it's hard to argue with that.

Handles

Lastly, the handles on the SS Yolk are perfect, at least for me. They feel great and are the perfect length, I don't really think there's anything I'd want to change about it. The lack of standard handles on the Crep 1500lb is another sour point for me. At this price, the least Ralph can do is put a set of stubs on there as a standard. The stubs are a nice improvement over nothing, but they aren't nearly as nice as the SS Yolk handles in the slightest. And while I conceptually like the idea of Ralph's angled 8in handles, they add another $50+ to the cost of the bar. I know Dave Tate claims they plan on coming out with some new handles in the future, which is cool, but to me, I'm totally good with the standard handles, they're perfect to me.

Geometry

Both bars look nearly identical sitting in the rack with regards to bend angles. The only difference I can see between the two is the Crep dropdown bend comes straight down and the SS Yolk bends laterally at an angle one inch wider than the Crep. Dave Tate claims that moving the bend angle out an inch allowed the total capacity to go up, again, I'll just take his word on this one since I don't really have any basis to compare. I actually have no idea what this bar is capable of handling either, not even sure it's stated. The Crep is rated at 1500, but honestly, only a few mutants can take that bar up to 800lbs+, so I'm not really sure what the added benefit of being able to go up to 1500 would be outside of peace of mind. The SS Yolk also drops down one inch lower as well, but this increased dropdown length is essentially negated by the increase in pad thickness, so the result is that the bar sits essentially at the same spot as the Crep with shorter drop down bend and thinner pad thickness.

Bottom line, both bars geometry is correct with fairly similar bend angles. This however does not mean that they will feel the same in use, as I've pointed out, the Crep just feels different, but you feel good knowing that where the load is sitting on these two bars is very similar.

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Awesome write up. Have read every word. Thanks for taking the time to do this. On spread.

Gray Matter Lifting Dont Want None's Avatar
    Dont Want None is just really nice. (+1000) Dont Want None is just really nice. (+1000) Dont Want None is just really nice. (+1000) Dont Want None is just really nice. (+1000) Dont Want None is just really nice. (+1000) Dont Want None is just really nice. (+1000) Dont Want None is just really nice. (+1000) Dont Want None is just really nice. (+1000) Dont Want None is just really nice. (+1000) Dont Want None is just really nice. (+1000) Dont Want None is just really nice. (+1000)
    This should be good!

The main couple of points I'm interested in at the end:
    1) Which is best and why? Ideally more objective than subjective, but personal preference is certainly a thing with equipment.
    2) If you owned one or the other, would it be "worth it" to upgrade to the better one? (as in, dump the current on CL, and pay new price for the better one)
    3) Any reason to own both?

I think you are pseudo close to me. I own the EDGE SSB if you wanted to work that into the review process as well, as I often hear Elite, Edge, Crep, and then now the Titan clone tossed in there.
    My personal motto is Better than Yesterday. This defines who I am, my view of the world, and my goals in life. Each day, I try to be a little better than I was the day before. A little smarter, a little stronger, a little happier.

On social media as Gray Matter Lifting

dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Really enjoying this MGM - appreciate you taking the time out.
    ▪[[────]]▪ York Barbell Club #65 ▪[[────]]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #65 []---[]
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #3 ▪[M]===[6]▪
    ─</>─<\>─ BWTG Cluster #65 ─</>─<\>─
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #65 ||---|| ▪█────█▪ Equipment Crew #74 ▪█────█▪

Sig line is not a novel.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I bought the Crep way back in 2004 and was the only SSBar i used because basically thats all there was.
    About five years ago i bought the yoke bar and it's now my go to bar.
    The Crep bar is a very good solid bar and i think the camber may be slightly different than the yoke and it sits up a bit higher.
    Things with the Crep i don't like are no handles.
    Grabbing the little knobs kind of sucks.
    The vinyl over the padding eventually came unglued and is a sticky mess.
    No fixing it other than duct tapping it up.
    It's still a usable bar but those issues are annoying.
    Ive had none of those issues with the yoke bar and even bought extra optional handles that are longer than the ones it came with.
    The only issue ,if you are anal, is the lacquer finish will scrape off in a power rack on the J-hooks but has absolutely nothing to do with the function of the bar.
    Still nice to have the Crep but i mostly use the yoke these days.

vhd16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vhd16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vhd16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vhd16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vhd16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vhd16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vhd16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vhd16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vhd16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vhd16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vhd16 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Finally really nice thread MGM and as usual very insightful info.

I replaced SS Yoke ( Bought it on CL ) with Crep's 1500 lb one based on the forum suggestions. I like Crep's better as the padding on Yoke seems to dig into my neck .

As per the balance , i do feel that Crep's one exposes your weakness much better than SS Yoke. It was relatively easy and comfortable to squat with SS yoke as compared to Crep's initially. Really have to focus on keeping the Torso upright especially coming out the hole with Crep. FYI, i don't lift as heavy as some others here as still nursing a knee injury.

End of the day , helping and supporting a small business did play a big factor as well in going with Crep.

Handles on SS Yoke were definitely easier and nicer on SS yoke.I have 5" stubs from Crep. They are still in the box. But if the goal is not to use handles then does it matter ?
    [M]===[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #35 ▪[M]===[6]

[]------[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #102 []------[]

[]------[] York Barbell Club #80 (DD)[]-----[]

Originally Posted by Dont Want None View Post
    This should be good!

The main couple of points I'm interested in at the end:
    1) Which is best and why? Ideally more objective than subjective, but personal preference is certainly a thing with equipment.
    2) If you owned one or the other, would it be "worth it" to upgrade to the better one? (as in, dump the current on CL, and pay new price for the better one)
    3) Any reason to own both?

I think you are pseudo close to me. I own the EDGE SSB if you wanted to work that into the review process as well, as I often hear Elite, Edge, Crep, and then now the Titan clone tossed in there.
    I used to own the EFS Yoke V1 which apparently was made my Edge, so I'm pretty familiar with that bar. I actually liked that bar a lot, only thing that I didn't like about it was the handle length. That was my main SSB for a number of years until going back to the Crep1500.

Originally Posted by vhd16 View Post
    Finally really nice thread MGM and as usual very insightful info.

I replaced SS Yoke ( Bought it on CL ) with Crep's 1500 lb one based on the forum suggestions. I like Crep's better as the padding on Yoke seems to dig into my neck .

As per the balance , i do feel that Crep's one exposes your weakness much better than SS Yoke. It was relatively easy and comfortable to squat with SS yoke as compared to Crep's initially. Really have to focus on keeping the Torso upright especially coming out the hole with Crep. FYI, i don't lift as heavy as some others here as still nursing a knee injury.

End of the day , helping and supporting a small business did play a big factor as well in going with Crep.

Handles on SS Yoke were definitely easier and nicer on SS yoke.I have 5" stubs from Crep. They are still in the box. But if the goal is not to use handles then does it matter ?
    What I keep circling back to in comparing these bars and really any SSB for that matter is that the Crep is just unique and does things that the other bars can't do. The no-hands training, safe to say, Crep is the only bar I'd feel 100% certain doing that with. These other bars can do it, but it doesn't feel like it was meant to do that like the Crep feels.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    I bought the Crep way back in 2004 and was the only SSBar i used because basically thats all there was.
    About five years ago i bought the yoke bar and it's now my go to bar.
    The Crep bar is a very good solid bar and i think the camber may be slightly different than the yoke and it sits up a bit higher.
    Things with the Crep i don't like are no handles.
    Grabbing the little knobs kind of sucks.
    The vinyl over the padding eventually came unglued and is a sticky mess.
    No fixing it other than duct tapping it up.
    It's still a usable bar but those issues are annoying.
    Ive had none of those issues with the yoke bar and even bought extra optional handles that are longer than the ones it came with.
    The only issue ,if you are anal, is the lacquer finish will scrape off in a power rack on the J-hooks but has absolutely nothing to do with the function of the bar.
    Still nice to have the Crep but i mostly use the yoke these days.
    The camber on the Crep is slightly different, but the end result of where the bar load sits is virtually the same, the feel difference comes from the padding difference which is quite a difference. Haven't gone into the vinyl yet, but have some thoughts there, and yes, when the Crep vinyl tears, there's definitely problems.

Bar aesthetics

The presentation of these two bars couldn't be more different. The Crep is all business with really no care about how it looks, reminds me of the Bill Belichick of bars. The Crep comes with a powder coated black finish, and like most powder coat finishes, it flakes right off, and bar presentation was probably the furthest thing on Ralph's mind when designing this bar. The steel is very high quality and the bends are perfect. The vinyl and padding has a lot to be desired. The padding is at best case sufficient. The vinyl is of decent thickness, but it's far from anything fancy. The vinyl also has the tendency of pulling off from the padding which can expose it to rips, and I've seen from years passed, once the vinyl rips, the entire yolk essentially slowly falls apart which then requires the typical repair jobs of duct tape and an old knee wrap around the tape job. I would say for about 10 years, my go-to Crep was the one I referred to as the one with the knee wrap. Anyway, that was totally fine when I was in that environment back then, but now, I think it's time for Ralph to evolve and do better. Fixing the padding on the yolk and adding handles as standard with the bar would be a very good step in the right direction.

The SS Yolk on the other hand by comparison puts aesthetics as close to the top as function, maybe higher. The bar out of the box is really a sharp looking bar. The bare steel and clear coat finish looks very good, at least new, it can look rather beat up as it scratches off. The steel looks to be the same quality in feel as the Crep, so I'm sure it can handle 800+ for whatever lift you're looking to do. The yolk as I mentioned looks really nice. The vinyl looks good but isn't really that thick or high quality, in fact, it may even be as thin as the Crep, but how everything is put together and constructed is very nice. The handles are the same cleared steel as the bar which again, looks really sharp, and overall, the yoke and handles are easily my favorite part of the bar. I can see why most people are drawn to this bar as a favorite SSB, it really looks good.

C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I can't compare to the Yoke but I have handles on my Crep and use them to unrack out of monos. I don't find I get really good lock down of the bar until 185-225 and probably need 275 to unrack perfectly without hands. I imagine thick padding on the Yoke would make it even worse. I have pretty prominent traps so likely just my build. Not any kind of issue with decent weight as I use rack handles at times.

Love the way the lift feels though.

Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    I can't compare to the Yoke but I have handles on my Crep and use them to unrack out of monos. I don't find I get really good lock down of the bar until 185-225 and probably need 275 to unrack perfectly without hands. I imagine thick padding on the Yoke would make it even worse. I have pretty prominent traps so likely just my build. Not any kind of issue with decent weight as I use rack handles at times.

Love the way the lift feels though.
    Handles only can make setup easier, especially with lighter weights as you mention. I personally don't have any issues unracking the Crep with no hands no matter what weight is loaded, but that is something I almost never do. The thicker, larger padding on the SS Yolk makes this process tougher to unrack without the handles, but since there's handles, why not use them and position the bar exactly where you want it to sit. If I had some serious arm or shoulder injury and I couldn't lift my arm up to hold a bar or a handle, safe to say, I could still train with the Crep just fine, I don't think I would attempt this with the same level of confidence on the SS Yolk. Now, how important a feature that may be to a person depends. I think the older and more beat up I get, I probably want the bar that I know I can get under to unrack with no arms and still be able to train.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    EliteFTS Yoke

Rogue SSB
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^
    ****** Make China Poor Again ******

Handles only can make setup easier, especially with lighter weights as you mention. I personally don't have any issues unracking the Crep with no hands no matter what weight is loaded, but that is something I almost never do. The thicker, larger padding on the SS Yolk makes this process tougher to unrack without the handles, but since there's handles, why not use them and position the bar exactly where you want it to sit. If I had some serious arm or shoulder injury and I couldn't lift my arm up to hold a bar or a handle, safe to say, I could still train with the Crep just fine, I don't think I would attempt this with the same level of confidence on the SS Yolk. Now, how important a feature that may be to a person depends. I think the older and more beat up I get, I probably want the bar that I know I can get under to unrack with no arms and still be able to train.
    Just to clarify. Using the handles, unracking is easy. Light weight and no hands is where there is a bit of movement. Could be my traps and where the bar sits, could be using monos, could be a combination. Heavier weight is fine but I always unrack with my hands on the bar and then setup how I want. Kind of jealous others don't have this issue as I've tried it quite a bit and finally don't bother any more.

skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bill Belichick bars?

Originally Posted by skrebs01 View Post
    Bill Belichick bars?
    The Darth Hoodie of bars

Originally Posted by skrebs01 View Post
    Bill Belichick bars?
    Cheater bars. Also looks dirty and homeless. ;-)

I was going to give this comparison a little more time before I gave some more final thoughts, but I'm pretty sure I know where this is going and a proper break-in of the yolk at this point isn't going to affect my thoughts...maybe down the road I may need to add an addendum, but for now, I think I'm good.

There's a clear winner depending on which attributes you find are most important when identifying which SSB to go with, but lets sort of draw up some categories:

Geared/Hardcore Powerlifter
    Old School Powerlifter/Bodybuilder with over 20 years exp
    USAPL RAW PLer
    Garage CFer/PLer/PBer but not competitive

The reason for these categories is because in general, most people fall into one of these examples as far as a decision matrix goes.

I also don't want to say that there is one clear winner because neither is perfect.

For those curious which is the better balancing SSB, this isn't even a debate...the Crep is by far the better balancing bar. Now that comes with a cost of a lesser desirable yolk, but the bar sits and balances better, this is a fact. I was a little surprised by the a few of the reviewers who have claimed to have used the Crep and thought the SS Yoke balanced as well or didn't think it was that big of a difference, etc, they either haven't really used a Crep for an extended period of time or they didn't have both Crep and SS Yoke to really compare. This isn't to say that the SS Yoke doesn't balance well, I think it does balance just fine once it's in the right spot, but because of the padding thickness, it's going to flop around a bit more than the Crep and just takes a little more adjusting to get in the right spot so it does balance at it's best.

I think if you're a geared PLer, or an old school powerbuilder, you're going to feel most comfortable with the Crep because that's likely what you've been used to for a long time and you're used to a certain feel because that was all that was available for a really long time. I also think this group does more of the Hatfield and Anderson squatting as well where bar balance comes more into play. Again, not to say that the SS Yolk can't be good for this group, just saying that this group is already used to a certain feel and anything other than that is going to feel weird.

If you're a newer/younger USAPL type lifter, I'd say that the SS Yoke is probably your bag, not that the Crep wouldn't do the job, I just think this younger group isn't as extreme as the older lifters, and a lot of that has to do with geared lifting going away, so they aren't doing some of these lifts that require a dramatic training effect or perfect balance and they tend to gravitate to more comfortable than more desired training effect. This is just a blanket statement here, I'm not saying everyone who lifts USAPL is this way, just stating what I've seen and how things have changed in training the last 10 years and things have moved into this direction now by comparison.

I also think this last group falls into the SS Yolk category as well since they are more of a hybrid group, doing a little bit of everything. Again, just making a blanket statement here, I understand that there are some very competitive guys training out of their garages, but in general, the garage group is a hybrid, and the SS Yolk combines function and comfort which is more than likely the desired attribute for this group.

So now that I've got a pretty good feel for these two bars, if I had to make a general recommendation for which bar to get, without knowing the individual, I'd probably say go with the SS Yolk just because it does a little bit of everything at a good to very good level. The comfort of the yolk by comparison and good overall look make this a hard bar to pass up on.

The real question now is if the Titan SSB is really in the same category as the SS Yolk, if it is, the money savings alone may be the way to go for at least one or two of these groups although I'm not sure I could ever really trust Titan with anything where my health depends on it.