shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Can I use metal paint on the following dumbbell handles?

Hi everyone, I recently acquired some iron ended dumbbells and also some rubber ended dumbbells, the iron ones have a different finish on the handles to the rubber ended ones, the first picture I have added is of the rubber ended dumbbells where you can see they they come up with a very shiny chrome finish whereas the handles on the iron ones must have originally been finished in some sort of paint as bits are peeling off as at the ends as you can see from the images that I have included.

As the you see the dumbbell heads need repainting which I will use the following metal paint for:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now my question is could I use this metal paint just on the ends of the handles also, just to make them look much cleaner as I will ultimately sell these on but just want to check that metal paint will be suitable? bearing in mind whatever was originally put on the handles was some type of paint anyway? just wondering if I could sand down the ends where the brown bits are showing then use the same paint as on the heads of the dumbbells?

Any help/advice on this issue would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
    Attached Images

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by shanew48 View Post
    Hi everyone, I recently acquired some iron ended dumbbells and also some rubber ended dumbbells, the iron ones have a different finish on the handles to the rubber ended ones, the first picture I have added is of the rubber ended dumbbells where you can see they they come up with a very shiny chrome finish whereas the handles on the iron ones must have originally been finished in some sort of paint as bits are peeling off as at the ends as you can see from the images that I have included.

As the you see the dumbbell heads need repainting which I will use the following metal paint for:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now my question is could I use this metal paint just on the ends of the handles also, just to make them look much cleaner as I will ultimately sell these on but just want to check that metal paint will be suitable? bearing in mind whatever was originally put on the handles was some type of paint anyway? just wondering if I could sand down the ends where the brown bits are showing then use the same paint as on the heads of the dumbbells?

Any help/advice on this issue would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
    IMO I probably wouldn't bother. Those type of grey painted hex dumbbells always end up looking that way, I have several. As an economy product, grey painted iron Hex dumbbells have a well deserved reputation for dropping paint and rust chips in the eyes during bench press. I wouldn't waste a lot of effort refinishing them its sort of expected that they will look that way. There are guides for refinishing weight plates, you can use a similar strategy for these dumbbells. You might be better off just cleaning them with soap and hot water and a brush.

If you really want to repaint them, use a wire brush or a wire wheel on a drill to remove loose fragments, soap and water to get remaining dirt off, wipe it down with a tack cloth or mineral spirits and a rag, let it evaporate/dry, and then paint over. If you use a brush and liquid paint it might end up thicker than you want on the knurl and adhesion might be tricky. Spray might be easier overall. Rustoleum Stops Rust and Krylon Rust Tough are brands that might work. Rustoleum sells a "Hammered" paint which many use to repaint weight plates.

shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shanew48 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    IMO I probably wouldn't bother. Those type of grey painted hex dumbbells always end up looking that way, I have several. As an economy product, grey painted iron Hex dumbbells have a well deserved reputation for dropping paint and rust chips in the eyes during bench press. I wouldn't waste a lot of effort refinishing them its sort of expected that they will look that way. There are guides for refinishing weight plates, you can use a similar strategy for these dumbbells. You might be better off just cleaning them with soap and hot water and a brush.

If you really want to repaint them, use a wire brush or a wire wheel on a drill to remove loose fragments, soap and water to get remaining dirt off, wipe it down with a tack cloth or mineral spirits and a rag, let it evaporate/dry, and then paint over. If you use a brush and liquid paint it might end up thicker than you want on the knurl and adhesion might be tricky. Spray might be easier overall. Rustoleum Stops Rust and Krylon Rust Tough are brands that might work. Rustoleum sells a "Hammered" paint which many use to repaint weight plates.
    Ok thanks, might just go over lightly around the ends and leave the middle bits of the handles as they are, have already given the handles a through clean and tried to get the dark bits off with tin foil but it seems impossible to remove, like you say about the paint I'm putting on the heads being too thick for the handles, that is my concern so I won't paint the whole handle just to be on the safe side, kind of tempting as it would freshen up the look of them but it could very well make them look over done couldn't it. Thanks for your feedback anyway.

weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As far as paint brands go, a lot of us have had success with Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X Black spray. It's fairly inexpensive, dries quickly, and has held up well on my roundheads. This is only for the spray cans--the non-spray version of Painter's Touch is a Latex, which you don't want.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #49 ()---() ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #11 ──<//>─<\\>──