DearMyLord is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I tried cardio, all types of fasting. But why didn't they make any difference?

I lost 25lb in less than 1 year by cutting sugar out of my everyday eating and swimming for just 20 minutes a day, 3 days a week. I went from this 08/27/2017 (195lb) to this 02/07/2018 (174lb). Shown in Comparison 1.

Fast forward to 9/9/19 (that is 11+9=20month or 1yr, 8months after that second picture), I am still at 170lb. Is there any difference? Leave a comment. See Comparison 2.

I started trying out different stuff to lose weight and make my muscle more defined. For five weeks, I would go to swim 3 times a week. The result is in Comparison 3.

Then for 5 more weeks, I did fast 16 hours every day. I usually would eat my dinner at 5pm and then wait till 9am to eat my breakfast the next day. In the meantime, I did weight training 3 times a week to maintain muscle mass to burn calories. Is there any deficit of calories if I fast but still eat my breakfast and skip no meals? Leave a comment. Shown in Comparison 4.

Then, I still saw no changes. So I tried something slightly different. For 5 more weeks, I did a 24hr fast once day per week. That means I eat my dinner today and skip breakfast + lunch the next day. Not exactly 24 hours, but I hoped it would create a calorie deficit. Again, I did weight training (no swimming though, no cardio) 3 times per week. See Comparison 5.

I was 173lb at this point. That last picture, on the left, was taken on 12/16/2019. If you compare that to 02/07/2018 (174lb), do you see any change? See Comparison 6

I really wish I have more lower chest definition. I think one is I need to lose a bit more fat around my lower chest. The other thing is that I need to do more straight bar dips. Any helpful suggestion is GREATLY appreciated.
    Attached Images

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    5 weeks may seem like a significant stretch to you but it's barely a start. Quit making such frequent course changes.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    5 weeks may seem like a significant stretch to you but it's barely a start. Quit making such frequent course changes.
    This ^^^^.

OP, think about it. You lifted weights 3 times a week for 5 weeks. 15 whole workouts! You expected what after 15 workouts?

All of this fasting and timing/manipulation and you never mentioned calories...

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What are you trying to do, lose fat or build muscle? People that try to do both at the same time usually end up just spinning their wheels so you need to pick just one goal and go after it.

If fat loss is the goal and the scale isn't going down its because you are taking in too many calories on a weekly basis.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

JohnLeyo is a complete loser! (-2000) JohnLeyo is a complete loser! (-2000) JohnLeyo is a complete loser! (-2000) JohnLeyo is a complete loser! (-2000) JohnLeyo is a complete loser! (-2000) JohnLeyo is a complete loser! (-2000) JohnLeyo is a complete loser! (-2000) JohnLeyo is a complete loser! (-2000) JohnLeyo is a complete loser! (-2000) JohnLeyo is a complete loser! (-2000) JohnLeyo is a complete loser! (-2000)
    You may need this advice:
    What started as a challenging workout might not leave you breathless and sore like it did before. That’s because your body gets used to things quickly, says Goldman. “A weight-loss plateau is a sign that we have to change something,” she says. “Your body is used to where it is now—it’s comfortable. You have to shake up the body a bit and challenge it.” Instead of walking at the same pace for your daily walk, change the speed every few minutes or bump up the incline if you’re on a treadmill, Goldman recommends.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    That's a red herring. If you aren't losing weight at the required rate, you need to increase your calorie deficit.

Changin stuff around might help you from a psychological point of view - but only insofar as it helps you sustain a calorie deficit.

Manlets gonna make it Natty1980's Avatar
    Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The problem is that there's nothing to define. You lack muscles. The sole process of losing fat will not improve your appearance significantly until you build enough muscle on your arms and mid-section.
    Focus on lifting and make sure that, even in a caloric deficit, you eat enough protein (120-130 g / day for you) and fats (60 g/day).
    Fasting and skipping meals will not help you, it will only make your muscle gains harder.

faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    All of this fasting and timing/manipulation and you never mentioned calories...
    100% this. why focus on the least meaningful (if not completely irrelevant) things when a caloric deficit is all that matters?
    positive crew

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah, without any mention of how many calories you're eating I'm going to say most likely reason is going to be calorie intake.

Fasting, cutting sugar and all that doesn't make any difference if you're not under maintenance.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

DearMyLord is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Natty1980 View Post
    The problem is that there's nothing to define. You lack muscles. The sole process of losing fat will not improve your appearance significantly until you build enough muscle on your arms and mid-section.
    Focus on lifting and make sure that, even in a caloric deficit, you eat enough protein (120-130 g / day for you) and fats (60 g/day).
    Fasting and skipping meals will not help you, it will only make your muscle gains harder.
    Thanks for the advice. I am actually not looking to gain that much muscle. My outer chest definition is showing (you cannot see it that clearly in the picture due to bad lighting). But my lower chest definition doesn't exist. I think I can get it by working on my lower chest more and losing more fat. See Comparison 8.

But I cannot afford to go to gym. So all I can do at my local park is some pullups, parallel and straight bar dips. The problem is I can work out my chest at max 2 times a week due to soreness. Is soreness the only way to grow muscle tho? If there is no soreness, does that means I am not growing?

Also, I learned that warming up with light rep and finishing up with light rep help release the lactic acid accumulated during heavy workouts and help reduce onsetting soreness after the workout.
    Attached Images

284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DearMyLord View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I am actually not looking to gain that much muscle. My outer chest definition is showing (you cannot see it that clearly in the picture due to bad lighting). But my lower chest definition doesn't exist. I think I can get it by working on my lower chest more and losing more fat. See Comparison 8.

But I cannot afford to go to gym. So all I can do at my local park is some pullups, parallel and straight bar dips. The problem is I can work out my chest at max 2 times a week due to soreness. Is soreness the only way to grow muscle tho? If there is no soreness, does that means I am not growing?

Also, I learned that warming up with light rep and finishing up with light rep help release the lactic acid accumulated during heavy workouts and help reduce onsetting soreness after the workout.
    You still haven’t mentioned calories

Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DearMyLord View Post
    Is soreness the only way to grow muscle tho? If there is no soreness, does that means I am not growing? .
    DOMS (soreness) does not grow muscle. The tearing of muscle micro fibers and repairing them through a caloric surplus and adequate protein grows muscle. I feel like you skipped over a lot of good advice that was given by others in this thread.