Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hhavas is on a distinguished road. (+10)

My trainer says I am a pussy for using gloves. Is it true?

I have personal training at my local gym. I have been doing it for over a year now. During each session I will use half finger gloves. I use them to protect my hands and to give me more grip. I find that if I dont use gloves then I have trouble holding onto something heavy for a long time.

My trainer always calls me a pussy for using gloves and keeps telling me to throw them away because its pissing him off. He told me that my grip strength will never improve because I am using gloves. When he trains by himself, he trains at another gym and told me that I wouldn't even be allowed into his other gym if I went there with gloves. Is using gloves in the bodybuilding industry known to be something quite bad and to be ashamed of ?

He told me that if I have to use something then the only tool allowed is a wrist strap. These are not for pussies he said and these are accepted

So I am wondering are there any benefits of not using gloves ? If I stop using gloves will my grip strength improve? With gloves I still have to grip so I feel like it wouldn't make much of a difference. Is using straps a better option?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Many ppl feel gloves weaken your grip, make the bar thicker, give you lady hands, etc. so they use chalk if anything. Do whatever you want, it's not a big deal either way.

Better option is not to pay someone $100+/hour to call you a p**** for over a year.

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This day and age I’d wear gloves just to prevent getting the HIV
    Make Misc great again

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Get a different trainer. It's entirely your choice--I personally would choose straps over gloves because I think they work better for pulling exercises, but it's personal preference.

Also, your trainer's just an absolute idiot--straps would work your forearms even less than wearing gloves, so I'm not sure what he's on about.
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ditch the trainer, keep the gloves. Calluses suck.
    Calls 'em like I sees 'em Crew
    Suomalainen Crew
    Feels like a manlet around Amazonian women Crew
    Gets turned on when looking in the mirror Crew

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wear gloves to prevent calluses and protect your skin from cuts, blisters, and infection. (This will also benefit your dates or significant other.)

Do direct grip work to strengthen your grip.
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FatBallz View Post
    Ditch the trainer, keep the gloves. Calluses suck.
    This. What a douche

NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Insulting your client is always a great way to keep, and motivate, them: said no-one outside of military bootcamp. Your trainer is lucky you haven't dropped him/her.

If you want to wear fingerless gloves, wear them. If it helps with grip then what's the problem?
    I am one of the 3%.
    I am one of the 1 in 8.
    www.metavivor.org
    www.metavivor.org/take-action/why-we-need-you

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Learn to grip the bar properly and moderate calluses will form which won't cause a problem. Before i learned to do this, they used to be big and painful and regularly peel off.

http://www.strongbodycrossfit.com/ho...d-avoid-tears/

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That’s not very professional on your trainer’s part if they’re calling you that.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

12 pack > 6 pack PurmaBulker1984's Avatar
    PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If your going to get serious about lifting then ditch the gloves. Use chalk or straps.
    Current max
    325 bb bench
    295 incl bb bench
    275 push press.

Married w/ 2 kids crew

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hhavas View Post
    My trainer always calls me a pussy for using gloves and keeps telling me to throw them away because its pissing him off. He told me that my grip strength will never improve because I am using gloves. When he trains by himself, he trains at another gym and told me that I wouldn't even be allowed into his other gym if I went there with gloves. Is using gloves in the bodybuilding industry known to be something quite bad and to be ashamed of ?
    Then I must be one as well. Have been using gloves since the first day I walked into a gym and always do without fail. Have multiple pairs in both my cars to ensure I have them no matter what. I would rather go to the gym with no water then without my gloves (as you can see I always use them).

So I am wondering are there any benefits of not using gloves ? If I stop using gloves will my grip strength improve? With gloves I still have to grip so I feel like it wouldn't make much of a difference. Is using straps a better option?
    This is one I would say is down to your personal preference. I imagine if you started off without gloves and built calluses or gradually hardened the skin over time then there would be some advantage as the bar will likely slip in the material of gloves instead of your skin. However I know if I started lifting the weight I lift bare handed now I would destroy my hands in one session.

Originally Posted by PurmaBulker1984 View Post
    If your going to get serious about lifting then ditch the gloves. Use chalk or straps.
    I am curious what level is serious? I can deadlift about 420lbs (1rm) and bench 290lbs (1rm) at 180-190lbs and always use gloves. I can't imagine removing them will make much difference other then tearing my hands to bits chalk or not. Not the most impressive lifts I will admit but I believe I am in the intermediate stage of lifting and past beginner stage and take weight lifting semi-serious.

Originally Posted by HomeGymChains View Post
    Wear gloves to prevent calluses and protect your skin from cuts, blisters, and infection. (This will also benefit your dates or significant other.)
    ^^^^

This in my opinion. There is a difference between grip strength and destroying your hands where you can lift. OP do what you like and tell the trainer to kindly to ***k off.

12 pack > 6 pack PurmaBulker1984's Avatar
    PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post

I am curious what level is serious? I can deadlift about 420lbs (1rm) and bench 290lbs (1rm) at 180-190lbs and always use gloves. I can't imagine removing them will make much difference other then tearing my hands to bits chalk or not. Not the most impressive lifts I will admit but I believe I am in the intermediate stage of lifting and past beginner stage and take weight lifting semi-serious.

tell the trainer to kindly to ***k off.
    I personally don't like gloves because I want to feel the weight for most of my lifts. I'm a contractor so calluses are actually a plus. For deadlifts I do straps and bench I do chalk. For bench I'd be worried the glove would shift while pulling the bar apart. You are definitely the exception in my gym for strength to glove ratio. So no judging. I'd be interested in trying then for vertical pulls since faster than straps and chalk doesn't work great with the rubber handles.

As for telling the PT to **** off. 100% agree. Any one calling me a pussy would find themselves on their ass. Real men don't talk ****.
    Current max
    325 bb bench
    295 incl bb bench
    275 push press.

Married w/ 2 kids crew

WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Id be ok with my trainer riding my ass and calling me a pussy. If id been working with that trainer for a long time, and he's actually like being useful. Some "only pussies wear gloves, bro" doesn't really fit the description though.

You should complain to his boss. Make a big deal. His attacks undermined your self confidence and neatly caused you to abandon your endeavor for a better life. I didn't pay hundreds of dollars so some fatass can call me a pussy.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Rabbitjb View Post
    Gloves weaken your grip not improve it, and they don’t protect from calluses IME

But if you don’t like your PTs attitude to your choices ditch him and find another
    ^^this

BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I remember when I was a pu$$y and worried what other people thought about me.
    Jesus Christ is Lord whether you accept Him or not.

WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BlackJack619 View Post
    I remember when I was a pu$$y and worried what other people thought about me.
    What he said

fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    he did you a favor. because yes, gloves are for pussies.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by fishnbrah View Post
    he did you a favor. because yes, gloves are for pussies.
    I think the misc section is missing their star pupil. Maps are available at the top of the page if you need it.

Hutrapper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hutrapper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hutrapper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hutrapper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hutrapper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hutrapper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hutrapper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hutrapper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hutrapper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hutrapper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hutrapper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Whether you wear gloves or not is a small detail. I'd be wondering why he thinks it makes a big enough difference to matter.

He works for you, remember that.

Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I may get backlash for this but he's right. He's more on the rough side with his words lolol. But personally I'm a huge believer in not using gloves. That way when my wife holds my hand and she can feel the calluses, she knows she married a man.
    "The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud
    "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -Leonardo da Vinci

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Animal2692 View Post
    I may get backlash for this but he's right. He's more on the rough side with his words lolol. But personally I'm a huge believer in not using gloves. That way when my wife holds my hand and she can feel the calluses, she knows she married a man.
    You have a giant lion's head tattooed on your chest, so you're prob already covered in the manliness department.

I personally don't care whether anyone else wears gloves or not - people should do what they feel works best for them. I used to not wear gloves until a giant callus ripped right off and I had a gaping hole in my palm - now I choose gloves. I still get calluses, but they're just not as ridiculous.

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You guys sound like a bunch of pussies complaining about some stupid callouses. Why don't you try having giant permanent freshly ripped open callouses, putting chalk all over them and then kipping and giant swinging between the uneven parallel bars for gymnastics practice every other day... as a kid, of course!
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

Originally Posted by etet1919 View Post
    You guys sound like a bunch of pussies complaining about some stupid callouses. Why don't you try having giant permanent freshly ripped open callouses, putting chalk all over them and then kipping and giant swinging between the uneven parallel bars for gymnastics practice every other day... as a kid, of course!
    I'm not going to argue with a female gymnast - you gals are ridiculously strong lb for lb and willingly put yourselves thru tons of punishment. That being said, I'm happy to not have that problem. Call me what you want.

etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    I'm not going to argue with a female gymnast - you gals are ridiculously strong lb for lb and willingly put yourselves thru tons of punishment. That being said, I'm happy to not have that problem. Call me what you want.
    I would never call you guys that!! As a matter of fact, I've been trying to rep you for weeks. Here was my chance to tell you

But you're right- we did take some punishment, now that I remembered...One of my coaches (my private coach) used to make me take OFF my grips at times, and train with my bare hands ridden with all those open callouses. Her purpose? She thought it would toughen me up, I guess. I almost hated her for it. No, I loved her very much actually
    Last edited by etet1919; 12-14-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

I would never call you guys that!! As a matter of fact, I've been trying to rep you for weeks. Here was my chance to tell you
    Can't rep you either so we're even.

But you're right- we did take some punishment, now that I remembered...One of my coaches (my private coach) used to make me take OFF my grips at times, and train with my bare hands ridden with all those open callouses. Her purpose? She thought it would toughen me up, I guess. I almost hated her for it. No, I loved her very much actually
    Like I said, gluttons for punishment. Not to mention the mental stress you seem to be under at your competitions.

Originally Posted by Animal2692 View Post
    What I find funny is men go on and say that wearing gloves are for boys and not manly (fair enough their opinion afterall).

Then they go off and shave all their body hair for better aesthetics with their missus razor... I would be more concerned about that for my manliness.

But alas it's cold in England and always wear gloves so I am bias :-)
    Last edited by hardyboysare; 12-15-2019 at 02:58 AM.

jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Haha! This is exactly what I was thinking. And of course trying to comprehend not wanting calluses, considering how much they help.
    2022 -- Just maintaining and doing the van life
    April 2021.................16 week cut.................168 lbs
    2020......................375 / 285 / 505..............186 lbs
    Pre-COVID..............335 / 295 / 499..............185 lbs
    July 1, 2019................9 week cut.................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What colour are the gloves?

@ air2fakie: I usually did much better in practice than competitions on bars and beam! Nerves can mess with your balance big time! But my vault and floor were through the roof...*flying up, through the roof....* lol

@ jademonkey: I admit I still hate working through callouses on days I do heavy upright rows

@ Tom: ^^ I guess my above admittance means if I wore gloves, I'd be inclined to think pink
    Last edited by etet1919; 12-15-2019 at 05:24 AM.