simonki is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Beginner - Cut or maintain?

Hi all,

I'm just getting back into training after a few years, I trained for around 12 months back then and was happy with progress but started a physical job and haven't found the time or energy until now!

I am 6"4 and around 105kg or 230lb

Back when I was training I started around 95kg and gained up to 105kg in lean muscle.

My question is do I aim to cut back to 10-15% BF before bulking up again. Or do I just eat to maintain and the fat will disappear?

I'd say I'm around 25% body fat now maybe a little more

Thanks!!

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Post a pic for better advice, but if you are 25% bf you will need to cut or attempt a recomp (slight caloric deficit).

No eating to maintain will not cause that much difference even as a beginner, muscle growth will not out do your current fat level. I imagine the answer will be cut anyway but a pic will show more.

simonki is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    Post a pic for better advice, but if you are 25% bf you will need to cut or attempt a recomp (slight caloric deficit).

No eating to maintain will not cause that much difference even as a beginner, muscle growth will not out do your current fat level. I imagine the answer will be cut anyway but a pic will show more.
    I have posted some photos in profile gallery and a profile photo for an idea of where I'm at

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by simonki View Post
    I have posted some photos in profile gallery and a profile photo for an idea of where I'm at
    Cutting would be the best choice IMO.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by simonki View Post
    I am 6"4 and around 105kg or 230lb
    Cut. Lose about 0.7% of bw per week while progressively getting stronger.

Make sure you're on a good routine, for example Fierce 5 Novice.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/