VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is it too much of cardio?

Whenever I hit the gym, I'll make sure I run/walk 5+ km and whatever above is bonus, I'm trying to lose weight.

Today while I was running past 5km, I was told that it is too much and I should stop.

Since I had no idea what I'm doing, I accepted and stepped down.

So is it ok to hit 5km on lifting day and 10 on rest days? Or should I lower it. I would take about 40 mins to complete 5k. I feel no impact on my knees or anywhere. If I should stop, why?
    Last edited by VigneshSP; 12-13-2019 at 01:40 AM.

jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Too much for what?

5k in 40 minutes is very low fitness level, and is not at all excessive. I'd suggest increasing pace to at least sub 30 minutes rather than do it every day. Give yourself a couple days of NO exercise as recovery days, and push harder on days you do cardio. Personally I prefer cycling. I get to go outside and see sights and go much farther than I could on foot.

Edit, just saw your previous posts about losing weight. That's a good thing to mention in the OP, since many people do cardio for vastly different reasons - enjoyment, training, fitness, socializing, etc.

Cardio is great way to burn additional calories and make diet a bit easier, especially steady cardio that isn't carb-hungry. When I was losing weight I tried to get in as much activity as possible. Lots of bike rides, hikes, even walking to work instead of riding to work (took longer but burns a few extra calories). Again, I'd suggest riding a bike - when overweight riding a bike is a bit easier to get into - plus it's fun.
    Last edited by jademonkey; 12-12-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    2022 -- Just maintaining and doing the van life
    April 2021.................16 week cut.................168 lbs
    2020......................375 / 285 / 505..............186 lbs
    Pre-COVID..............335 / 295 / 499..............185 lbs
    July 1, 2019................9 week cut.................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    5k every workout is fine. Slowly increase your speed to get it under 30 minutes. And run at the end of your workout.

YOu can run as much as you like, just be sore to eat and get some recovery time for your legs in.

VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) VigneshSP is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jademonkey View Post
    Too much for what?

5k in 40 minutes is very low fitness level, and is not at all excessive. I'd suggest increasing pace to at least sub 30 minutes rather than do it every day. Give yourself a couple days of NO exercise as recovery days, and push harder on days you do cardio. Personally I prefer cycling. I get to go outside and see sights and go much farther than I could on foot.

Edit, just saw your previous posts about losing weight. That's a good thing to mention in the OP, since many people do cardio for vastly different reasons - enjoyment, training, fitness, socializing, etc.

Cardio is great way to burn additional calories and make diet a bit easier, especially steady cardio that isn't carb-hungry. When I was losing weight I tried to get in as much activity as possible. Lots of bike rides, hikes, even walking to work instead of riding to work (took longer but burns a few extra calories). Again, I'd suggest riding a bike - when overweight riding a bike is a bit easier to get into - plus it's fun.
    I do not have a bi-cycle at the moment and I find the gym cycle machine to be boring. I would definitely try to bring the 5k under 30 mins.

Thanks man.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    YOu can run as much as you like, just be sore to eat and get some recovery time for your legs in.
    Really this "run as much as you like" gives some freedom on food