Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Can you help me understand the percentages in my digital scale?

I've lost about 4kg in the 10 days since I started with my diet and exercise. Now that I'm checking to see the difference with day 0, I realized I never understood some things about the extra info that my scale estimates.

Please see the images attached and confirm or correct the following notions:

1) Obviously, 104.2 kg is my bodyweight.
    2) The 3384 must be the calories I'd need to eat to sustain said weight. This number is labeled "kcal", not cal. So is 3384 for 104kg kilocalories or calories?
    3) The torso icon must be muscle, and it's a percentage so it must be the percentage of bodyweight that's muscle, right?
    4) The bone icon is bone density (I remember the name from the manual), but is the percent based on the bodyweight, or is 100% perfectly dense bones?
    5) The 5 beads must be fat percentage, again I assume it's based on bodyweight.
    6) The flowy lines must be water percentage of the bodyweight.

More than anything I'm curious what the bone density percentage is based on. Or is it just the bone mass percentage of my weight?

Also, no combination of these numbers add up to 100%, can you explain?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Xavaneptus; 12-11-2019 at 06:54 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It's very simple.

No BIA device can accurately measure body composition, don't even try using it. It's not even good to track progress for a single individual. The reading you get will vary day by day, especially in response to changes in hydration.

Just measure your weight and use a tapemeasure around your waist. Forget trying to get an accurate BF% - it's not even necessary to get results to know that number.

Also, that calorie level you cited is probably a gross over estimation unless you are very physically active during that day.

Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xavaneptus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It's very simple.

No BIA device can accurately measure body composition, don't even try using it. It's not even good to track progress for a single individual. The reading you get will vary day by day, especially in response to changes in hydration.

Just measure your weight and use a tapemeasure around your waist. Forget trying to get an accurate BF% - it's not even necessary to get results to know that number.

Also, that calorie level you cited is probably a gross over estimation unless you are very physically active during that day.
    I get it's inaccurate, but I really want to understand the numbers anyway. It's the best measurements I can take for now.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Xavaneptus View Post
    It's the best measurements I can take for now.
    No, it's NOT. It is very inaccurate and can change within 30 minutes.

Read this: https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls...impedance-bia/

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You could post the actual numbers. They should add up to 100% but it could be that (for example) the muscle mass is included in lean body mass.
    You'd have to read the manual otherwise...

You could post the actual numbers. They should add up to 100% but it could be that (for example) the muscle mass is included in lean body mass.
    You'd have to read the manual otherwise...
    Numbers are in the attached photos.

35.6% muscle icon
    13.0% bone icon
    32.4% beads icon (probably fat)
    46.4% flowy lines icon (water?)

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    No, it's NOT. It is very inaccurate and can change within 30 minutes.
    Is there a more accurate alternative that I can do at home for no extra money?

You're right, I can't see how to resolve those either as percentages or mass. Unless you mistyped your weight - and it should have been 114kg?

Measuring bodycomposition accurately is very hard even with expensive lab equipment and like I said before - it's kind of a waste of time, you don't need this information to make progress. It doesn't dictate how you train or structure your diet.

You're right, I can't see how to resolve those either as percentages or mass. Unless you mistyped your weight - and it should have been 114kg?

Measuring bodycomposition accurately is very hard even with expensive lab equipment and like I said before - it's kind of a waste of time, you don't need this information to make progress. It doesn't dictate how you train or structure your diet.
    104.2 kg is what the scale says. I just wanted another measure of progress on top of weight and subjective perceptions.

Every morning after peeing, lie on your back and measure your waist around your navel, remain as relaxed as possible.

This is as good a proxy for bodyfat levels as you will get. Yes, abdominal muscles can hypertrophy but I've never seen a natural lifter with good ab definition and a waist of more than 32 inches.

Weight + waist size + general strength levels = body composition.

Every morning after peeing, lie on your back and measure your waist around your navel, remain as relaxed as possible.

This is as good a proxy for bodyfat levels as you will get. Yes, abdominal muscles can hypertrophy but I've never seen a natural lifter with good ab definition and a waist of more than 32 inches.

Weight + waist size + general strength levels = body composition.
    I hadn't considered that, thank you. You mean measuring the circumference with a measuring tape, right?

Yep

C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000)
    To drive this home my body fat percentage on one of the better BF measuring scales moves 5% between wake up and sleep in a single day all from hydration. Seriously 17% to 12% is totally normal for me.

Anyway, it can help me see a trend over the long term if I measure it at the same time to normalize for hydration. Realize this is one of the better scales and it still radically sucks. Worst scales that same process has flatlined or gone up as I've dropped inches from my waist. Hence...don't bother.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    To drive this home my body fat percentage on one of the better BF measuring scales moves 5% between wake up and sleep in a single day all from hydration. Seriously 17% to 12% is totally normal for me.

Anyway, it can help me see a trend over the long term if I measure it at the same time to normalize for hydration. Realize this is one of the better scales and it still radically sucks. Worst scales that same process has flatlined or gone up as I've dropped inches from my waist. Hence...don't bother.
    I guess I'll just measure my weight and waist. Thanks.