jaymjohnson15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Introduction - Need Help

Hey everyone,

I've never posted before but have lurked off and on for awhile. I'm finally posting because I'm becoming extremely frustrated with my lack of progress in the gym. I'm 27 (not 49 lmao) and have been lifting somewhat regularly for about 4 years with around 2 of those years being very serious. I've been hitting the gym 4-5 days a week for the better part of 2-3 years but I feel that I don't look like that or lift like that.

I'm 5'10" and weigh 187 pounds. I'm currently cutting because my body fat percentage got too high during my bulk. It was at about 22% at its highest. I bulked for a good chunk of this year, eating 2700-2900 calories and got from 175 to 194. But as always seems to happen, I didn't put on much muscle during my bulk and had to begin cutting because my body fat was too high.

I consider myself to be in good shape but am nowhere near where I want to be. I do have some muscle mass and can lift much more than I did when I started (Bench has gone up over 130 pounds since I began). But when I cut I'm not all that defined and when I bulk I seem to only put on lower stomach fat and not muscle. Sorry don't have pics right now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_LIFTS_

I don't have 1RMs currently, but I was doing a program that was lower reps/higher weight on compounds. Here's what I have:

Bench - 235 - Sets of 8,8,6
    Squats - 215 - Sets of 8,7,6
    Deadlift 255 - Sets of 6,6,6
    Barbell Rows 195 - Sets of 8,7,6

I know my lower body lifts need work (see: squats). I had a back injury that hurt my progress for a bit, but I'm currently on a Upper/Lower split to hit legs twice a week. My workouts focus on 3 compound lifts of 3 sets with 10-12 reps and isolations with 3 sets of 12-15 reps. I also do weighted 3 ab exercises twice a week with 3 sets of 10-15 reps.

Over the last several months I have begun keeping a journal and focusing on increasing reps/weight with each workout. It is rare that I don't increase at least a rep from week to week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_NUTRITION_

As far as nutrition goes, I'm very good about the 80/20 (maybe even 90/10) rule. I cook almost all of my meals and consider myself a very healthy eater. I include lean proteins (chicken, lean steak, ground beef/turkey, salmon, tofu, black beans), whole grains and complex carbs (brown/white rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, oatmeal), healthy fats (peanut butter, avocado, almonds, olive oil) and a good deal of fruits and vegetables. I eat out 1-2 times a week, but try to eat relatively healthy when I do. I eat very few sweets. I do drink alcohol, but maybe 4-5 times a month and usually not to excess (hangovers at 27 are not what they were at 22).

I count calories and macros and they are almost always within the range for what I am aiming for at a given time.

So that's what I've got. I hope I can get some helpful advice because I am getting really discouraged. I feel that I'm putting in the work and busting my ass in the gym and kitchen as hard as anyone else, but don't see the results.

TL;DR: I have been lifting seriously for ~3 years and am not seeing the progress I think I should be. I put on fat when I bulk and am not defined when I cut. Nutrition is solid and workout program is (to my knowledge) solid. wtf is happening
    Last edited by jaymjohnson15; 12-10-2019 at 06:01 PM.