abel246 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Building Muscle with LOW Metabolism?

I’m a 24 years old male who recently started lifting for the first time in his life.

I’m 6’3 ft tall and I currently weight 210lbs (20% body fat)

I’m trying to build muscle mass and get down to 10-13%

Since last year I’ve been eating about 1200-1800 calories everyday to lose weight (I lost 30 pounds) and I was barely active but as you can see I reduced my calories a lot. According to a calculator, my daily caloric needs should be 3100 calories.

How much calories do I need if I want to Lean Bulk considering i’ve been taking 1200-1800 calories/day for a year?

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You only lost 30 lbs in a year eating 1200-1800 calories a day? Not buying it, you're not tracking your calories well.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    You only lost 30 lbs in a year eating 1200-1800 calories a day? Not buying it, you're not tracking your calories well.

This. That would be half a pound a week. Not good progress.

If you were eating 1200 calories a day at 6’3” 240# you would have been losing way more.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by abel246 View Post
    How much calories do I need if I want to Lean Bulk considering i’ve been taking 1200-1800 calories/day for a year?
    Take what you eat now (this will work regardless of whether there were counting errors or not) and add 500 calories. See how you get on with that.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wouldn't lean bulk at 6'3" and 210 lbs at 20%.

Just for point of reference I'm 6'5" and on my first cut a few years ago I had to cut down to 190 to reach 15%. I wouldn't start a lean bulk on anything over 15% bodyfat.

Post a photo for the best advice, but just based on stats alone I'd say you probably need to lose another 20+ lbs before ever considering a bulk. If you're not lifting weights you should start now.

And you don't have a "low metabolism", what people generally mean when they say things like that is that they perceive that its somehow easier for them to put on fat, but in reality it just means their daily activity level is low, which is an entirely fixable thing.
    Last edited by xsquid99; 12-10-2019 at 02:28 PM.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Just for point of reference I'm 6'5" and on my first cut a few years ago I had to cut down to 190 to reach 15%. I wouldn't start a lean bulk on anything over 15% bodyfat.

Post a photo for the best advice, but just based on stats alone I'd say you probably need to lose another 20+ lbs before ever considering a bulk. If you're not lifting weights you should start now.

And you don't have a "low metabolism", what people generally mean when they say things like that is that they perceive that its somehow easier for them to put on fat, but in reality it just means their daily activity level is low, which is an entirely fixable thing.
    imgur(dot)com/l1NUI5m
    imgur(dot)com/hDE5GMy

change the (dots)

Im using the scale from vitagoods that shows the body fat percentage, not sure how accurate it is tho. As you can see, I don't have a lot of muscle mass, I carry most of the fats on my face, belly and hips.

imgur(dot)com/l1NUI5m
    imgur(dot)com/hDE5GMy

change the (dots)

Im using the scale from vitagoods that shows the body fat percentage, not sure how accurate it is tho. As you can see, I don't have a lot of muscle mass, I carry most of the fats on my face, belly and hips.
    I definitely wouldn't bulk yet, eat a little below maintenance and get on a good lifting program and start moving some weight. You have zero muscle, and you're not 20% bodyfat, likely much higher than that.

I definitely wouldn't bulk yet, eat a little below maintenance and get on a good lifting program and start moving some weight. You have zero muscle, and you're not 20% bodyfat, likely much higher than that.
    Would a body recomposition work in my case? (Building muscle while in a slight deficit) ?

Would a body recomposition work in my case? (Building muscle while in a slight deficit) ?
    Yep, you're in the right state for a recomp as a new lifter with fairly high bodyfat. Go to the workout program forum and pick a beginner routine (Fierce 5, All Pro, etc). Make sure you're getting at least 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight daily, but still keep yourself in a small deficit so that you're losing maybe a pound a week or so.

willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Body re-comp will work if you are relatively new at lifting weights. Whatever you decide to eat, weight lifting should be part of the equation. Lift weights and eat less- lose fat, lift weights and eat more- add muscle. Good job on your weight loss so far, that is the hard part as far as Im concerned (mostly because I like lifting weights and eating).
    ".......have you paid your dues Jack?"
    "Yes Sir, the check is in the mail."

Sophiemckinney is not very well liked. (-100) Sophiemckinney is not very well liked. (-100) Sophiemckinney is not very well liked. (-100) Sophiemckinney is not very well liked. (-100) Sophiemckinney is not very well liked. (-100) Sophiemckinney is not very well liked. (-100) Sophiemckinney is not very well liked. (-100) Sophiemckinney is not very well liked. (-100) Sophiemckinney is not very well liked. (-100) Sophiemckinney is not very well liked. (-100) Sophiemckinney is not very well liked. (-100)

I’m a 24 years old male who recently started lifting for the first time in his life.

I’m 6’3 ft tall and I currently weight 210lbs (20% body fat)

I’m trying to build muscle mass and get down to 10-13%

Since last year I’ve been eating about 1200-1800 calories everyday to lose weight (I lost 30 pounds) and I was barely active but as you can see I reduced my calories a lot. According to a calculator, my daily caloric needs should be 3100 calories.

Check what you eat. Eat more vegetables, fewer fruits, avoid eating dairy and fat products, candies. Drink more water

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Sophiemckinney View Post
    Check what you eat. Eat more vegetables, fewer fruits, avoid eating dairy and fat products, candies. Drink more water
    As your previous post why would cutting fruit and dairy cause any difference?

Seeing as in your previous post you stated you consumed protein powder which contains whey:-

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=177821951

Shall I let you into a secret, Whey is made from milk which is dairy surprisingly....... Your following very bad advice.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Sophiemckinney View Post
    You've already said this - and the parts about fruit is poor advice IMO. Small amounts of simple carbs are not the enemy, fruit is not going to hurt a diet.

There is nothing wrong with dairy - and you need a certain amount of fat everyday for health.