peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

squat and deadlift form check (beginner) - try 2.

I previously recorded myself and got feedback here. My form was very bad (I'm just a beginner).

I was told to watch these 2 videos and also not to wear running shoes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo - For squat advice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc - Deadlift advice

I have tried to watch these videos but there is a lot to pay attention to. For the deadlift, I'm trying to keep my back straighter but I'm not sure if it's straight enough. This time I am keeping my heel to the ground.

Here is my second try (deadlift and squat):

https://imgur.com/a/89shU92

(You can see me struggle in the beginning trying to practice keeping my back straight.)

Is this good enough form? If not, can you give me some more pointers? I realize that I might be doing something wrong still, or didn't pay enough attention to something in the videos. Thanks for any feedback.

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your lower back still looks rounded in the deadlift.

In the squat the first couple of reps your feet are all over the place and you start your descent too quickly; take a couple of steps back, set your feet, make sure you have good balance, then take a big breath and descend. After the first couple of reps it looks like your knees are driving inwards a lot; make sure to externally rotate the hips a bit while squatting and spread the floor with your feet to help keep your knees tracking in front of the toes. A bit of knee valgus (inward motion) is expected to some degree with heavier weights but that shouldn't be an issue with lighter weights and it looks the the weight is being centered more on the inside part of the foot instead of the middle of the foot.

BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It looks like you can't reach down and touch the bar with straight legs, your hamstrings are too tight. I don't think you have the flexibility to do a deadlift and keep your back straight.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're just yanking the deadlift really, not tightening your upper back and taking the weight out of the bar before you pull.
    It's also slightly in front of the mid line making it somewhat stiff legged

Contrary to popular myth their is nothing inherently more injurious about pulling rounded
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Contrary to popular myth their is nothing inherently more injurious about pulling rounded
    You think that applies to lower back? I agree with upper. Haven't seen any arguments for that regarding lower.

peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterm28 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    Your lower back still looks rounded in the deadlift.

In the squat the first couple of reps your feet are all over the place and you start your descent too quickly; take a couple of steps back, set your feet, make sure you have good balance, then take a big breath and descend. After the first couple of reps it looks like your knees are driving inwards a lot; make sure to externally rotate the hips a bit while squatting and spread the floor with your feet to help keep your knees tracking in front of the toes. A bit of knee valgus (inward motion) is expected to some degree with heavier weights but that shouldn't be an issue with lighter weights and it looks the the weight is being centered more on the inside part of the foot instead of the middle of the foot.
    Thanks for this feedback, Heisman2. I read it and I noted all of this and will review and incorporate it next time.

Originally Posted by BromanianDL View Post
    It looks like you can't reach down and touch the bar with straight legs, your hamstrings are too tight. I don't think you have the flexibility to do a deadlift and keep your back straight.
    Yes this is correct. Is it all right if I bend my knees in order to reach the bar, then? The other alternative (if I am correctly interpreting the tutorial video I linked) is to put a plate under my heels to raise them slightly, and do the deadlift in that position.

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    You're just yanking the deadlift really, not tightening your upper back and taking the weight out of the bar before you pull.
    It's also slightly in front of the mid line making it somewhat stiff legged
    All right, will incorporate these cues. Thank you.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You think that applies to lower back? I agree with upper. Haven't seen any arguments for that regarding lower.
    Yes, despite the popularity of exaggerating dangers to the lower back in both mass media and general lifting group crowds.. There's little convincing evidence to suggest pulling with a rounded lumbar alone increases risk of injury, other than Mcgills stuff.

Would I recommend people try to get it neutral, for sure. But I wouldn't scream "you're going to break your back" because of a few degrees of flexion.

You might appreciate this discussion on technique and Injury https://forum.barbellmedicine.com/fo...risk-of-injury
    Last edited by WolfRose7; 12-09-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    2018 Log

Interesting take, somewhat mirrored here: https://fitnesspainfree.com/is-it-ba...ng-a-deadlift/ and here:

It is curious that some people get away with rounding for a very long time while others get injured more regularly. Perhaps that comes back to if you've been rounding forever then you'll adapt to it better while if you typically don't and then go too heavy for your normal form the new stress is much more problematic.

It is curious that some people get away with rounding for a very long time while others get injured more regularly. Perhaps that comes back to if you've been rounding forever then you'll adapt to it better while if you typically don't and then go too heavy for your normal form the new stress is much more problematic.
    Think that last sums up most lifting related injuries, more load than you are adapted too, especially on a movement pattern you aren't adapted too.
    2018 Log