Matsushiken is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Reversing metabolic damage

Hi I'm new to the bodybuilding community and this past year I took two pretty aggressive cuts and unlike the last cycle my metabolism has slowed down significantly. I've been reverse dieting for some time and weighing myself once at the end of the week. For the past two weeks I have been eating 2300 calories (241g carbs, 74g fat, and 179g protein) and prior to this two week period I weighed in at 194.2 pounds. After the first week I gained 1.6 pounds to 195.8 pounds. After the second week I continued to gain 1.8 pounds to 197.6 pounds. At this point I am lost and not sure if I should keep eating this same amount or add in more to try and repair my metabolism.
    Some other information is that I intermittent fast eating one large meal at the end of the day and I lift weights six days out of the week.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Matsushiken View Post
    Hi I'm new to the bodybuilding community and this past year I took two pretty aggressive cuts and unlike the last cycle my metabolism has slowed down significantly. I've been reverse dieting for some time and weighing myself once at the end of the week. For the past two weeks I have been eating 2300 calories (241g carbs, 74g fat, and 179g protein) and prior to this two week period I weighed in at 194.2 pounds. After the first week I gained 1.6 pounds to 195.8 pounds. After the second week I continued to gain 1.8 pounds to 197.6 pounds. At this point I am lost and not sure if I should keep eating this same amount or add in more to try and repair my metabolism.
    Some other information is that I intermittent fast eating one large meal at the end of the day and I lift weights six days out of the week.
    You didn't 'break' your metabolism.

You likely depleted so much in terms of food volume, water, and glycogen that you're just recouping lost resources.

Things will level out.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post

You likely depleted so much in terms of food volume, water, and glycogen that you're just recouping lost resources.

Things will level out.
    Do you recommend that I keep eating the same amount or upping my intake to get my metabolism back to a healthier level?

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do you recommend that I keep eating the same amount or upping my intake to get my metabolism back to a healthier level?
    If you're gaining weight, then you're moving in the right direction already... I personally wouldn't see a need to change anything unless you're feeling overly food focused or if you're having negative symptoms. But if you stop gaining, then yes.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    As a beginning bodybuilder at 195 pounds you should probably be cutting.

How tall are you? Can you upload a picture to your body space or imgur?

Metabolic damage is a misnomer. It's completely normal for your metabolism to adapt to varying energy intake. It's not damaged.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    As a beginning bodybuilder at 195 pounds you should probably be cutting.

How tall are you? Can you upload a picture to your body space or imgur?

Metabolic damage is a misnomer. It's completely normal for your metabolism to adapt to varying energy intake. It's not damaged.
    I'm not necessarily beginning, I've been lifting weights for the past six years consistently. I am trying to improve my physique. I'm 6'1" and I'm somewhere around 19% bodyfat from the scale I've been using to track my progress. I just finished an aggressive cut that had me in a over 40% deficit.

I'm not necessarily beginning, I've been lifting weights for the past six years consistently. I am trying to improve my physique. I'm 6'1" and I'm somewhere around 19% bodyfat from the scale I've been using to track my progress. I just finished an aggressive cut that had me in a over 40% deficit.
    Why did you do that? A 40% deficit is way, way more than you should shoot for....

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    At 19% body fat you should be cutting, not bulking. But one more time: we need to see a picture.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Things will level out.
    ^^^^ This.

Do you really think its so easy for a human to damage their metabolism, especially when you're still carrying such a hefty amount of fat at 19%?

Post a photo, but you should probably still be cutting.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Is there any certain way I should be taking these photos?

I followed some bad advice and now that I’m not in that intense cut does it make sense to go right back into another cut or do I need to let my body recover? Also what is a good amount to be in a deficit?

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I followed some bad advice and now that I’m not in that intense cut does it make sense to go right back into another cut or do I need to let my body recover? Also what is a good amount to be in a deficit?
    Unless obese there’s no real reason to go higher than 20% for your deficit.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

1 photo, shirtless, front, relaxed.

My post count isn't high enough to post links on here

My post count isn't high enough to post links on here
    Upload to your profile then

Upload to your profile then
    cool its in my gallery, thanks for showing me the ropes

After seeing your picture my advice stays the same: Cut. Try to lose about 1 to 1.5 pounds per week while getting stronger or at least maintaining your lifts.

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    After seeing your picture my advice stays the same: Cut. Try to lose about 1 to 1.5 pounds per week while getting stronger or at least maintaining your lifts.
    Where do you recommend that I start off my cut at? how much of a deficit? also something I've never known what to do is when I hit a plateau what should I do then?

Where do you recommend that I start off my cut at? how much of a deficit? also something I've never known what to do is when I hit a plateau what should I do then?
    You can start however quickly you want.... a deficit of 500 calories would mean losing 1lb of weight per week... just depends how quickly you need/want to do it.

If you hit a plateau, you either need to increase the deficit or increase exercise (cardio).

Start with 500. If you hit a plateau I suggest taking a diet break for a couple of days. If that doesn't work try lowering calories.