Fuzpud is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Help losing fat but gaining muscle mass

Hey, I'm a 25 year old guy weighing 290 lbs. Most of my weight gain was due to anxiety, something that runs in my family. I was terrified every time my heart rate got high and shied from physical activity. I've overcome this, however I don't quite know how to proceed. I'm likely sitting at a 40% BMI, maybe a little less, but not much. How can I maximize my fat loss, getting rid of this excess weight, while maximizing my muscle gains? I don't mind being a heavy guy, but being weighed down by something that can only be used in perilous times is frustrating. Both diet and workout tips are welcome. Thanks!

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your #1 goal needs to be fat loss. Eat sufficient protein (.8 g/lb) and lift weights on a good program (Fierce 5, Starting Strength, and All Pro's are three of many good programs) in order to minimize muscle loss. You might gain some muscle as a new and overweight lifter but that should just be considered a bonus if it happens, not a primary goal at this point.

Fuzpud is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    Your #1 goal needs to be fat loss. Eat sufficient protein (.8 g/lb) and lift weights on a good program (Fierce 5, Starting Strength, and All Pro's are three of many good programs) in order to minimize muscle loss. You might gain some muscle as a new and overweight lifter but that should just be considered a bonus if it happens, not a primary goal at this point.
    And what of calorie or macro intake aside from more protein?

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Fuzpud View Post
    And what of calorie or macro intake aside from more protein?
    1. Use a TDEE calculator to determine your estimated current maintenance calories.

2. Subtract 15-20% from your maintenance calories.

3. For 4 weeks, eat the number of calories you calculated in Step 2, getting .8g/lb of protein and .4g/lb of fat. Beyond those protein and fat numbers, your remaining calories can come from carbs or more fat/protein.

4. After four weeks, look at your results and adjust calories up/down as needed.