captainsbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just started deadlifting.Am i Weak?

Hi guys/gals,i have a decent body,with 176 pounds and my friend introduced me to deadlifts since i had back issues.I have great will power and used to do squats on an average weight but i just have been introduced to deadlifting and honestly i find it addictive.I used to go up on doing hyperextensions and it used to give me pain even when i kept my back neutral and after deadlifting about 66 pounds which is 10kg overall plates with the 20kg barbell ,i felt the pain in hyperextensions decreased alot.

Honesly since im new to deadlifting,when i do them i find after doing deadlifts i feel a little lightheaded after my final rep which ive never experienced with any exericse at the gym.I dont have any cardio issues.Also i started with just the barbell and proper form and after when i added the weights ,post exercise one week i saw my posture better but experienced doms on my upper back as if someone put knives in my upper back.

I dont even know my 1 rep max but my childhood gym friend ,we're both in our early 30s ,guides me since hes really into powerlifitng,said this saturday we will increase weights.

So basically i can do 66pounds(30kg) and maybe increase this saturday,but do you guys/gals think im weak?Shouldnt i easily be able to do my bodyweight?Also my focus has been form and nutrition mostly and how many times do you do them in a week?I want to be able to do atleast 160pounds(80kg)deadlift or is that even weak?

๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿชณ snailsrus's Avatar
    snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    30kg plates is where I started, 135lbs

Now 225ish, roughy 40kg of plates on a 20kg bar

But I am 70lbs /32 kg less than you
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    30kg plates is where I started, 135lbs

Now 225ish, roughy 40kg of plates on a 20kg bar

But I am 70lbs /32 kg less than you
    Got this from google,"Strength training and weightlifting experts, Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore, estimate that an average 198 pound male can lift 155 pounds even without training (i.e. untrained). After a couple of years of proper training, that same lifter should be able to deadlift 335 pounds (i.e. intermediate)."

youre strong,lets see saturday,il try increasing,thanks yeah,
    Since im 178,pounds and i did like 65 pounds,total 10 kg plates and 20kg barbell so i guess im relatively weak.
    Last edited by captainsbody; 12-05-2019 at 01:54 AM.

Originally Posted by Rabbitjb View Post
    Keep your focus on form and lifting cues and full range

And worry about progressing not where you are now as a noob
    Thats great advice coming from a pro probably,i have flat feet but im not going to let that restrict me,il be very vary of my form.I feel very confident from deadlifts for some reason,it gives me satisfaction,i dont know there is something about it.

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by captainsbody View Post
    Got this from google,"Strength training and weightlifting experts, Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore, estimate that an average 198 pound male can lift 155 pounds even without training (i.e. untrained). After a couple of years of proper training, that same lifter should be able to deadlift 335 pounds (i.e. intermediate)."

youre strong,lets see saturday,il try increasing,thanks yeah,
    Since im 178,pounds and i did like 65 pounds,total 10 kg plates and 20kg barbell so i guess im relatively weak.
    Focus on learning good form first

That was my mistake and I hurt my back and plateaued for a couple years at 185lb dead lift.

Then again I am a 100 pound female
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    echoing everybodyโ€™s suggestion to nail down form, and if it scares you, I pulled way too much and pulled like shyt with a rounded back and etc. 3 years ago and now I have to manage lower back pain daily... as well as ungodly tight hamstrings which doctors/PTs confirm is definitely related and all the product of tissue degeneration or something. Iโ€™ve had to cycle deadlifts in and out to manage injury, which isnโ€™t a huge deal because there are still useful and safer variations, but it also fux with my squat something fierce. Iโ€™ve had to just stay out of the gym completely a few times.

Research the shyt out of form and donโ€™t lift so much that you canโ€™t set the weight down without dropping it. Your deadlift on video should look the same on a regular run and rewind (unless yr pulling for max strength but I have no advice for that)

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There's a lot of nocebo scaremongering in this thread already.

Deadlifts are not inherently more dangerous than other exercises, neither is spinal flexion during the deadlift.

Encouraging proper form (though proper form is often vague and debatable) is all well and good, but using personal and often times misconstrued injury stories creates a harmful narrative and is unlikely to help a beginner in the slightest.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000)
    Most people who don't have a background in sports/athletics, aren't particular genetically gifted or weren't working a lot of manual labor when they were younger is probably going to start off weak.

But that doesn't matter, because the novice phase passes very quickly. Almost any male within 6 months of quality can training can probably deadlift 225 lbs.

Don't worry about it, ensure proper form. It doesn't have to be 100% perfect but move up in weight when the reps are becoming "fast" and "light" i.e: you did a set of 5 but could probably do 10 reps if you went full effort.

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    There's a lot of nocebo scaremongering in this thread already.

Deadlifts are not inherently more dangerous than other exercises, neither is spinal flexion during the deadlift.

Encouraging proper form (though proper form is often vague and debatable) is all well and good, but using personal and often times misconstrued injury stories creates a harmful narrative and is unlikely to help a beginner in the slightest.
    Meh I guess I wish Iโ€™d have had the risk drilled into my head 3 years ago instead of been left alone to follow a bad personal trainerโ€™s vague outline of pulling form. No part of me would have been scared enough to avoid the lift altogether, but things might be significantly different/less painful day-to-day for me now.

It is an incredible, beautiful exercise when executed correctly.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you can only deadlift 66 pounds as an adult male you sure as **** shouldnt help anybody move apartments.

I tend think its in your head, middle school girls DL more.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    If you can only deadlift 66 pounds as an adult male you sure as **** shouldnt help anybody move apartments.

I tend think its in your head, middle school girls DL more.
    I thought he meant like 2 35 lb plates and the bar
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just focus on form and it'll come. Yes, compared to someone who trains deadlifts regularly, you have a weak deadlift--that's why you train there's not really a weight that you "should be able" to do, just focus on progressing
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

Ok so my one rep max is 176 pounds which is 80kg ,checked this saturday,this includes the bar.It was tough,but i did it,i was all wobbly while doint it,like the bar was a bit unbalanced but i kept my back straight and my friend guiding me said 'youre stronger than you think'(i said thankyou Morpheus) and lets check your 1 rep max,,he watched my form from the side as i didnt want to injure myself.To be honest i was a bit intimidated.After that we used the formula of 60%* one rep max, and whhich was coming like 145 pounds,and i did about 20 reps to failure and than took a break and did 15 reps failure.Its been 12 hours havent felt the doms kick in.

My questions is will this built up my low back endurance and strength better than ever.Btw this is the first time in my life ive lifted this way.