kbaes14 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Red face Teen Mindset

I've had this problem in most of my compound lifts but is a HUGE problem in my deadlifts... Idk if it is anxiety or insecurities but I feel like each time I go on the deadlift platform I have this feeling in the back of my head that I have already failed a rep even before touching the bar. To add onto that, I can't really rid myself of the mindset that if I fail the rep, people around me would think bad about me if they are watching. This is basically what has been holding me back from going up in weight.

I try to go up in weight... there are days where I feel super good and I just breeze through sets and go up pretty easily... then more of my days are of me trying to go up in weight that I have already done and in the middle of my lift my anxiety would start to settle in and I would start thinking, "What if I fail, they're watching me," my legs start shaking and start to give out cuz I was raising the bar so slowly. It's just that I think so much in the middle of reps instead of getting focused in on the set. It's probably just a matter of personal development but I just wanna know if there are other people who have dealt with something similar and how they dealt with it.

Any tips on how to deal with this?
    Last edited by kbaes14; 12-04-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by kbaes14 View Post
    I've had this problem in most of my compound lifts but is a HUGE problem in my deadlifts... Idk if it is anxiety or insecurities but I feel like each time I go on the deadlift platform I have this feeling in the back of my head that I have already failed a rep even before touching the bar. To add onto that, I can't really rid myself of the mindset that if I fail the rep, people around me would think bad about me if they are watching. This is basically what has been holding me back from going up in weight.

I try to go up in weight... there are days where I feel super good and I just breeze through sets and go up pretty easily... then more of my days are of me trying to go up in weight that I have already done and in the middle of my lift my anxiety would start to settle in and I would start thinking, "What if I fail, they're watching me," my legs start shaking and start to give out cuz I was raising the bar so slowly. It's just that I think so much in the middle of reps instead of getting focused in on the set. It's probably just a matter of personal development but I just wanna know if there are other people who have dealt with something similar and how they dealt with it.

Any tips on how to deal with this?
    First of all, hi! the mental battle is a huge thing when powerlifting. What helped for me on hugely increasing my lifts was to use mental imagery and positive self talk, Tell yourself again and again you can do it and don't attempt the lift until you have visualised picking up the weight. If its hard push through it. All about being positive! You've got it!