Leosandoval05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Judge A beginners Squat form

I'm 14 and have been lifting for about 6 months. I'd been a bit scared to do squats because I didnt want to mess up my back and a questioned my form since my back normally hurt the next day. I think it's gotten a little better but could be greatly improved.

Here's a video of my form. Hopefully people can judge it and help my improve (sorry its through YouTube I didnt know if there was another way.)
    youtu.be/7jMaxTYX7Ms

I am aware it's far from perfect.
    Am I going to low? A my knees bending too much/far?
    Is my back ok?

P.S had to use a jacket on my back for cushion.
    Last edited by Leosandoval05; 12-03-2019 at 06:16 PM.

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Leosandoval05 View Post
    I'm 14 and have been lifting for about 6 months. I'd been a bit scared to do squats because I didnt want to mess up my back and a questioned my form since my back normally hurt the next day. I think it's gotten a little better but could be greatly improved.

Here's a video of my form. Hopefully people can judge it and help my improve (sorry its through YouTube I didnt know if there was another way.)
    youtu.be/7jMaxTYX7Ms

I am aware it's far from perfect.
    Am I going to low? A my knees bending too much/far?
    Is my back ok?

P.S had to use a jacket on my back for cushion.

Slow it down a bit and gain more control

Keep your head up, you move it up and down somewhat throughout

Maintain a neutral spine throughout as well

Depth is fine

There could be other compensations that the one angle video does not shows

But overall good to see squatting at your age

So basically:

Slow it down----->Gain more control
    Keep head up and fixed
    Maintain a neutral spine
    Lower your weight if thats what it takes to perfect your form
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

Leosandoval05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by boo99 View Post
    Slow it down a bit and gain more control

Keep your head up, you move it up and down somewhat throughout

Maintain a neutral spine throughout as well

Depth is fine

There could be other compensations that the one angle video does not shows

But overall good to see squatting at your age

So basically:

Slow it down----->Gain more control
    Keep head up and fixed
    Maintain a neutral spine
    Lower your weight if thats what it takes to perfect your form
    Thanks. I hear alot about making sure you dont round your back but not enough about making sure it doesn't hyperextend and how to prevent that. I'll see if i get that same back pain tommorow but i think know my form will slowly improve. So my knees dont go too far past my feet?

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    So my knees dont go too far past my feet?
    Knees going past your feet is not wrong. Depending on anatomy, feet width, bar placement, it might be necessary for it to happen.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks. I hear alot about making sure you dont round your back but not enough about making sure it doesn't hyperextend and how to prevent that. I'll see if i get that same back pain tommorow but i think know my form will slowly improve. So my knees dont go too far past my feet?

First off, these are pretty damn decent for a brand new lifter, most I've seen are much worse for months or more.

However that doesn't mean we cant still work on some stuff, though you posting here suggest you are more than willing to do so.

The trick to not rounding or hyperextending is maintaining a tight neutral torso, a neutral head position helps with this, what helps most is learning how to breath and brace correctly (the valsalva maneuver) juggernaut series I believe titled pillars of squatting have an excellent video on this among other things. I'll edit in when not on mobile.

Knees Past toes can be fine and isn't a strict rule, however too much knee slide forward can lead to less optimal positioning out of the bottom of the squat. Setting your knees out, or opening your thighs/taint/groin tends to work better as a Q for people than pushing knees forward.

Along with this, a slight unlocking of the hips and allowing the natural forward lean you are going to get with a back squat at the start of the squat can be very useful for maintaining consistent bar path and solid positioning throughout the squat.

Better shoes would help immensely, anything with minimal squish, even socks are okay on some surfaces
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You need to consider stretching and/or foam rolling before and after you squat if you are feeling back pain in addition to keeping your spine neutral
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by boo99 View Post
    You need to consider stretching and/or foam rolling before and after you squat if you are feeling back pain in addition to keeping your spine neutral
    even though neither of those have any evidence for reducing injury or pain risk in any way?
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    First off, these are pretty damn decent for a brand new lifter, most I've seen are much worse for months or more.
    I wanted to make sure OP saw this specific comment.
    For 14yr old, only a couple months in, that is a clean squat.
    Keep at it!

I think your head position is just fine, except for the little up-nod you do at the top. I try to keep my chin locked with respect to my chest, and ignore 'visual cues'. Basically, my eyes are not focused on any object, they just follow where ever my head goes.
    Everyone finds their own grove though, and what you are doing doesn't seem to be causing issues.

Slowing down is good advice at this point. Experienced lifters can descend pretty fast, and get a 'bounce' out of the hole. You just aren't there yet, as evidenced by the bar path and some minimal twisting in your hips. This just takes more reps over time to learn the movement...
    For now, focus on keeping the bar directly over the mid-foot throughout the entire rep. The bar only goes up/down in line with the mid-foot, and shouldn't move at all in the forward/back direction.

I would lose the sweatshirt/pad. It just makes it harder when trying to learn how to squat correctly as it softens the contact with the body. Play around with bar placement on the back to find something more comfortable. Low bar is a great alternative, if your shoulders are up for it...

Your core looks pretty decent throughout the movement. But, the bracing could be more intense, for lack of a better word. youtube videos are a decent way to learn this, search 'squat core bracing', or something similar.

Don't take any of my comments as things that MUST be done. Every squat will look a little different, for every person. But you can play around with these things, and maybe find something that works better for you.
    Jason
    First USAPL meet Feb 17th, 2017. Results S/B/D - 350/303/419
    Building a garage gym...

My advice is from personal experience only, use at your own risk, lol