make7acs is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Losing fat while trying to gain muscle.

I'm 30, 6'4 and 230lbs. I think I'm what most people would call "skinnyfat". I've always worked desk jobs and have never been an overly active individual. I've never really maintained any level of diet/workout regiment throughout my entire life. I managed to get away with it quite a bit when I was younger, but I've noticed my gut starting to become much more noticeable and I feel much weaker than I did a few years ago.

So a couple weeks ago I became pretty committed to losing the extra weight, eating healthier, and putting on some muscle. Based on research, it seems like my daily calorie rate would be around 2800. I changed my diet dramatically, always opting for healthier choices and dropping my usual vices(chips, candy, soda, ice cream, etc..). I've been tracking my daily calories and am typically hovering around the 1700 mark. I've lost 4 lbs so far, but keep reading up that it's unlikely I'll get any stronger or grow any level of muscle mass on such a low calorie diet.

I tend to do 30 minutes of medium-level cardio a day and alternate between chest/arm exercises and leg/ab exercises. I haven't really felt much of a difference so far, but it's only been a couple weeks, so I didn't think much of it.

Am I wasting my time on the exercises? Should I focus on losing the weight first and then worry about lifting? Should I ignore the weight and focus on gaining muscle, assuming the weight will be easier to drop later? Or am I fine just sticking with the 1700 calories daily with light lifting/exercise? Does anyone have any advice on the best approach to take?

Endythegrea will become famous soon enough. (+50) Endythegrea will become famous soon enough. (+50) Endythegrea will become famous soon enough. (+50) Endythegrea will become famous soon enough. (+50) Endythegrea will become famous soon enough. (+50) Endythegrea will become famous soon enough. (+50) Endythegrea will become famous soon enough. (+50) Endythegrea will become famous soon enough. (+50) Endythegrea will become famous soon enough. (+50) Endythegrea will become famous soon enough. (+50) Endythegrea will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by make7acs View Post
    I'm 30, 6'4 and 230lbs. I think I'm what most people would call "skinnyfat". I've always worked desk jobs and have never been an overly active individual. I've never really maintained any level of diet/workout regiment throughout my entire life. I managed to get away with it quite a bit when I was younger, but I've noticed my gut starting to become much more noticeable and I feel much weaker than I did a few years ago.

So a couple weeks ago I became pretty committed to losing the extra weight, eating healthier, and putting on some muscle. Based on research, it seems like my daily calorie rate would be around 2800. I changed my diet dramatically, always opting for healthier choices and dropping my usual vices(chips, candy, soda, ice cream, etc..). I've been tracking my daily calories and am typically hovering around the 1700 mark. I've lost 4 lbs so far, but keep reading up that it's unlikely I'll get any stronger or grow any level of muscle mass on such a low calorie diet.

I tend to do 30 minutes of medium-level cardio a day and alternate between chest/arm exercises and leg/ab exercises. I haven't really felt much of a difference so far, but it's only been a couple weeks, so I didn't think much of it.

Am I wasting my time on the exercises? Should I focus on losing the weight first and then worry about lifting? Should I ignore the weight and focus on gaining muscle, assuming the weight will be easier to drop later? Or am I fine just sticking with the 1700 calories daily with light lifting/exercise? Does anyone have any advice on the best approach to take?

My advice is to start reading articles and the sticky's on the forums on here and educate yourself on the benefits of weight lifting. If you are skinny fat, I think I would take the advice I've just been given and eat your maintenance to see if you can get stronger and build some muscle. I'd focus more on lifting and building muscle than doing cardio. The most important part of this is your nutrition though, it's really no joke. If that ain't right you won't get results.

As far as Cardio goes, I've always preferred high intensity or HIIT… sprints instead of distance. The reason being is look at a marathon running and then look at a sprinter... which one looks better?

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lift on a good program, get in enough protein and you'll maintain your muscle mass while losing fat provided you're in a weekly calorie deficit. Maintaining muscle sounds boring however while dieting down and no lifting you'll just look like a smaller version of yourself with muscle loss along with the fatloss, not a pretty picture.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough