Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Warming up with 110% working weight

A quick googling about warmups reveals a T Nation article outlining a ramping strategy: 50% working weight at 10% working reps, 60% at 80%, etc. with the final warmup set at 110% the work weight at 5-10% work reps. I’ve been warmjng up with this model for ages, and I’ve found that the final set serves as a way to “trick” my mind into expecting heavier weight on the bar for my initial working set, which... is kind of nice. But my joints aren’t doing too hot lately, and I’m wondering if this method is really worth the mental prep for extended periods of time? The execution isn’t difficult because it’s basically just unracking and half of the movement or less, but could I be wasting any amount of energy/strength this way? Is there a more efficient way to warm up/ramp up that aids in mental prep without loading the body quite as much? I’ve never seen this method used or talked about on this forum.

John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000)
    let me play devils advocate. How many successful bodybuilders have ever discussed doing this? (especially as a full time thing as opposed to on occasion)
    "Humility comes before honor"

supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    let me play devils advocate. How many successful bodybuilders have ever discussed doing this? (especially as a full time thing as opposed to on occasion)
    I've heard some do a rep or two @ 10% heavier than their work set weight and that it makes the working weight feel lighter. Anyways, successful bodybuilders do quite a lot that they don't admit to.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hmm... but successful bodybuilders might be working with a little extra assistance, so I tend to try not to reference them.

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Sounds like a strategy a strength oriented lifter would use.

I've tried it in the past - if I intend to do 3 or 5 rep sets, I work up to a heavy single with more than the work set weight. This may have some benefits in terms of producing high levels of nervous system output.

I don't think it's useful for hypertrophy related goals though. If you aren't used to heavy lifting, you can actually cause a temporary downregulation of rate coding due to using an unaccustomed heavy weight.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Like SP says it's a strength approach. A close relative of this (which is milder and gentler) is before you start a heavy working set for squats you shove some extra on the bar (outside the clips for speedy removal) unrack it and bounce up and down doing some 1/8th squats then stand for a short while. Quickly rack the bar get the extra off and get back under it again ASAP to do working set. It will feel lighter!

IMHO it's no help for hypertrophy
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Diet restarted Monday Oct 28th@76.8, Dec 7th@73.4, target 69.x Kg.

12 pack > 6 pack PurmaBulker1984's Avatar
    PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Definitely more strength strategy. But helps to keep weight progressing on hypertrophy side. I'm doing a bastardized version of 531 like this on bench and squat. I warm up for bench like this, bar ×10, 135×5, 185×5, 225x5, 265x3, then I go for a single, double or triple near pr or actual pr. Then 1-2 back off sets. Each week I will vary the backoff set weight between 185 and 245 which are my 10-30 RMs. And I take those to failure. Squat is similar but more steps up and back off is less reps 6-12.

Then my second upper or lower day I do traditional hypertrophy lifting, where I never go above 85% 1rm or below 6 reps. Try to get stronger in the 8-12 rep range for 3-5 sets. Also I don't do bench or squat. I do a less stressful version. Low incline db and V squat. My warm up for those never goes above working weight.
    160 lbs and jacked is about as impressive as D cups on a 300lb woman

Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I don't do 110%, but I do a single with my working weight for the front squat & BB flat bench, after my normal warmup.

I find that it helps acclimatize, like I'm not ready to front rack that weight and I'm getting choked out if I start my working set straight away, and my first set will start with my head in the wrong place.
    ACE CPT

6'0
    Starting weight 304lbs
    Current weight 176lbs

dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    so basically a heavy single/set and back offs

sure it will work