Fizgriz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

GF wants to start lifting - Need advice.

My GF wants to start lifting. She is in week 2 of the plan i set out for her.
    I'm a intermediate lifter(2-3 years of lifting).

Her goal is the common "I want to look toned". Which for her means slimming some weight and building some mass to her overall frame right now.

My worry is a few things:
    1. Im setting goals as if she was a male(not trying to be sexist im sorry. Im just worried she will sculpt differently)
    2. Im overtraining her
    3. Im moving to fast

Here is the plan I have for her:

3 day full body:

Mon:
    Squat 3x8-12
    Bench 3X8-12
    BB row 3x8-12
    OH press 3x8-12
    On occassion: Lat pulldown 3-10-12

Wed:
    front Squat 3x8-12
    db incline Bench 3X8-12
    reverse grip BB row 3x8-12
    sitting OH press 3x8-12
    lunges 3-8

Friday
    Repeat monday

Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun - rest

I got her on 1450-1600 calories a day. 90g-100g of protien.

She is 5'6'' about 140lb. IDK her body fat%.

Thanks for all the help!

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Fizgriz View Post
    My GF wants to start lifting. She is in week 2 of the plan i set out for her.
    I'm a intermediate lifter(2-3 years of lifting).

Her goal is the common "I want to look toned". Which for her means slimming some weight and building some mass to her overall frame right now.

My worry is a few things:
    1. Im setting goals as if she was a male(not trying to be sexist im sorry. Im just worried she will sculpt differently)
    2. Im overtraining her
    3. Im moving to fast

Here is the plan I have for her:

3 day full body:

Mon:
    Squat 3x8-12
    Bench 3X8-12
    BB row 3x8-12
    OH press 3x8-12
    On occassion: Lat pulldown 3-10-12

Wed:
    front Squat 3x8-12
    db incline Bench 3X8-12
    reverse grip BB row 3x8-12
    sitting OH press 3x8-12
    lunges 3-8

Friday
    Repeat monday

Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun - rest

I got her on 1450-1600 calories a day. 90g-100g of protien.

She is 5'6'' about 140lb. IDK her body fat%.

Thanks for all the help!
    That should work just fine for her as long as she stays consistent. Men and women should train the same and there's no difference. At her stats if she's looking to trim down a bit/tighten things up keep her right around 1600 calories. She shouldn't have to go any lower than that to start.

Good luck to her!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looking toned for beginner is quite simple just the action of undertaking weight training. Most new lifters will benefit from just weight training and basically undertaking a body recomposition.

Therefore I would advise she eat at TDEE maintenance and see how she progress on the weight training program personally I see no need to start on a caloric deficit as it is possible she will build muscle and lose fat at least for a while just eat maintenance calories with more protein. Here is all you need to know about nutrition:-

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

As for your protein amount suggested I personally would advise 100 as a minimum and not below as studies suggest more muscle growth with at least 0.7g of protein per lbs of body weight.

For your questions:-

1) Nothing wrong with setting similar goals for male and females. Only difference that most programs I have seen and spent time observing is that females prefer to focus on lower body more so that may be a slighter priority that said you can't discourage the upper part.

2) No that is an individual thing but that said I don't see the need to focus solely on the 8-12 rep range you could utilise something similar to the Fierce 5 on major compound lifts as it is possible she may overreach herself on the major lifts leaving her limited ability to carry out the supporting lifts. Also start of light on the weights.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1266579371

What progression are you planning to implement for her?
    Also if you plan to run your program you are missing a hinge movement based exercise such RDL, kettlebell swing, good mornings etc, likewise workout 1 is not balanced as it is missing a second leg exercise personally for a female I would take out the OHP and put in hip thrust. Also add a set of calves and abs workout 1 and second workout put in face pulls and maybe one set of bicep/ tricep exercises so this:-

Mon:
    Squat 3x5-8
    Bench 3X5-8
    Hip thrust 3x8-10
    Pendlay row 3x8-12
    Lunges 3x8-12
    Calves/ Abs 3x10-12 (superset)

Wed:
    Front squat 3x5-8
    OHP 3x5-8
    RDL 3x8-10
    db incline Bench 3X8-12
    Lat pull down 3x8-12
    Facepulls/ bicep/tricep 2x10 (superset)

That would be how I would do it, most likely I would stick with weight linear progression until she stalls on 2 of her major lifts and then attempt a deload phase/ If not successful then I would increase calories by 100-200. If still no success then increase volume by one on each failed lift.

3. No not really as I don't know what progression you are using. if it is weight she should be fine for a bit if you start off light (even just the bar is fine).

For calories see the TDEE link in the nutrition link I have posted above. Monitor her weight the idea is to stay in the similar range of weight for at least the beginning phase. Once she can no longer progress weight wise and the deload is no longer working, aim to add around 1lb a month.
    Last edited by hardyboysare; 12-02-2019 at 04:30 PM.

HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Perhaps she should be the one asking questions?