vintage50plate is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Troy HO Series plates vs. Troy PO Series plates?

My general understanding is that these two series of plates are more or less identical, specs-wise — except for their respective colors (i.e., HO Series is hammertone gray, and PO Series is black). That being said, I've read at least a few past comments that have said that the hole on the PO series plates fits the bar a little more snugly than the HO Series. So, for anyone who has either owned or tried plates from both series: Is there any actual *functional* difference between the two (that is, besides the color difference)? I ask because I've narrowed down an upcoming plate purchase to either Troy's PO plates or their HO plates, and I personally happen to prefer to gray color of the HO plates... BUT, if the gray plates fit the bar less snugly than the black PO plates, I'd just as soon just go with the PO plates. (In other words, if there actually *is* a significant difference in the way that each series fits on the bar, I'd view something like that as definitely overriding a color preference.)

Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by vintage50plate View Post
    My general understanding is that these two series of plates are more or less identical, specs-wise — except for their respective colors (i.e., HO Series is hammertone gray, and PO Series is black). That being said, I've read at least a few past comments that have said that the hole on the PO series plates fits the bar a little more snugly than the HO Series. So, for anyone who has either owned or tried plates from both series: Is there any actual *functional* difference between the two (that is, besides the color difference)? I ask because I've narrowed down an upcoming plate purchase to either Troy's PO plates or their HO plates, and I personally happen to prefer to gray color of the HO plates... BUT, if the gray plates fit the bar less snugly than the black PO plates, I'd just as soon just go with the PO plates. (In other words, if there actually *is* a significant difference in the way that each series fits on the bar, I'd view something like that as definitely overriding a color preference.)
    I have 10's and 25's in both and the only difference was the paint seemed to chip off easier on the grays. Everything else is the same.

MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Leprechuan71 View Post
    I have 10's and 25's in both and the only difference was the paint seemed to chip off easier on the grays. Everything else is the same.
    My experience has been the exact same as well. I had about 1000lbs of Troy HO plates, nothing wrong with them, but the paint wasn't the best. The black ones that I've seen though were better as far as paint goes.

vintage50plate is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Leprechuan71 View Post
    Originally Posted by MGM711 View Post
    My experience has been the exact same as well. I had about 1000lbs of Troy HO plates, nothing wrong with them, but the paint wasn't the best. The black ones that I've seen though were better as far as paint goes.
    ^^^ Thanks, these comments are helpful. My main concern/query has been whether the actual fit of the plates on the bar varied between the two series. If it's just a matter of the paint on the gray ones being less than optimal, I guess I don't really mind that. Right now (and, actually, since around 2003), I've been using the same set of gray CAP Barbell Olympic plates, so I imagine that the Troy HO plates will be a step up from those. Seems like next step up after *that*, though, would be Ivanko OM Series plates... but from what I've seen, those would cost nearly another three hundred dollars over the Troy plates. The Troy plates would therefore seem to be closer to what I'm looking for, at least price-wise.

Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leprechuan71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^^^ Thanks, these comments are helpful. My main concern/query has been whether the actual fit of the plates on the bar varied between the two series. If it's just a matter of the paint on the gray ones being less than optimal, I guess I don't really mind that. Right now (and, actually, since around 2003), I've been using the same set of gray CAP Barbell Olympic plates, so I imagine that the Troy HO plates will be a step up from those. Seems like next step up after *that*, though, would be Ivanko OM Series plates... but from what I've seen, those would cost nearly another three hundred dollars over the Troy plates. The Troy plates would therefore seem to be closer to what I'm looking for, at least price-wise.
    Both the PO's and HO's are on sale at Adamant Barbell right now, 15% off and free shipping over $500. Works out around $1.64/lbs.

MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I found the Troy plates to be pretty accurate and had tight tolerances, similar to the Ivanko plates I own. The Troy plates are very good quality, didn't have any real issues with them outside of the paint.

radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have the 455 lb of the black plates and no issues with paint. Good snug fit on the bar. Haven't really weight them, aside from one 45 lb that was dead on. Deep dish makes them nice to handle. Really good plates in my experience. I'd buy again/more.

sera310 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sera310 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sera310 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sera310 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sera310 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sera310 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sera310 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sera310 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sera310 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sera310 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sera310 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MGM711 View Post
    I found the Troy plates to be pretty accurate and had tight tolerances, similar to the Ivanko plates I own. The Troy plates are very good quality, didn't have any real issues with them outside of the paint.

I have some gray Troy plates, 10s & change plates, and really like them. they are quite snug on the bar, almost as snug as the calibrated plates and WAAAY better than the CAP 1s I have, much less the even lower-end 1s I got off Craigslist. the weight tolerances are very close, within a couple of tenths of a pound on the 10-lb. 1s. haven't noticed any problems with the paint.