View Poll Results: Which powerblock would you prefer?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Powerblock elite (caged style)

3 50.00%
  • Powerblock exp (open cage style)

3 50.00%
    NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Which powerblock would you get now

If you had the chance to get a powerblock now assuming you didn’t have any which would you prefer?

A. Powerblock elite - with the normal cage style
    B. Powerblock exp with the open cage style

As far as I know exp is same as sport exp besides the color. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

My worry is if I will be limited on any exercises like pullovers or tricep extensions with the elite but I prefer that look since it looks more compact.
    Age 32
    BJJ : Purple belt (RGA)
    judo/wrestling: yellow
    Muay Thai: North jersey Muay thai

Ron Paul 2012

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NiR View Post
    If you had the chance to get a powerblock now assuming you didn’t have any which would you prefer?

As far as I know exp is same as sport exp besides the color. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

My worry is if I will be limited on any exercises like pullovers or tricep extensions with the elite but I prefer that look since it looks more compact.
    Might be worth a trek to Dicks Sporting Goods or Gym Source or similar store. They usually have these on display and you can get a feel for how they operate.

supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Apparently, the company has discontinued a lot of their models. There used to be Pro EXP's and Sport EXPs, which were not the same. They also seem to have changed their warranties. Glad I bought mine when I did!
    Anyways, I have and would buy again the Sport EXPs.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have the urethane U90, which are the caged style, but I don't think I could do pullovers or extensions even if it was uncaged. You just cant really get your hands supported enough without wrapping around a normal round/hexagonal dumbell. Maybe at lighter weight it would work but it'd be funky. I'd suggest planning around those movements.

NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rtpmarine View Post
    I have the urethane U90, which are the caged style, but I don't think I could do pullovers or extensions even if it was uncaged. You just cant really get your hands supported enough without wrapping around a normal round/hexagonal dumbell. Maybe at lighter weight it would work but it'd be funky. I'd suggest planning around those movements.
    can you do 1 hand version of those?
    Age 32

Ron Paul 2012

rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000)
    can you do 1 hand version of those?
    Overhead extensions -- no, because the rectangular shape makes them too bulky to get behind my head with stability. The urethane model exacerbates this issue because they are even thicker.

Pullovers - yeah, but the drop in weight really takes the load off of the chest. I've tried using both Powerblocks at the same time and just keeping them pushed together--it works okay but just not as effective as a standard hex dumbell.

When it comes to triceps, I find myself using the Powerblocks for skull crushers and CG presses the most.

Deadlift4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deadlift4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deadlift4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deadlift4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deadlift4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deadlift4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deadlift4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deadlift4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deadlift4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deadlift4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deadlift4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I wouldn’t get powerblocks. Their rectangular shape is unweildy and unbalanced in the hand. I found them especially annoying for things like curls.

I wish someone had told me that before I purchased my set. I could have saved myself several hundred dollars.

I would much rather have the ironmasters, even if they take a little longer to change the weight.

Overhead extensions -- no, because the rectangular shape makes them too bulky to get behind my head with stability. The urethane model exacerbates this issue because they are even thicker.

Pullovers - yeah, but the drop in weight really takes the load off of the chest. I've tried using both Powerblocks at the same time and just keeping them pushed together--it works okay but just not as effective as a standard hex dumbell.

When it comes to triceps, I find myself using the Powerblocks for skull crushers and CG presses the most.
    cant you just grip 1 hand on each side to do the pullovers ?
    Age 32

Ron Paul 2012

supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That's what I do if you mean holding the bottom tubes. I can go up to 70 lbs with the Sport EXPs. There's no room for the fingers any heavier.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Deadlift4 View Post
    I wouldn’t get powerblocks. Their rectangular shape is unweildy and unbalanced in the hand. I found them especially annoying for things like curls.

I wish someone had told me that before I purchased my set. I could have saved myself several hundred dollars.

I would much rather have the ironmasters, even if they take a little longer to change the weight.
    I don't have any complaints about balance w/ the Powerblocks, but they can get a bit unwieldy compared to a fixed hex DB.

I had Ironmasters as well in the past and while I really liked how similar they felt to a Pro Style DB, the time it took to change plates kind of defeated the entire purpose of a quick change DB. And I had the older style (Quick-Change). The newer Quick-Locks take even longer to change weights.

ripper238 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ripper238 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ripper238 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ripper238 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ripper238 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ripper238 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ripper238 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ripper238 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ripper238 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ripper238 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ripper238 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    Might be worth a trek to Dicks Sporting Goods or Gym Source or similar store. They usually have these on display and you can get a feel for how they operate.
    100%, i may prefer one over another but everyone is different. Glad there are stores where these can be tested out.

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    this reminds me of this. at 0:41

https://youtu.be/kIvNOYACRUY?t=41
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

Originally Posted by Mech6 View Post
    this reminds me of this. at 0:41

https://youtu.be/kIvNOYACRUY?t=41
    Love the stand!

ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Deadlift4 View Post

I have both Ironmasters and Powerblocks and the Ironmasters collect dust unless I decide to do pressing over 90lbs. They are such a pain to use while the Powerblocks make changing the wait so much easier. If I didn't hate the process of selling stuff I would have gotten rid of the Ironmasters a long time ago.

As for the OP, I have seen no reason to get anything other than the Powerblock Elite, not worth any extra expense for a different model IMO.

Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    That's what I do if you mean holding the bottom tubes. I can go up to 70 lbs with the Sport EXPs. There's no room for the fingers any heavier.
    Supramax is spot on. At lower weight it is possible but awkward. At normal weight it starts to get really unwieldy. At higher weight it's pretty much impossible to get any decent grip.

Supramax is spot on. At lower weight it is possible but awkward. At normal weight it starts to get really unwieldy. At higher weight it's pretty much impossible to get any decent grip.
    If you do pullovers correctly, 70 lbs is very decent. The exercise was born for slow eccentrics with isometric holds.