UKTone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Overtraining, what to know? How much rest do you need?

Goal: I'm trying to gain weight.

Ok so I hear some people (like the hodgetwins) workout twice a day 6 days a week with no cardio, but I don't know how much time they workout in total. I would guess they alternate upper and lower days.

Some people do full body workouts twice a day, but they may only work out 3-5 days probably, or maybe still 6.

What is the most optimum? How much time should you workout? Should you workout to failure? Should you workout twice? How long should each workout session be?

How do you know when you're doing too much?
    Should you just do trial and error to see what's best for you or is there a science to it?
    If you are eating a lot of calories, is overtraining not much of a factor as long as you rest one day?

Do you need to stretch for strength training?
    Do you need to do cardio when you're trying to gain (have no health issues, if this matters)?

Any other helpful advice please share.

TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    From what I know athletes training multiple times a day may overtrain - pretty hard for newbies and intermediates to get to overtraining.

If you overstrain, you will know - probably get sick / catch a cold / sore muscles tendons, etc.

One of the earliest indicators I’ve heard and kinda experienced is bad sleep and feeling as if a cold is coming on. Been there a couple times but I was cutting at that time. And I’m still a newbie so this is just what I’ve looked online and experienced.

Do some research - answers are obvious and readily available

If you feel like recovery is an issue, sleep is bad or there are lingering pains and aches, take a break from volume or take a few days off and get back at it once you feel better
    **^^ Work hard AND more importantly, work smart ^^**