William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Big Difference - Photos VS Real Life

When I check out my figure in the mirror I am very pleased, and I have received a good amount of compliments from friends and strangers, so they must see what I see, but when I take photos or video footage outdoors I just don't see the same results at all. Is it the camera focus, or the sunlight and shade effecting the outdoor shots? e.g. I was on vacation and went to a beach party and I was looking my absolute best and got a good tan which made my figure look even better. I took a selfie at the hotel that same night, but when I got home and checked the internet to see if anyone had filmed the beach party I saw myself in the background in some guys video and I was horrified to see my skin was white and my figure looked just bland. How could I look great in the hotel mirror and to other people, and yet appear terrible in the background of that video? Here are the two shots for comparison.

Certainly was a blow to my motivation when I saw it. My first reaction was 'how the heck can that be me'. Was the camera just out of focus? I was in the background under a shaded umbrella. Just can't figure out why I looked so different.

Cheers for any advice
    Attached Images
    Last edited by William2018; 11-29-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1. Lighting and pose counts for a lot.
    2. Nobody looks as jacked in a random, candid shot as they do when they're controlling the composition.

You probably still looked better than most of the other people there. Don't sweat it.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) William2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    1. Lighting and pose counts for a lot.
    2. Nobody looks as jacked in a random, candid shot as they do when they're controlling the composition.

You probably still looked better than most of the other people there. Don't sweat it.
    Thanks. Although it was a pretty trendy top beach club (bodybuilders and models all around). Was just irritating to spend so much time and effort getting into shape, and rewarding my efforts with a vacation to that beach club and then seeing myself in that video looking like that in the background. I guess it must be what models experience when they see a bad photo shoot of themselves and instead of blaming it on the camera, the lighting, etc, they instinctively blame the bad shoot on themselves and think it is their body that is the problem. Just one of life's little irritations I guess.

John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have this same exact thing happen everytime I take pics. of course I am fat so its no surprise I hate pics

As Elrond said, we get to be pros at standing in front of the mirror. U know your fave poses etc etc. A camera doesnt give a flip lol. It just catches whatever.

I have been back in the gym pretty solidly for about 6 months now. getting my strength back, the mirror looking better etc. So I have decided and committed to really cutting the fat away.

So I took some "before" pics. And TBH they werent TOTALLY before pics because I had been back in the gym for months making improvements. But they were "starting a cut" pics. Well....the pics were utterly digusting. I simply refuse to look at them and I doubt theyll EVER get posted online unless I finally hit about 9% bodyfat lol.

So yesterday I was at about 7 weeks into my cut and I decided to take some progress pics since i am down 10 lbs. Well of course I was expecting way better results. Nope, same thing happened. The pics r disgusting even though the mirror is way better and i am getting some compliments.

Not only r the pics disgusting....the freaking perspective on them is somehow incorrect lol. for some reason they are coming out sort of like a funhouse mirror. Like it makes my head and upperbody look big and my legs look itty bitty. I mean, i may have a big head but it isnt as tall as my foot to my knee. But it is in these pics!

its so frustrating because i want to document the process of losing the fat but my pic game is really weak.
    "Humility comes before honor"

ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    I have this same exact thing happen everytime I take pics. of course I am fat so its no surprise I hate pics

As Elrond said, we get to be pros at standing in front of the mirror. U know your fave poses etc etc. A camera doesnt give a flip lol. It just catches whatever.

I have been back in the gym pretty solidly for about 6 months now. getting my strength back, the mirror looking better etc. So I have decided and committed to really cutting the fat away.

So I took some "before" pics. And TBH they werent TOTALLY before pics because I had been back in the gym for months making improvements. But they were "starting a cut" pics. Well....the pics were utterly digusting. I simply refuse to look at them and I doubt theyll EVER get posted online unless I finally hit about 9% bodyfat lol.

So yesterday I was at about 7 weeks into my cut and I decided to take some progress pics since i am down 10 lbs. Well of course I was expecting way better results. Nope, same thing happened. The pics r disgusting even though the mirror is way better and i am getting some compliments.

Not only r the pics disgusting....the freaking perspective on them is somehow incorrect lol. for some reason they are coming out sort of like a funhouse mirror. Like it makes my head and upperbody look big and my legs look itty bitty. I mean, i may have a big head but it isnt as tall as my foot to my knee. But it is in these pics!

its so frustrating because i want to document the process of losing the fat but my pic game is really weak.
    Yeah, I tend to like myself in the mirror a lot better than I like my pictures too. My problem is just the opposite. When I took my avatar picture I figured I needed to lose another 5 pounds or so, but no matter what I did, my waistline would not decrease. I wasn't stuck at a particular weight, I was stuck at a particular waist measurement. Couldn't figure that one out.

Well, the mystery was resolved a few months ago, which led to the removal of my appendix and my spleen, some intra-abdominal fat, and a bunch of cancerous goop that had accumulated and caked between my organs. I don't look like that avatar any more, and I need to gain about 15 pounds to get back to where I was. I'll be cleared to start lifting again in late December so my before picture will hopefully be a pre-bulk.

Needless to say, I'm not too pleased with either mirror or photo at the moment, but at least I have a defined path forward.

64 and still a newbie.

etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Yeah, I tend to like myself in the mirror a lot better than I like my pictures too. My problem is just the opposite. When I took my avatar picture I figured I needed to lose another 5 pounds or so, but no matter what I did, my waistline would not decrease. I wasn't stuck at a particular weight, I was stuck at a particular waist measurement. Couldn't figure that one out.

Well, the mystery was resolved a few months ago, which led to the removal of my appendix and my spleen, some intra-abdominal fat, and a bunch of cancerous goop that had accumulated and caked between my organs. I don't look like that avatar any more, and I need to gain about 15 pounds to get back to where I was. I'll be cleared to start lifting again in late December so my before picture will hopefully be a pre-bulk.

Needless to say, I'm not too pleased with either mirror or photo at the moment, but at least I have a defined path forward.
    I'm sorry to hear that, El! I can't imagine how rough it's been, and can still be. How are you feeling now?? Are you feeling well-rested, and recovering at the present time? Forget an avi pic, selfies...it seems superficial compared to medical/health related issues, right? You'll be cleared and back to Madcow again...if that's want you set your mind to.
    "It's not in my nature to give up."

^^ "No, I'm not a Taurus."

Originally Posted by etet1919 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that, El! I can't imagine how rough it's been, and can still be. How are you feeling now?? Are you feeling well-rested, and recovering at the present time? Forget an avi pic, selfies...it seems superficial compared to medical/health related issues, right? You'll be cleared and back to Madcow again...if that's want you set your mind to.
    Thanks, Et! I'm feeling pretty good, the stitches have healed amazingly well. The surgery was on October 24, and I was hospitalized for 2 weeks. They opened me up from sternum to groin, hadn't expected such a big cut.

I started doing pushups this weekend, probably not strictly allowed under my drs. instructions. Felt good, although I can't do more than 20 at a time yet without things feeling like they're over-tightening inside.

Should work out fine, the surgeon is pretty confident they got everything, it was all coming out of the appendix, which is gone now, so they got the source of it. Apparently it was a very slow-growing, un-aggressive cancer, I'd probably been carrying it for years without knowing it. They also assured me that it had absolutely no relationship to the throat cancer from a couple of years previously, and it doesn't mean I'm any more susceptible to cancer than anyone else. It's a very rare, totally random occurrence -- just means I'm one of those special snowflakes!

I won't be starting right out with Madcow. I'll be doing higher volume, higher rep, lower weight stuff first, with a lot of rest-pause sets. Once I've recovered most of my weight, then I can start on a strength-emphasizing program like Madcow again.

I like those rest-pause exercises, though, I'd been experimenting with them the past few months, and I think they'll become a long-term part of my repertoire.

64 and still a newbie.