estrangberg01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Need advice with my workout and diet routine

About 9 years ago, I weighed in about 300lbs. I started by drinking nothing but water and started walking and jogging. I started to eat right and limited my fat, sugar and carb intake so that I could loose fat. I did that for about 2 years and finally got down to about 210 lbs. As soon as I lost a tremendous amount of fat weight, I started lifting weights. I never consulted a personal trainer. I just went online and searched the body building database for different resistance training exercises for each muscle group and started with weights that I could 'just lift' without failure. 3 sets of 12 with 200 total repetitions per muscle group. Is 200 reps per muslce group too much? I can see that I have gained muscle, but I feel that certain parts of my body such as my back, chest and legs are considerably weak. My concern is that I might not be lifting the proper way so I stopped resistance training a few weeks ago. I dont want to risk over working muscle groups and possibly be harming my body more than benefiting. I'm not looking to gain the benefits of "body building", I'm looking to progressively gain more muscle, and also build up my cardiovascular performance.

As far as my diet is concerned, I'm eating somewhat healthy and staying away from excessive saturated fat and sugar intake foods, but I don't think its 100 percent the right way. I did some research on BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). I used the body buildings online calculator and based on my height weight and age, my BMR turns out to be 2,207. I never used an device such as a fit bit to track the amount of calories that I burn per day while im at work. I work in a distribution center so there is a lot of walking and lifting, about 10 hours per day. I just took my BMR calorie intake and put another 1500 calories into my system for my TDEE. I also did some research on protein synthesis and have read that I should consume 0.08 to 1.4 grams of protein per pound of body weight to ensure the protein synthesis process to ensure that my muscle skeletal system stays 'anabolic' instead of breaking down and becoming 'catabolic'. So I ingest 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, I use 'ON 100 Percent Gold Standard Whey Protein' for my post workout protein shake and I use 2 servings for 48g P, 11g BCAA, and 8 g Glutamine. My diet is as follows:

Breakfast

6 egg omlet
    6 pieces of bacon
    32 oz OJ
    1 blueberry bagel with Philadelphia cheese
    2 servings of cottage cheese.

lunch and dinner is combined. (I will combine both my dinner and lunch into to the same meal because of my work schedule. I rotate the dishes out every week so that I am not eating the same dish. I read that if you eat the same dish every day that your intestinal health can go downhill. The dishes that I make are high in carbohydrate and protein. I tend to cut out the excess saturated fat content because I want to limit my fat intake.

Overall I consume about 3700 - 3800 calories per day.

For my cardiovascular health I jog 7.5 miles per hour, for 2 - 3 mile intervals 5 days per week. I also lap swim as well.

Any good advice at this point to better my resistance training, cardiovascular training and diet plan so that I can do it the right way would be appreciated, thank you.
    Last edited by estrangberg01; 12-06-2019 at 10:13 PM.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What is your current height, age, and weight? What has your weight done over the last 3 months? Six months? It seems to me like you are still eating a LOT of calories.

As for workout, go to the workout section and at the top of the forum. look at Fierce 5 (novice). Follow it to a "t".

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    What is your current height, age, and weight? What has your weight done over the last 3 months? Six months? It seems to me like you are still eating a LOT of calories.

As for workout, go to the workout section and at the top of the forum. look at Fierce 5 (novice). Follow it to a "t".
    5'11" 230lb 29yr My weight has fluctuated between 228 and 230.

Fitness Anarchist SerpentHearted's Avatar
    SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you don't need no 3800 cals per day that's for damn sure.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Free nutrition advice is essentially worthless because those with true nutrition expertise understand that sound advice is predicated on an extensive evaluation protocol. Such an effort is rarely offered free of charge. Instead, you'll get off the cuff, ambiguous feedback based on a general assessment.

What stood out to me was this notion that a two pound weight fluctuation (less than 1 percent) was something you felt was relevant mentioning.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Originally Posted by Ronin4help View Post
    Free nutrition advice is essentially worthless because those with true nutrition expertise understand that sound advice is predicated on an extensive evaluation protocol. Such an effort is rarely offered free of charge. Instead, you'll get off the cuff, ambiguous feedback based on a general assessment.

What stood out to me was this notion that a two pound weight fluctuation (less than 1 percent) was something you felt was relevant mentioning.
    I understand were your coming from as anyone on this forum can give me "Somewhat" of an answer. And that answer might not be answered by a nutritionist or even an expert as a body builder. At times you might not get a 100 percent accurate answer. Any advice to somewhat improve my diet and exercise routine from anyone on this forum who has been in the gym for years is good enough for me at this point. I do plan on getting a personal trainer, but not at the moment.
    Last edited by estrangberg01; 12-06-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Originally Posted by SerpentHearted View Post
    you don't need no 3800 cals per day that's for damn sure.
    I understand that going onto a forum is not the same thing as hiring a personal trainer to guide you the professional way. Any advice to somewhat improve my diet and exercise routine from anyone on this forum who has been in the gym for years is good enough for me at this point. I do plan on getting a personal trainer, but not at the moment.
    Last edited by estrangberg01; 12-06-2019 at 10:11 PM.