Thread: Slow recovery

Rebecca2853 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Slow recovery

Hello, me again haha.
    As ive said in earlier posts ive been working out for about 2 years. Ive definitly gotten somwhere since i began, but ive kind of hit a wall as i made a post about earlier. So i looked into the fierce 5 program which im starting to do. My problem is tho, that when i began working out i would do a full body every other day, and not feel that tired when i came back to the gym. Now ive upped the intensity (used to do 3x12 reps) and im typically doing 3-4x8 reps -now it depends on the program ofc. Anyway, problem is that i feel like my muscles are not recovering properly. This has been an issue for a while now. They are not sore but they just feel tired burnout quicker. More than they did when i was on my very old fb workout every other day, and i really dont know why. Also pretty sure that ive lost a bit of weight (only 1 or 2 kg) but idk if i lost muscle or fat. (triceps lost a bit of definiton so might be muscle) Im guessing that im either A, lifiting to heavy?? or B, doing everything BUT the workout wrong (sleep and diet). So my question is; How do you know if youre lifiting too heavy/heavy enough? And also how much should i eat? My goal is to build muscle (and if possible lose fat too) and ofc gain some strength. I weigh 58,5 ish, im 164 cm talll and 18 years old.
    Im currently trying to track my food but i dont really weigh my food, so my calculated cal intake might be a bit off. According to the app i eat around 1800 cal (sometimes i go lower). I typically get about 70-80 g protein (depends if i had a protein shake or not, usually o have one after every workout). And i sleep for about 7 hours a night (more in the weekend ofc ahah)
    Thanks in advance

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Rebecca2853 View Post
    Hello, me again haha.
    As ive said in earlier posts ive been working out for about 2 years. Ive definitly gotten somwhere since i began, but ive kind of hit a wall as i made a post about earlier. So i looked into the fierce 5 program which im starting to do. My problem is tho, that when i began working out i would do a full body every other day, and not feel that tired when i came back to the gym. Now ive upped the intensity (used to do 3x12 reps) and im typically doing 3-4x8 reps -now it depends on the program ofc. Anyway, problem is that i feel like my muscles are not recovering properly.
    This is common when new lifters to a program try and speed progression past the linear progression prescribed in the program. The Fierce 5 beginner programs states that weight should increased weekly as shown here:-

Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    The Novice Full Body Program

Workout A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Pendlay Rows 3x8
    Face Pulls 3x10
    Calf raises 2x15/Tricep pressdowns 2x10 Superset

Workout B
    Front Squat 3x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Romanian Deadlift 3x8
    Lat Pulldowns 3x8 (any grip)
    Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset (I don’t care what ab work you do)

You will be working out 3 nonconsecutive days a week and alternating between workouts A & B. Ex: Mon-A, Tues-Rest, Wed-B, Thur-Rest, Fri-A, Sat-Rest, Sun-Rest, Mon-B…etc. Each week you’ll add 5 lbs to all of your upper body lifts* and 10lbs to all of your lower body lifts.

*Reverse flies will increase 5lbs per month, leg curls (if subbed) will increase 5lbs per week and ab work increases in reps (try adding a few reps each week.) If you are unable to increase weight in these increments due to equipment limitations then, for that exercise only, increase weight every other week. For the exercises in the 5 rep range add 1 rep per set during the weeks you aren’t increasing weight. For exercises in the 8-15 range add 2 reps per set during weeks you aren’t increasing weight.
    [Click to return to top]
    Rep progression is not prescribed unless you don't have enough weights. By progressing in reps you will be required to drop the weight down to compensate therefore causing double progression instead of linear progression. As a beginner focusing on linear progression is the key. I advise not trying to change the program it will get harder as you progress the start of any program is easy this is to allow you to learn the motor pathways for the movement (correct form).

Also pretty sure that ive lost a bit of weight (only 1 or 2 kg) but idk if i lost muscle or fat. (triceps lost a bit of definiton so might be muscle)
    Have you got stronger and progressing if so its unlikely you have lost muscle. Only way of knowing if you are losing weight is to keep a record of your weight. Regular weigh-ins will help with this.

And also how much should i eat? My goal is to build muscle (and if possible lose fat too) and ofc gain some strength. I weigh 58,5 ish, im 164 cm talll and 18 years old.
    Im currently trying to track my food but i dont really weigh my food, so my calculated cal intake might be a bit off. According to the app i eat around 1800 cal (sometimes i go lower). I typically get about 70-80 g protein (depends if i had a protein shake or not, usually o have one after every workout). And i sleep for about 7 hours a night (more in the weekend ofc ahah)
    Thanks in advance
    I don't think you need to weigh your food and based on your form video previously you just need to progress on a solid training program in order build more muscle. As for how much you should eat that is a difficult estimate without knowing if you are actually losing weight or gaining weight that said a quick estimate puts your around 1800-1900 maintenance therefore I would advise in the bracket of 2000 would be fine.

You also need more protein I would advise between 90-100g read this for full help on nutrition:-

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

I personally don't believe you need to be in a caloric deficit you need to be at maintenance or a small surplus and progress on the Fierce 5 as prescribed whilst progressively getting stronger. At a point you may need to add extra volume but that is explained in the Fierce 5 program.

Rebecca2853 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    This is common when new lifters to a program try and speed progression past the linear progression prescribed in the program. The Fierce 5 beginner programs states that weight should increased weekly as shown here:-

Rep progression is not prescribed unless you don't have enough weights. By progressing in reps you will be required to drop the weight down to compensate therefore causing double progression instead of linear progression. As a beginner focusing on linear progression is the key. I advise not trying to change the program it will get harder as you progress the start of any program is easy this is to allow you to learn the motor pathways for the movement (correct form).

Have you got stronger and progressing if so its unlikely you have lost muscle. Only way of knowing if you are losing weight is to keep a record of your weight. Regular weigh-ins will help with this.

I don't think you need to weigh your food and based on your form video previously you just need to progress on a solid training program in order build more muscle. As for how much you should eat that is a difficult estimate without knowing if you are actually losing weight or gaining weight that said a quick estimate puts your around 1800-1900 maintenance therefore I would advise in the bracket of 2000 would be fine.

You also need more protein I would advise between 90-100g read this for full help on nutrition:-

I personally don't believe you need to be in a caloric deficit you need to be at maintenance or a small surplus and progress on the Fierce 5 as prescribed whilst progressively getting stronger. At a point you may need to add extra volume but that is explained in the Fierce 5 program.
    What i dont understand is that ive only done the program once. And i felt weak when i even started. The weakness began before i got on the program, and i have not done anything out of the normal... Only new thing is that i pushed the benchpress a bit harder but thats it. Its just really demotivating to go into a program when im already on a downward spiral. I just hope my strentgh will get back. When i attempted the pullups today i could barely do one proper rep

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you've been working out consistently for a while without a break, your body might just need a deload - a week or so with less volume and/or less intensity, or an entire week off maybe based on what you describe.

Then you can start F5 fresh and treat it as day 1 since it's a new routine. Even if you feel you're starting out a bit weak, if you follow the progression scheme you'll make gains from whereever you were on day 1 and eventually surpass wherever you feel you once were at.

And definitely figure out your maintenance cals as suggested above, and eat at a slight surplus. You can read the stickies in the Nutrition forum for help on diet.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Rebecca2853 View Post
    What i dont understand is that ive only done the program once. And i felt weak when i even started. The weakness began before i got on the program, and i have not done anything out of the normal... Only new thing is that i pushed the benchpress a bit harder but thats it. Its just really demotivating to go into a program when im already on a downward spiral. I just hope my strentgh will get back. When i attempted the pullups today i could barely do one proper rep
    As stated by air2fakie you generally are advised to deload before starting a new program as you are likely to stall straight away. Personally when I switch program I drop back the weight by up to 50% (this depends on the volume change) and work up from there. This will allow you to become custom to new lifts, allow recovery and ensure new progression is occurring under the new program conditions.

Therefore I would advised start the Fierce 5 novice as described but drop your current weight by 40-50% and test the water from there. If it feels like you have barely worked and is very easy then progress the weight slightly quicker (add 10lb upper and then 15 lower or something similar) then work from that number progression week on week.

Also it is possible it is just a 'off day' these happen. Everyone has them, give it another go and if no luck then definitely deload. Also eating more may help especially around workout times (carbs a little while before will help).