Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Another squat depth thread

So my flexibility allows me to squat A2G very easily, but once the weight starts to get heavy I tend to wimp out and merely hit hip-crease-to-knee parallel to save strength and avoid failing terribly (warmup sets are ass to the floor). Is it worth limiting myself to use heavier weight, or should I go back in weight and strive to hit the greater depth my body allows me to perform until I can perform it at a higher weight? Strictly recreational bodybuilding purposes.

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    You don't need to go ATG. Stick to whatever weight allows you to do your reps w/ good form.

Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are there any benefits to squatting below parallel anyway?

HanleyTucks is not very well liked. (-100) HanleyTucks is not very well liked. (-100) HanleyTucks is not very well liked. (-100) HanleyTucks is not very well liked. (-100) HanleyTucks is not very well liked. (-100) HanleyTucks is not very well liked. (-100) HanleyTucks is not very well liked. (-100) HanleyTucks is not very well liked. (-100) HanleyTucks is not very well liked. (-100) HanleyTucks is not very well liked. (-100) HanleyTucks is not very well liked. (-100)
    Do it properly.

If on adding load you accept regularly reducing range of motion, the logical endpoint of that is that you end up loading the bar with 250kg and simply walking it out. You would not expect this to create much useful muscle, though.

In every movement you should use the fullest range of motion over which you can maintain good form. If you can, as you say, do this with light weight but not heavy, you should start with light weight, progress it conservatively, and keep doing it properly.

rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Xpiro View Post
    Increased mobility. Mobility is defined as the combination of range-of-motion and strength.

Why not do both and treat them as different exercises rather than one a warmup and one a working set?

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Alan Thrall on Squat Depth (revisited 2019 edition): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cWgc4q7pxg
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    So my flexibility allows me to squat A2G very easily, but once the weight starts to get heavy I tend to wimp out and merely hit hip-crease-to-knee parallel to save strength and avoid failing terribly (warmup sets are ass to the floor). Is it worth limiting myself to use heavier weight, or should I go back in weight and strive to hit the greater depth my body allows me to perform until I can perform it at a higher weight? Strictly recreational bodybuilding purposes.
    The big thing I see here is your mindset. There's nothing wrong with being intimidated by the weight on the bar. We all eventually get there. You have to learn to deal with that. Squatting to parallel is perfectly fine. But if you go from A2G in your lighter sets to parallel in your top set, something's wrong.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Bigger ass

@xsquid I’ve seen that video, love Thrall, but this guy hits the nail on the head about my concern:

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    The big thing I see here is your mindset. There's nothing wrong with being intimidated by the weight on the bar. We all eventually get there. You have to learn to deal with that. Squatting to parallel is perfectly fine. But if you go from A2G in your lighter sets to parallel in your top set, something's wrong.
    Yeah, I’m working on the fear thing. I failed a rep/had to dump the bar/almost crushed my neck for the first time in a couple of years the other day and it’s been kinda rough on me mentally since. How it got to that point I have no idea because I’d been progressing without issues, granted this was after resetting the weight post-injury a few months back. It’s happened several times and I’ll work my way back up, tweaking my form (with the aid of a physical therapist at one point) to get stuck, again, lower than where I made it last time.

But yeah, for now I’m taking it one rep at a time to focus on hitting what I’m capable of without burning myself out to the point of utter failure. I’m experimenting with higher weight/lower reps at the moment, committing to reading myself and my body better than before.

@christos No worries, baby got back.