Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Blood Pressure

bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No scientific information, only my own experience. At 243lbs and a 40 inch waist my diastolic blood pressure was 90-95 consistently. Reducing my weight by exercise and diet to 205 lbs my diastolic blood pressure was around 70 (waist size was 33 inches at this weight). I then added approx 8lbs of muscle, the blood pressure and waist size remained the same. Part of my exercise program in addition to lifting includes running or rowing several times per week to keep the cardio strong. For me keeping visceral fat low is the answer to blood pressure control but I'm sure that is not always the case.

willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BakerMayfield View Post
    I’m an internal medicine physician. I deal with this stuff all day long. Some people can do everything perfectly and genetics gets them. Same with cholesterol. I say, pick your parents wisely. Anyhow, sounds like you’re on hydrochlorothiazide. What’s the other med? Sounds like spironolactone which makes little sense. Anyhow, good luck.
    This is the stuff. Lisinopril-hydroCHLOROthiazide (PRINZIDE/ZESTORETIC) - No way I would remember that. It sounds like the best plan is to lose some fat and DASH up my diet.
    ".......have you paid your dues Jack?"
    "Yes Sir, the check is in the mail."

willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BakerMayfield View Post
    Typically my go to for new cases of hypertension. Good drugs. Losing weight is always advised. How was your other bloodwork, like lipids? I take it you don’t smoke? Alcohol?
    LDL was high, cholesterol was towards the higher end, but in range. Don't smoke. Drink moderately, heavier when I was younger.
    ".......have you paid your dues Jack?"
    "Yes Sir, the check is in the mail."

nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
    No scientific information, only my own experience. At 243lbs and a 40 inch waist my diastolic blood pressure was 90-95 consistently. Reducing my weight by exercise and diet to 205 lbs my diastolic blood pressure was around 70 (waist size was 33 inches at this weight). I then added approx 8lbs of muscle, the blood pressure and waist size remained the same. Part of my exercise program in addition to lifting includes running or rowing several times per week to keep the cardio strong. For me keeping visceral fat low is the answer to blood pressure control but I'm sure that is not always the case.
    I am constantly low blood pressure...until I got sick and got a little too heavy. Then it went normal to borderline high. So I would agree that I think increased visceral fat goes hand in hand with blood pressure.
    "We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot." Eleanor Roosevelt

s00perstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tblodg15 View Post
    My blood pressure was getting high and I was looking at probably ending up on some meds. But when I started working out and lost weight at 49 it dropped significantly and is well below 120/80.
    Same here. My blood pressure is borderline at the high end and I think it is due to the fact that my fat percentage is too high and because I have been very lazy with cardio over the last decade. I love lifting weights and skip cardio as I think I will have better weight lifting sessions. I have been doing a lot of cardio since the beginning of this year and I feel a lot better. I also need to manage my stress levels better and I am taking it easy currently due to heat waves which means I can't go full-out cardio in the morning and do crazy weights in the evening. I have lost 5 inches on my stomach in 4 months and aim to lose another 7 inches. Yep, I got that fat during COVID! I am a bit frustrated that my blood pressure takes so long to go down but I am just going to push a healthy diet and keep losing fat so my body can be healthier. Oh, and the cardio really helped me with my heavy lifts. Before I would run out of breath or my heart would bounce in my throat after 4 heavy squats. Now I can do a whole set. Cardio is a must!!!

Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    About 10 years ago, my blood pressure was around 174/114 i dont smoke or drink either, but im a sucker for salty foods (chips/crackers etc) and adding extra salt to dishes. I was also clocking in at around 280lbs at 6'1.....just a classic case of being use to eating 4k calories per day due to being an athlete in college to continuing that calorie intake after transition in life to an office job. Refusing to go on medications, I lost about 65lbs in 8 months and my blood pressure was essentially back to normal (125/85'ish)

I'm now sitting in the upper 220 lbs and my blood pressure has climbed a bit to around 132/90 upon waking in the morning, so I'm back to losing weight again.

At least in my case, my weight/diet is the sole contributor to my hypertension. For my height, my ideal weight is 180lbs, but I haven't been that light since elementary school, but I'm going to attempt to get to at least 190.
    Last edited by Maestro; 08-11-2022 at 12:41 PM.