jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How do bodybuilders do it?

Okay besides the injections of all kinds of stuff, how do pro bodybuilders get to such low body fat? What can a natural adopt from their programs ? I am stuck at 20% or so.

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You put yourself in a calorie deficit for an extended period of time. If you're stuck at 20% then you're eating too many calories on a weekly basis.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Discipline. Real hard discipline. No alcohol, no yummy food, lift heaps and do cardio.

rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Caldef View Post
    Discipline. Real hard discipline. No alcohol, no yummy food, lift heaps and do cardio.
    Be careful. I once gave similar advice about eating "clean" and was blown up on here by a female BB going for her pro card. She said I didn't understand how it all works. Ok.

Regardless, nobody can change my mind that for me as a natty individual eating quality foods yields better results. Sure, some people have those freak genetics that allow them to eat all the "yummy" stuff and still look great.

To the OP, consistency is the key. Figure it out, track & weigh everything then stick with it.
    The three D's - Desire, Determination and Dedication!

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by rjoylo2008 View Post
    Be careful. I once gave similar advice about eating "clean" and was blown up on here by a female BB going for her pro card. She said I didn't understand how it all works. Ok.

Regardless, nobody can change my mind that for me as a natty individual eating quality foods yields better results. Sure, some people have those freak genetics that allow them to eat all the "yummy" stuff and still look great.

To the OP, consistency is the key. Figure it out, track & weigh everything then stick with it.
    Eating clean is a subjective term - it all depends what you mean

1. Get lots of fruit and vegetables and other minimally processed wholefoods - great idea

2. Put arbitrary restrictions on entire food groups because of some pseudo science nonsense about how they are bad for you - not a great idea

Ultimately, it's easier to stick to a diet if the foods are filling and provide lots of nutrients without also providing lots of calories and stimulating your appetite by being highly flavoured / sweet / salty etc.

Registered User gurcharanathwal's Avatar
    gurcharanathwal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As you know Bodybuilders use a variety of tools to get ready for a competition, and each of these tools are in some way geared towards creating a body that possesses the greatest amounts of muscle mass and the lowest levels of body fat.

It’s not easy to find out, as every bodybuilding expert has his or her own pet theories. What’s more, in their articles, bodybuilders tend to focus on how they differ from other experts and bodybuilders rather than the things they have in common, leaving the areas of agreement unspoken. But most of the time, these areas of agreement are the big rocks that form the foundation of a bodybuilder’s routines.
    Gurcharan Singh,
    CEO , STAY SUPER FIT
    Mobile 9592846137
    Email :- gurcharanathwal20@gmail.com
    Instagram :- @stayfitwithgurcharan

John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000)
    lets put it into perspective. you are comparing "getting under 20%" to "how to bodybuilders get so lean?"

thats like 9 miles apart lol. Not a great comparison.

Why not set a goal?...lets say to get to 14-15%. That should be very doable and all it will take it just getting some basic habits established. you wont have to worry about starving yourself or really even 'eating clean' to any great degree. its just a matter of managing a calorie deficit over a period of time etc

Im guessing you could do it in something like 5-6 months. Maybe a 12 week cut followed by a 4 week maintenance phase then maybe another 12 week cut. Then again there are a million different approaches that work
    "Humility comes before honor"

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    lets put it into perspective. you are comparing "getting under 20%" to "how to bodybuilders get so lean?"

That's what I was thinking. To get to 12%, "eat less for a period of time" works for most men. To get to 8% and below for most men involves specialized knowledge and, likely, a lot of pain and suffering.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by jdesey View Post
    Okay besides the injections of all kinds of stuff, how do pro bodybuilders get to such low body fat? What can a natural adopt from their programs ? I am stuck at 20% or so.
    You need to drop your calories consistently as you lose fat. Start at 10 calories for every lb of bodyweight and then drop 100 calories a day for every 10 lbs of weightloss and you'll go all the way to your target weight. Be sure to lift properly
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000) Caldef is a name known to all. (+5000)

Yep, fair enough. Obviously I'm not a bodybuilder myself, Im just being very very generalistic.

As for the actual pros (ie the competitive ones who actually won titles and stuff), what I've observed didn't look like much fun to me. Gym twice a day, totally restricted diets (counting and weighing everything), no alcohol, no sugar, no social life. I DO really admire the discipline and commitment and absolute willpower,and of course the results are INCREDIBLE, I could never do it myself though.

Sometimes their goals are almost not even human, eg like where most people are more than happy with a 6 pack, this guy I know had to have his veins "popping" from his abdominal muscles. I didn't think it was a very happy kind of lifestyle.

But if OP is trying to get below 20% bf, that's a totally different scenario to a pro bodybuilder. Eating "clean", lots of cardio, calorie counting and lifting weights should make a difference.

jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Macros ???

All good advice and thank you everybody. Currently I am tracking all of my food with my fitness pal. I’m running a goal of 2100 cal per day regardless if it’s workout day or not.

20% carbs 50% protein, 30% fat. What do you guys think of that? I think maybe the carbs is low and the protein is high? That’s like 275 g of protein

Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post

Why not set a goal?...lets say to get to 14-15%. That should be very doable and all it will take it just getting some basic habits established. you wont have to worry about starving yourself or really even 'eating clean' to any great degree. its just a matter of managing a calorie deficit over a period of time etc

Im guessing you could do it in something like 5-6 months. Maybe a 12 week cut followed by a 4 week maintenance phase then maybe another 12 week cut. Then again there are a million different approaches that work
    Dammm good point. I’m not a competitive bodybuilder, I am totally natural. So why look to the Pros for answers. They have different goals and are using all kinds of chemicals to aid.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    20% carbs 50% protein, 30% fat. What do you guys think of that? I think maybe the carbs is low and the protein is high? That’s like 275 g of protein
    Read the first post in this thread, it talks about why we dont use macro percentages: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    All good advice and thank you everybody. Currently I am tracking all of my food with my fitness pal. I’m running a goal of 2100 cal per day regardless if it’s workout day or not.

If your age is actually 52 I have a year on you. Age is a factor.

The first half of this year I was determined to get abs and have that killer beach look. 2100 cals a day was one of the numbers I was running at but had to drop it as low as 1590 at one point to break through. Don't be afraid to tweak as you go. Our bodies are smart and adapt.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Eating clean is a subjective term - it all depends what you mean

1. Get lots of fruit and vegetables and other minimally processed wholefoods - great idea

2. Put arbitrary restrictions on entire food groups because of some pseudo science nonsense about how they are bad for you - not a great idea

Ultimately, it's easier to stick to a diet if the foods are filling and provide lots of nutrients without also providing lots of calories and stimulating your appetite by being highly flavoured / sweet / salty etc.
    I just meant in generalization if I had 1,800 cals a day while cutting to work with I much rather go for volume with "clean" foods instead of caloric dense foods and then be fasting the rest of the day. Calories are calories and one can get them real quick if one wanted to. I think we can all agree on that.

Plus I have found the word "clean" has undeservingly been placed into the "bro science" category. For me clean is the opposite of dirty, dense, fatty, sugary, high calorie foods. Don't understand why that becomes an argument? Not now but it has for me in the past as I mentioned.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For me clean is the opposite of dirty, dense, fatty, sugary, high calorie foods. Don't understand why that becomes an argument? Not now but it has for me in the past as I mentioned.
    The reason why it's an disputed term is even your terminology doesn't help with defining "clean" food.

For example avocado is supposedly nutritional but it's has 160- 180 calories per 100g that is more then your average chocolate bar. Likewise peanut butter is regarded as muscle building food and that has a tonne of fat and calories. Again coconut oil/ butter is claimed to be massively beneficial for health (although science is disputing this more commonly these days) and the calories in that are huge.

Looking at it the opposite way ice cream is regarded by societal norms as junk food but the average 100g is 200 calories which is only 20 calories more then avocado I know which one I would rather have. Also high sugar, fruit is just sugar mainly and that is not regarded as junk food (which I totally agree with).

As you can see the terminology of clean and dirty is very blurred.

That is why people including myself find the term 'clean' as misleading as the media will happily suggest one thing is good or bad just because of the fashion.

For me clean is the opposite of dirty, dense, fatty, sugary, high calorie foods. Don't understand why that becomes an argument?
    LOL @ clean is the opposite of dirty... They are still completely subjective terms. Dense? Not sure what you mean by that, a steak is dense, chicken breast is dense. Fatty? We all need fats, avocado, olive oil, etc. High calorie? Nuts, avocado, milk, none of those things are inherently bad either. Sugary? Ok maybe I'll accept this one if its highly processed or made with high fructose corn syrup, but fruits have sugar too and I love me some fruit.

So yeah, its not as easy as just saying "its the opposite of dirty".

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    LOL @ clean is the opposite of dirty... They are still completely subjective terms. Dense? Not sure what you mean by that, a steak is dense, chicken breast is dense. Fatty? We all need fats, avocado, olive oil, etc. High calorie? Nuts, avocado, milk, none of those things are inherently bad either. Sugary? Ok maybe I'll accept this one if its highly processed or made with high fructose corn syrup, but fruits have sugar too and I love me some fruit.

So yeah, its not as easy as just saying "its the opposite of dirty".
    Sometimes we out smart ourselves.

And If you check my other post you would see I often mention healthy fats as being crucial for overall health. I would say the use of fats in a diet is one of the most commonly overlooked and misunderstood factors.

W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000)
    There's also the contest prep thing, I'm not sure on the specifics but something to do with specific sodium, water and carbohydrate intake timing close to a competition to get subcutaneous water into the muscles and out from the skin, which gives them that extra push into leanness. If you're just talking everyday life low body fat then it's just what everyone has been saying already.
    Brazilian Crew |<o>|
    IIFYM Crew
    Username is an Acronym Crew

What's Important Now?