Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post

"RDA" is tricky. It comes primarily from nitrogen balance studies that show the 0.8g/kg number should be good for ~97.5% of people. A lot of people think RDA means maximum but really it should be considered a minimum in this case. How high about that minimum is safe is unclear. A lot of people think the RDA should be higher for elderly people (closer to 1.0-1.2 g/kg), and most of the studies looking at "high protein" intakes of 1.0-1.5 g/kg longitudinally don't find that much damage, so I think you can safely go quite a bit above the RDA without any concerns. I just don't know about the 2.0+ g/kg intakes that a lot of the sports world uses for an extended period of time.

I've attached a more expanded version of the above that I would have put here had it not been for the glitches. This expanded version still doesn't include everything I read but it should be comprehensive enough to get the points across without being too much.
    Thank you for the reply and the attached Heisman

Originally Posted by HanleyTucks View Post
    RDAs generally represent minimums to avoid nutrient deficiencies, not maximums to avoid ill effects.

Yea I'm aware what RDA is bro

Was a random statement basically saying I'm going to continue to eat my current protein amounts and not anything significantly lower be it be RDA minimum or RDA maximum
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I wonder if the source of protein also makes a different, perhaps specific amino acids/profiles contribute to damage or lack thereof
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    I wonder if the source of protein also makes a different, perhaps specific amino acids/profiles contribute to damage or lack thereof
    Good point

Animal vs plant, etc and their individual, if any, effects
    NASM CPT

RIP my friend D4K

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by boo99 View Post
    Good point

Especially whole food vs processed powders, etc...
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I switched to plant protein powder a few years ago - figure I'd balance out all the protein I get from meat just in case it made a difference.

rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Especially whole food vs processed powders, etc...
    Really interested in this as well. In particular would like to know the impact difference between taking protein powder with only water vs. taking it with milk or a meal.

I’d imagine that the more you can “diffuse” the protein with other nutrients, in particular carbs, the better.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Source of protein likely makes some difference as different amino acids can impact GFR to different degrees. There generally seem to be worse impacts from animal protein than vegetable protein, though most people eat considerably more protein from animal sources which makes it harder to tease out all of the differences. In CKD there seems to be a benefit to more plant vs animal but there are several other considerations there (acid/base balance, phosphorus content, others) that aren't relevant to people with healthy kidneys.

Protein powder vs whole meals to my knowledge hasn't been studied (with respect to kidney health). The question there is if an acute rise in blood amino acid levels would be more damaging than a more sustained slower rise, assuming it's damaging at all. It's an interesting question.

Source of protein likely makes some difference as different amino acids can impact GFR to different degrees. There generally seem to be worse impacts from animal protein than vegetable protein, though most people eat considerably more protein from animal sources which makes it harder to tease out all of the differences. In CKD there seems to be a benefit to more plant vs animal but there are several other considerations there (acid/base balance, phosphorus content, others) that aren't relevant to people with healthy kidneys.

Protein powder vs whole meals to my knowledge hasn't been studied (with respect to kidney health). The question there is if an acute rise in blood amino acid levels would be more damaging than a more sustained slower rise, assuming it's damaging at all. It's an interesting question.
    I’d love to see:

Lentils/beans/grain

Vs

Milk/yogurt

Vs

Eggs

Vs

Chicken / turkey / fish

Vs

Beef

Vs

Salmon / tuna

Vs

Whey /casein powder

Vs

BcAA/EAA powder

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

so would the goal be to keep ureagenesis as low as possible?

If so, whole meals would be better than protein powders. And spreading protein over the day would be better than 1-2 large dosages of protein.

I’d love to see:

Lentils/beans/grain

Vs

Milk/yogurt

Vs

Eggs

Vs

Chicken / turkey / fish

Vs

Beef

Vs

Salmon / tuna

Vs

Whey /casein powder

Vs

BcAA/EAA powder
    FFO future

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post

If so, whole meals would be better than protein powders. And spreading protein over the day would be better than 1-2 large dosages of protein.
    Would be nice if that is so cause as you know most of us eat whole food > whey and most spread their protein out over the day, though as stated, Im keeping my protein as is

@Heisman
    I'm curious if this info you presented has made you think about you altering your own protein intake?
    NASM CPT

RIP my friend D4K

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post

To some extent that would probably be helpful as the size of a protein load does have a dose response relationship with acute increase in GFR.

@Heisman
    I'm curious if this info you presented has made you think about you altering your own protein intake?
    Good question. I still feel comfortable staying at ~0.7g/lb from a health standpoint. My normal intake is above that (though I'm bulking currently); I'm going to take down my protein to 0.8-0.85 g/lb or so (been closer to 1 g/lb just eating foods I like without thinking about it). It's harder for me to go lower without giving up foods I like to eat regularly, lol.

Good question. I still feel comfortable staying at ~0.7g/lb from a health standpoint. My normal intake is above that (though I'm bulking currently); I'm going to take down my protein to 0.8-0.85 g/lb or so (been closer to 1 g/lb just eating foods I like without thinking about it). It's harder for me to go lower without giving up foods I like to eat regularly, lol.
    Lol, agree, hard to give up those foods we regularly like eating

And Thanksgiving is Thursday!

Thank you for your reply
    NASM CPT

RIP my friend D4K

Same... I pretty much intuitively hit dead on 150g/day and have been for about 15 years... some days maybe as low as 120-130, others sometimes up to 170.... but the average is definitely around the 150 mark.

If I get lower it's because I end up eating out at restaurants more or something and end up filling up on carbs.

Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Same... I pretty much intuitively hit dead on 150g/day and have been for about 15 years... some days maybe as low as 120-130, others sometimes up to 170.... but the average is definitely around the 150 mark.

If I get lower it's because I end up eating out at restaurants more or something and end up filling up on carbs.
    Same. Not only is this my preferred way of eating, but I actually find myself actively craving protein if I don't get at least around 120 g or so. I've done "intuitive" eating for years now, and I will find myself needing to have something with protein at the end of the day if I haven't had enough. I've also tried going lower in protein when I was vegan (about 100-130 g per day) and my recovery from workouts noticeably sucked until I upped it. My minimums of pro/carb/fat are pretty hardwired despite me not actively tracking anything, and I can actually "feel" when I haven't had enough. It does feel like I need somewhere around 0.8 grams per lb. I know this sounds crazy but I've heard Eric Helms mention bodybuilders who are similar, who also have a sense of whether they hit their minimums.

When I feel low on protein, I have a very gnawing hunger. Protein being the most satiating macro, I wonder how these findings might impact dietary recs. for the general public. Is the trade-off for potentially-better kidney health worth telling people to keep their protein in-check? It seems to me that, within reason (say 200 g or so), the higher protein the better with regards to helping obese/overweight people stick to their diets.
    Last edited by Strawng; 11-26-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Originally Posted by Strawng View Post
    Same. Not only is this my preferred way of eating, but I actually find myself actively craving protein if I don't get at least around 120 g or so. I've done "intuitive" eating for years now, and I will find myself needing to have something with protein at the end of the day if I haven't had enough. I've also tried going lower in protein when I was vegan (about 100-130 g per day) and my recovery from workouts noticeably sucked until I upped it. My minimums of pro/carb/fat are pretty hardwired despite me not actively tracking anything, and I can actually "feel" when I haven't had enough. It does feel like I need somewhere around 0.8 grams per lb. I know this sounds crazy but I've heard Eric Helms mention bodybuilders who are similar, who also have a sense of whether they hit their minimums.

When I feel low on protein, I have a very gnawing hunger. Protein being the most satiating macro, I wonder how these findings might impact dietary recs. for the general public. Is the trade-off for potentially-better kidney health worth telling people to keep their protein in-check? It seems to me that, within reason (say 200 g or so), the higher protein the better with regards to helping obese/overweight people stick to their diets.

I had no idea you were vegan once (or I forgot somehow)... I was vegan 3 years until last spring. Shadow... you truly have outdone yourself ;-)

I echo the feelings of low protein. I liken it to feel a strange ‘sinking’ feeling in my gut which fats or carbs can’t really fill. Sounds nebulous, but in my experience:

Carb = energy and bulk in stomach
    Fats = general satiety / satisfaction / mouthfeel
    Protein = prolonged meal satisfaction / reduction of hunger pangs / enhanced recovery

I find there is something about the process of chewing whole food protein sources that rounds off a meal... I can’t get that same feeling from just pasta, or just mixed nuts... at least not that lasts very long. I can be hungry in 1-2 hours even from a big yogurt bowl with granola on it if the yogurt isn’t high protein, but give me sweet potato fries, some broccoli with cheddar on top, and a nice salmon fillet, I’m good for several hours.

Only possible exception would be my proats... but then my proats are like 900-1000 calories

I intuitively eat as well, but estimating I would still say I get 140-160 protein on average.. carbs... lol... I dunno, maybe 500-600 on average... they honestly just fill in gaps of energy and a good excuse to get extra micros... plus slamming an extra banana or throwing back a bowl of cereal is really easy.

Been having to purposefully add extra fats cuz I’ve been retaining a lot of water from the carbs... but man it makes training fun.
    Last edited by AdamWW; 11-26-2019 at 08:31 PM.

armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Protein is healthy

HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I’d love to see:

Lentils/beans/grain

Vs

Milk/yogurt

[etc]
    You speak as though people could or should eat just one of those things. A sensible person will have a varied diet of some red meat, some fish, some white meat, some beans, some dairy, and so on.

You speak as though people could or should eat just one of those things. A sensible person will have a varied diet of some red meat, some fish, some white meat, some beans, some dairy, and so on.
    Uh, no I don’t, wtf are you talking about?

I’m allowed to be curious without suggesting anything is good or bad.

People can eat whatever they want, I don’t really care.

Go back and re-read the context of what he wrote

We were discussing testing different food groups (proteins) to see which, if any, had any higher or lower effects on kidney pathology, as that's the topic of this thread

Smh
    NASM CPT

RIP my friend D4K

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by armies View Post
    Protein is healthy
    Give it a break or you will be going on one.

Try posting more helpful, debatable stuff instead of random statements.
    Eat the damn yolk.

Originally Posted by Gxp23 View Post
    Give it a break or you will be going on one.

Try posting more helpful, debatable stuff instead of random statements.
    Lmao

What is about protein threads, as well as IF, Keto, IIFYM, etc that brings out the ludicrous lol
    NASM CPT

RIP my friend D4K

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The references here may be of interest. Italian article, use Google to translate.

Proteins and kidney damage: long-term studies
    https://www.vivereinforma.it/protein...potesi-realta/

(I tried copying more but the forum has glitches).

I went through the article, nothing really new I hadn't seen previously. I did use google translate and am impressed with how readable it was after using this; it seems to work quite well.

DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bumping this thread to see if there has been any further information made available.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DougyF7 View Post
    Bumping this thread to see if there has been any further information made available.
    I dunno but it's fun to read conversations from a few years ago that you don't remember having.

DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    I dunno but it's fun to read conversations from a few years ago that you don't remember having.
    Lol it's a good/funny thread to read.

Wonder where mrpb is these days

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wonder where mrpb is these days
    Perusing all of the literature.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Originally Posted by DougyF7 View Post
    No new important updates that I have come across. There is another review just out about protein intake for hypertrophy in general; I intend to read it today and will make a thread about it.

Edit: I was mistaken, the other review is for strength training and is similar to the various ones on hypertrophy showing an "optimal" intake of ~1.5 g/kg when engaging in resistance training, but they likely didn't have very many well-trained individuals and it's not really anything new.
    Last edited by Heisman2; 10-02-2022 at 03:47 PM.
    My 100% free website: healthierwithscience.com
    My YouTube channel: youtube.com/@benjaminlevinsonmd17

MarkGarro95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkGarro95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkGarro95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkGarro95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkGarro95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkGarro95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkGarro95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkGarro95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkGarro95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkGarro95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkGarro95 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by armies View Post
    A high protein diet is NOT unhealthy
    From my understanding, I high protein diet is needed to maintain not only proper function but also to keep fat off for the most part(in addition to eating at maintence level)