lamakjar is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Fat to almost fit - Under 4 months (Lost 45 pounds)

So... All of a sudden, around July 20 this year, I realized I was fat. I've been fat all my life but I had this sudden realization when looking in the mirror when trimming my ghastly mustache and beard.

For the longest time, I've fantasied about being fit and ripped but it was just a fantasy; a conjecture of my imagination that made me feel better temporarily and after a while, the reality would sink in and I would feel my weight again. It was just horrible.

I decided on July 25th that I have to start cutting down carbs and start some physical activity from the 1st of August. But procrastinating isn't good, especially when it concerns your health. But still, I decided, for some reason and somehow that August 1st was the date.

On July 27th, my roommate walked up to me and said "Yo, what are you doing today?". I gave him the usual answer, "Just chilling and Netflix, what about you?". He then said, " Look, you were telling me you wanted to get fit, why don't you come to the gym with me today, we'll get you registered, you have a 7 day free trial. There's no better day than today - do you have a really good reason not to come today? ". I thought about it for a while and then I said, "Let's do it. This is it. I'm gonna tag along, let's see what this is all about! ".

I went to the gym with him, I registered for the free trial, and went upstairs. He said he was going to practice boxing that day but he'll guide me on what to do. It was very intimidating - there were a lot of fit people, some muscular, some athletic, fit nonetheless. I've always had a low self-esteem and was always ashamed of the way I looked.This just stirred me up and my anxiety kicked in.They were just regular people, like me. I thought, if they can do it, I can do it too. It was at that moment that I decided - I'm gonna transform myself and things are going to change. I felt that - the vigor, that burning desire in me surface. I was finally at the gym - I didn't have to fantasize anymore. I can do something tangible to bring about a change in myself in real life.

The first day was hellish - after some simple stretching, he made me squat-run-repeat. I almost cried because my body was not used to this kind of exercise and I was in pain. But I did it. Every second I was hurting, I told myself - This is temporary, this will go away and I kept running and squatting. I did that for about 30-40 minutes and then I wanted some rest. He taught me how to stretch properly and it's importance. I did the same routine for a few more days.

Also, during this time, I decided to go on a keto diet. I trashed everything that contained carbs - especially rice. Bought olive oil for cooking, put some eggs in the fridge. Started eating healthy - I eat out mostly so I had to make drastic changes to my diet - I pick my lunch only after scrutiny. I decided to keep my carb intake less than 20g a day. No rice, no pastas, no fries, no deep fried stuff, nothing with respectable amount of carbs.

Fast forward a few days, on August 5th, I was so excited to step on the scale to see how I fared. My weight had dropped from 91.6 to 88.5 kg (195 pounds); I had lost 3.1kg (6.8 pounds). I was gleaming with joy and a sense of accomplishment! I said to myself, "Wow, you finally did it! You ACTUALLY did it!". It was MY moment, it was a Eureka! moment for me! I profusely thanked my friend, who was also there and was congratulating me on my accomplishment.

I slowly started doing some cardio on the elliptical in the gym. I remember, when I attempted (half-hearted and hopeless attempt) to lose weight a few years back, I could not get pass the 3 minute mark on the elliptical. I was so ashamed because people that were so much older than me used to outpace me and were extremely fit and were able to efficiently workout for decent amount of time. But I did not get that thought get in the way - I set a target of 15 minutes on the elliptical and I said to myself that whatever happens, I'm not getting off that machine until I finish that 15 minute workout. I started and at around minute 7, I started feeling it - the burning sensation in my legs. I wanted to stop and just go back home and sleep but I didn't do that. I kept going. I met the goal - 15 minutes of cardio, non-stop! Back then and even now, when I feel I want to give up before the set goal is met or decrease the number of reps I decided to do before I started the set - I think about why I started all this - get fit, get ripped! That gives me the push.

Again, fast forward to September 15th, I stepped on the scale again. The number I saw there blew me away. I weighed in at 80kg (176.37 pounds). I had lost another 8.5 kg (18.63 pounds). I was amazed at the result - I wanted to do more, keep going! I was still on keto and around this time I started weight training too. Started small with a 30 pound shoulder press and a 10 pound dumbbell for working my biceps. Again, I used to feel the burning sensation in the part that I'm working on but I ignored it, kept going.

I slowly kept increasing my cardio duration, increasing weights and working out more body parts (arms - biceps and triceps, shoulder, legs, chest and core). I kept doing this and fast forward to the present day - Yesterday, I weighed at 71.3kg (157 pounds). I have lost 20.3kg or 44.7pounds in under 4 months. Now, I can workout my legs with 40 pounds on the barbell (on the Smith's machine) but lesser weights when free squatting with barbell, 70 pounds for biceps and triceps and 90 pounds for my shoulder press. I consistently do 28 minutes of high intensity cardio on the open stride elliptical (Once in 2 weeks, I do a 33 minute - 2 minutes rest - 33 minutes - A total of 66 minutes cardio). Looking back, I went from not being able to do 3 minute cardio to 66 minutes. I haven't felt better in my life, ever!

The amount of self confidence you get when you go from fat to fit is unbelievable! As self-esteem and self worth grow, you are more confident and overall, you feel like you matter.

Now, I'm not claiming I'm super fit now but I can safely say I'm fit COMPARED to the person I was before this transformation journey. I've now decided to decrease my cardio and concentrate more on weight training to gain muscle - be in good shape, literally. I've to concentrate on exercises working out my core too as the last bit of fat in my belly (and some around the chest) is still in me. In the process of getting rid of it and starting the next phase - getting ripped!

I would be glad to answer questions / help people out in case you want to hear advice from me.

Finally, I get to post my before and after photos - please see the attached before and after photos. Face has been blurred for privacy reasons.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by lamakjar; 11-24-2019 at 02:27 PM.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Impressive! Congrats on the great progress. Continue hitting the weights and you'll notice even MORE changes.

lamakjar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    Impressive! Congrats on the great progress. Continue hitting the weights and you'll notice even MORE changes.
    Thanks man, appreciate it!