jonathan4210 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Just doing bodyweight exercises with weighted vest any good?

I find I easily lose motivation when weight lifting using dumbbells and barbells, and when I try to push myself to lift heavy for strength. I personally enjoy more cardio-related workouts, like jumping jacks, squats, pushups, etc. Exercises that involve me moving and racing my heart rate gets me pumped, plus I do wanna feel more energetic and light. But yet I would also like SOME muscle. I dont really need to build 100% muscle to be the hulk, but having great conditioning and stamina while also having a good muscle tone is my goal. I dont wanna be too skinny and lose too much weight with this.

Can I focus on pure bodyweight exercises with the use of an adjustable weighted vest? I read that improper use of the vest can cause soreness and injury, but I would buy an adjustable vest and start with low weights and slowly increase. Only thing is that I dont see much bodyweight workouts for biceps or shoulders. I know theres tricep dips, exercises for chest, obviously plenty for legs, crunches for abs, but I’m worried that I can’t do a full body workout with this plan, IF this plan is even effective that is. I need feedback on this approach.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jonathan4210 View Post
    I find I easily lose motivation when weight lifting using dumbbells and barbells, and when I try to push myself to lift heavy for strength. I personally enjoy more cardio-related workouts, like jumping jacks, squats, pushups, etc. Exercises that involve me moving and racing my heart rate gets me pumped, plus I do wanna feel more energetic and light. But yet I would also like SOME muscle. I dont really need to build 100% muscle to be the hulk, but having great conditioning and stamina while also having a good muscle tone is my goal. I dont wanna be too skinny and lose too much weight with this.

Can I focus on pure bodyweight exercises with the use of an adjustable weighted vest? I read that improper use of the vest can cause soreness and injury, but I would buy an adjustable vest and start with low weights and slowly increase. Only thing is that I dont see much bodyweight workouts for biceps or shoulders. I know theres tricep dips, exercises for chest, obviously plenty for legs, crunches for abs, but I’m worried that I can’t do a full body workout with this plan, IF this plan is even effective that is. I need feedback on this approach.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk with this response...

You have (presumably based on your "easily lose motivation when weight lifting using dumbbells and barbells, and when I try to push myself to lift heavy for strength" statement) lifted weights, following a good program.

Sure you can build some muscle (do chin-ups to work biceps) "weighted" body weight routines. Google body weight workouts. Try it. see if you like the "returns". If you do, continue on. If not, you have to make a decision, I guess. Good luck.

12 pack > 6 pack PurmaBulker1984's Avatar
    PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Can be done. Probably harder than lifting weights l. Both in level of effort and time till results.
    160 lbs and jacked is about as impressive as D cups on a 300lb woman

WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I bench pressed 185 for several reps after bootcamp. The most I've ever done. I got that way by doing bodyweight exercises wearing body armor weighing about 50 pounds. Of course we did them basically all day for 3 months, so idk how efficient it is

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by WakingOp View Post
    I bench pressed 185 for several reps after bootcamp. The most I've ever done. I got that way by doing bodyweight exercises wearing body armor weighing about 50 pounds. Of course we did them basically all day for 3 months, so idk how efficient it is
    Doing pullups with a 50 pound vest is one thing. Doing jumping jacks with a 50 pound vest is just stupid.

WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50) WakingOp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Doing pullups with a 50 pound vest is one thing. Doing jumping jacks with a 50 pound vest is just stupid.
    Yeah we did that too. We basically lived in the things. There favorites were pushups and mountain climbers. And something along the lines of Turkish get ups. Can't remember the name. We even went on 2 mile or so runs in them pretty frequently. Oh and wall sits... that sucked, basically holding the bottom of a squat with the bar for idk, several minutes

To be fair though, we're weren't exactly strength training.

I don’t have a bar to do chin ups, but for biceps I could do bicep curls with dumbbells. I don’t mind using dumbbells for lifting, but I would want at least 3/4 of my workouts focused on bodyweight exercises. Can anyone give recommendations of bodyweight exercises for each muscle group? I didn’t think weighted jumping jacks would be stupid for example

Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by PurmaBulker1984 View Post
    Can be done. Probably harder than lifting weights l. Both in level of effort and time till results.
    Sure, but the results can be absolutely sick if you stick with it.

In addition to a compound lifts, I’ll throw in kettlebells, pushups, pull-ups and dips to round out my overall regiment.

Craziest thing is my arms really started to grow as soon as I stopped doing curls/tri ext.

My answer is yes, you can definitely put on solid muscle if stick to body weight exercises with a weighted vest. Stay consistent, Use your intuition, you’re not he right track op
    Controlled Labs- White Flash Log

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175716801

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A combination is more ideal, as most weighted calisthenics end up becoming more muscular endurance than strength after a while. Throw around a barbell for strength, then use the weighted calisthenics for fun. I use a weighted backpack for many movements.

Originally Posted by GrouchyUSMC View Post
    A combination is more ideal, as most weighted calisthenics end up becoming more muscular endurance than strength after a while. Throw around a barbell for strength, then use the weighted calisthenics for fun. I use a weighted backpack for many movements.
    Yeah, I started making a plan and noticed that most of the calisthenics exercises work the leg muscles, chest, and triceps. Would it be weird if I do the remaining muscles (biceps, back, shoulders) using weights? Cause its like im focusing on calisthenics for some muscles, and weights for the other muscles. Its not like im doing both per muscle group.

Will that hurt my body formation?

GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I personally focus on full body with barbells, then use weighted calisthenics as accessory work if you could call it that.

But can it work, if I dedicate some muscle groups to only weighted calisthenics, and other muscle groups to only weights?

But can it work, if I dedicate some muscle groups to only weighted calisthenics, and other muscle groups to only weights?
    Sure but you’d need to focus on the really major ones. Dips and pull ups for the upper body for example.

Yeah, I started making a plan and noticed that most of the calisthenics exercises work the leg muscles, chest, and triceps. Would it be weird if I do the remaining muscles (biceps, back, shoulders) using weights? Cause its like im focusing on calisthenics for some muscles, and weights for the other muscles. Its not like im doing both per muscle group.

Will that hurt my body formation?
    Chinups and handstand pushups? Use a wall of course so you don't fall and die

Chinups and handstand pushups? Use a wall of course so you don't fall and die
    But wouldn’t I need a bar thats firmly attached to the ceiling? How does just using a wall work?

But wouldn’t I need a bar thats firmly attached to the ceiling? How does just using a wall work?
    The wall was for your feet on the pushups.

Yeah, you would need a bar. Get one that hangs on your doorframe, they're only around 20 dollars, and not actually attached. Or you could do inverted rows on a table

The wall was for your feet on the pushups.

Yeah, you would need a bar. Get one that hangs on your doorframe, they're only around 20 dollars, and not actually attached. Or you could do inverted rows on a table
    Thanks!

dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Crossfit /end
    Instagram - @dazlittle123

I made my own plan. Would like some feedback on it.

Here it is:

DAY 1:
    Jumping Jacks
    Push Ups
    Machine Bench Press
    Seated V Bar Row
    Dumbbell Lateral Raises
    Step Ups
    Jump Squats
    Crunches
    Leg Raises

DAY 2:
    Jumping Jacks
    Tricep Dips
    Hammer Curls
    Single Arm Bent Over Row
    Deadlift
    High Knees
    Lunges
    Bicycle Crunches
    V-Ups

DAY 3:
    Jumping Jacks
    Pike Push Ups
    Bent Over Barbell (or Dumbbell) Row
    Barbell Shoulder Press
    Wall Sit
    Burpees
    Knee Crunches
    Russian Twists

I want to know if 1) is this even good, but more importantly 2) is this covering all muscle groups? Like am I getting a balanced load for arms, chest, back, shoulders, legs, and abs?

Also since I want a bit more endurance than strength, I would do 2x15 sets/reps with minimal rest time (30-45 sec) for all exercises. Kind of like a circuit but with weights involved. I really want to make this work. ANY feedback or ways on how I can improve this further, please let me know! I tried getting feedback on the fitness reddit page, and I have been told that this plan is bad, but I didn’t get any constructive criticism. I really want this custom plan to work for me.