Registered User strong35yearold's Avatar
    strong35yearold is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fierce 5 intermediate U/L question

Hello everyone

I have been doing Fierce 5 beginner program for the past 16 months and it was great. I progressed really well and made magnificent strength gains

5'11 185lbs 35 years old

My lifts are
    Bench press 275lbs×5
    Overhead press 150 lbs×5
    Back Squat 355lbsx5
    Front squat 255 lbs×5

Lately I have stopped progressing and I want to move to the intermediate version U/L/U/L

However I didn't like the fact that I only bench press and overhead press once a week. I know there are incline and Flyes but the main reason I want to move to the intermediate one is to increase my strength in benching and Overhead pressing and I find it lame to do flyes ( I don't care about aesthetics)

Can I substitute flyes and incline press with bench press 3x5 and Overhead press 3x5 ?

The upper days will look like this

Upper A
    Bench 3x5
    OHP 3x5
    Lat Pulldowns 3x8 (any grip)
    Bent Over Rows 3x8
    Curls 3x10/Reverse Flies 3x12 Superset

Upper B
    OHP 3x5
    Bench press 3x5
    Pullups 3x8
    Pendlay Rows 3x8
    Face Pulls 3x12/Tricep pressdowns 3x10 Superset

Thanks guys

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by strong35yearold View Post
    Can I substitute flyes and incline press with bench press 3x5 and Overhead press 3x5 ?
    You can do whatever you want and see how your body responds, then adjust accordingly as necessary. Or you could just keep it as is and see if your BP/OHP strength improves before you make any changes.

Either way - don't overlook that the incline press can help increase both your flat BP and OHP. You may want to keep that one and just swap out the flyes if you're going to make changes, but up to you.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    My lifts are
    Bench press 275lbs×5
    Overhead press 150 lbs×5
    Back Squat 355lbsx5
    Front squat 255 lbs×5
    Pretty clear you know what works and what doesn't.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello everyone

I have been doing Fierce 5 beginner program for the past 16 months and it was great. I progressed really well and made magnificent strength gains

5'11 185lbs 35 years old

My lifts are
    Bench press 275lbs×5
    Overhead press 150 lbs×5
    Back Squat 355lbsx5
    Front squat 255 lbs×5
    Was that a typo? 16 months on Fierce 5?! Great numbers, BTW!

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would still use variations, just closer ones specific to your goals.

So close grip, or a 2 to 3 count pause bench as assistance, in place of flys.

DB overhead, or push press, or just a different rep scheme for ohp than 3x5 both times
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You can do whatever you want and see how your body responds, then adjust accordingly as necessary. Or you could just keep it as is and see if your BP/OHP strength improves before you make any changes.

Either way - don't overlook that the incline press can help increase both your flat BP and OHP. You may want to keep that one and just swap out the flyes if you're going to make changes, but up to you.
    Thanks for the advice. I will consider keeping the incline press or alternating it with the added Overhead press on weekly basis

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Pretty clear you know what works and what doesn't.
    My lifts may be strong-ish, but I really don't have too much knowledge and any advice from more knowledgeable/experienced person would be appreciated

Originally Posted by LifterWest View Post
    Was that a typo? 16 months on Fierce 5?! Great numbers, BTW!
    Not a typo. I did some modifications to run the program for a longer time because I liked the excercise selection and it was working for me. The 16 month period includes 2 months where I did a cut while being on the program.

I also stopped progressing for a while so the actual effective duration of the program was slightly less.

Thanks for the complement
    Last edited by strong35yearold; 11-22-2019 at 08:45 PM.

paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not a typo. I did some modifications to run the program for a longer time because I liked the excercise selection and it was working for me. The 16 month period includes 2 months where I did a cut while being on the program.

I also stopped progressing for a while so the actual effective duration of the program was slightly less.

Thanks for the complement
    You are one of the smarter people with less than 5 posts that post on here. Most people with less than 5 are pretty clueless and don't want to listen to advice.

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    I would still use variations, just closer ones specific to your goals.

So close grip, or a 2 to 3 count pause bench as assistance, in place of flys.

DB overhead, or push press, or just a different rep scheme for ohp than 3x5 both times
    Do you think I will progress better on my 5 rep bench press and 5x overhead press if my workout days were
    like this
    Workout A bench 3x5 ohp 3×5 workout B bench 3x8 ohp 3x8
    (Instead of benching and ohp 3x5 twice a week)?

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    You are one of the smarter people with less than 5 posts that post on here. Most people with less than 5 are pretty clueless and don't want to listen to advice.
    Thanks Paul