Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    Now how can BBJ be an excuse NOT to squat? IMO if you're not squatting you're not being the best fighter. I told you, it's cookie cutter stuff.

BBJ was a nice little "show" (for money) put on by the Gracie's in the 90's where they selected the contestants and knew their "boy" was gonna win.

.....not saying it's garbage, still good stuff, but don't agree with not squatting.
    Because I still do deadlifts, farmers, leg presses, SSB squats ect. Not to mention rolling live rounds 5 days a week is pretty taxing.

I've done my share of squats w/vids to prove it (repping weight you'll never see as a 1RM). You?

And if you think BJJ is a "little show" feel free to walk into any BJJ school and ask them to roll with a white belt. All the squats in the world won't save you. And thats just a white belt. Imagine what someone training for 10 years would do to you.
    Last edited by Jtbny; 11-25-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    ☻/
    /▌ Dm2dm crew (---Deadlift Moar to Deadlift Moar---)
    / \ 

"Squat and pull and quit listening to the static." Jim Wendler
    Natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from. ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็

LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ha, well thank goodness your deadlifting at least, not sure what leg presses will do but at least ya deadlifting.

Yes of course I’ve seen your vids and your wrong I will see those weights if not already, you should at least be realistic. One thing since your talking down to me I don’t wear a bunch duct tape all over my body when I lift.

I knew you would miss read my post, it’s not shocking from corresponding to common thinking.

Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Ha, well thank goodness your deadlifting at least, not sure what leg presses will do but at least ya deadlifting.

Yes of course I’ve seen your vids and your wrong I will see those weights if not already, you should at least be realistic. One thing since your talking down to me I don’t wear a bunch duct tape all over my body when I lift.

I knew you would miss read my post, it’s not shocking from corresponding to common thinking.
    Leg presses will help keep my legs reasonably strong while saving my lower back. I also reverse hyper twice a week /shrug

I'm not talking down to you at all. I asked to see a recent vid, or any vid of YOU squatting. My guess is you won't provide anything but will still preach nonsense like ITT. No doubt you lift and have done so for years. That's why it's surprising to read your gibberish here about never using belt/straps. If you're using a belt properly you'd know that it in no way limits your ability to build that "internal belt" you mention. And grip strength shouldn't be a limiting factor either. You can continue to build grip strength while also using straps for your heaviest sets. Nonsense, do better.
    ☻/
    /▌ Dm2dm crew (---Deadlift Moar to Deadlift Moar---)
    / \ 

"Squat and pull and quit listening to the static." Jim Wendler
    Natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from. ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็

LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    None of us are even close to world class, I was close in the dwarf division, so then what the phuck do I care what a great coach does?

We (you, eldron, and even ID) will never be world class, OP isn't even worthy of mopping the floor in that environment. Why the phuck would I do what they do, I'll still never help me.

No,No, to "Monkey see, Monkey do".

In Witness Protection mtpockets's Avatar
    mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by x-trainer ben View Post
    Ok just relate it to Belts and weight lifting!!!!

Mr. What you want when you want where you want;never in it so no need to get over it.

Who the hell died and made you a moderator?

here's a belt post for ya, maybe a bit below the belt actually,

Kiss my ass!
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999

Real Heroes don't wear capes.

Keep your squats low and standards high.

x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    Who the hell died and made you a moderator?

here's a belt post for ya, maybe a bit below the belt actually,

Kiss my ass!
    No one, i was joking with you because it seemed you were fired up for no reason that i could see.
    Not gay, so i will pass on the ass, lol
    Nah Psyops doesn't work on me.
    The easiest way to tell when an argument has no merit is when the protagonist mixes in some personal insults.

In Witness Protection mtpockets's Avatar
    mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mtpockets has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by x-trainer ben View Post
    No one, i was joking with you because it seemed you were fired up for no reason that i could see.
    Not gay, so i will pass on the ass, lol

ha ha... Nope wasn't fired up at all, but I thought you were serious lol.... Ok, now that we sorted that out, back to your regular programming!
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999

Real Heroes don't wear capes.

Keep your squats low and standards high.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Kum-bai-yah, m’Lord, Kum-bai-yah...
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    You may be a Jedi Knight, but it's a good thing you aren't a weight lifting coach. Your advice is wrong, as usual.

Hey El, I don't want to be a dickhead and sometimes I feel like one, BUT RE-READ the OP original post.

He asked when is there a time they are NEEDED?

The NEED for them could be different for everyone, but the OP said he had no issues with back and grip.

There is NO written weight when straps and belts are NEEDED. Some (many) world class Olympic lifters never lift with a belt, and they are competitors so they will from time to time. Straps is another animal with O lifters (keeps the thumb from getting beatup), but generally power lifters don't use them.

Now I don't feel like such a jerk.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey El, I don't want to be a dickhead and sometimes I feel like one, BUT RE-READ the OP original post.

He asked when is there a time they are NEEDED?

The NEED for them could be different for everyone, but the OP said he had no issues with back and grip.

There is NO written weight when straps and belts are NEEDED. Some (many) world class Olympic lifters never lift with a belt, and they are competitors so they will from time to time. Straps is another animal with O lifters (keeps the thumb from getting beatup), but generally power lifters don't use them.

Now I don't feel like such a jerk.
    That's all well and good, LWW, and I'm glad you don't feel like a jerk, because you usally aren't. However, what I was responding to was not the OP, but your own post, where you said

NEVER!

If you "feel" you need a belt, then well, I'd suggest not to lift that day.
    However you slice it, that's simply bad advice.

The OP may have no issues with back and grip now, but that could change, either as he lifts heavier or as he feels he needs a more secure core. The article I linked to specifically pointed out that most people can lift heavier with a belt. In my own experience, I've had to deal with a hand injury that significantly reduced my grip strength. Should I have not lifted until my hand was healed? That took a few months. No, I went to straps, and kept right on going without reducing my back and shoulder intensity.

There are plenty of reasons for a person to decide he or she "needs" a belt for a particular lift, and the belts exist to be used. They don't hurt, they help.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks OP, you've started one of the best FIGHT threads we've had for ages

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    That's all well and good, LWW, and I'm glad you don't feel like a jerk, because you usally aren't. However, what I was responding to was not the OP, but your own post, where you said

However you slice it, that's simply bad advice.

The OP may have no issues with back and grip now, but that could change, either as he lifts heavier or as he feels he needs a more secure core. The article I linked to specifically pointed out that most people can lift heavier with a belt. In my own experience, I've had to deal with a hand injury that significantly reduced my grip strength. Should I have not lifted until my hand was healed? That took a few months. No, I went to straps, and kept right on going without reducing my back and shoulder intensity.

No, it's just advice you don't agree with.

A. rest days are good, if the back is beat up.

B. In you're hand injury, I would have used lighter weights for higher reps which can aide in healing the injuries.

People are scared to use too light a weight for higher reps, it took a great coach to (by surprise) force me to squat a very light weight for many reps to learn what that does. That coach used straps himself, but he knew what he was doing, hence "thinking for yourself".

Just FYI, (cool story) That coaches foster son is now the Offensive coordinator for the hottest NFL team lately, if you're an oldtime strength person then you'd of seen pictures of him being trained by his foster father in old MILO and other Strength mags. I saw a vid of him squatting over 500 x like 22 reps.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No, it's just advice you don't agree with.

A. rest days are good, if the back is beat up.

B. In you're hand injury, I would have used lighter weights for higher reps which can aide in healing the injuries.

People are scared to use too light a weight for higher reps, it took a great coach to (by surprise) force me to squat a very light weight for many reps to learn what that does. That coach used straps himself, but he knew what he was doing, hence "thinking for yourself".

Just FYI, (cool story) That coaches foster son is now the Offensive coordinator for the hottest NFL team lately, if you're an oldtime strength person then you'd of seen pictures of him being trained by his foster father in old MILO and other Strength mags. I saw a vid of him squatting over 500 x like 22 reps.
    A light weight for many reps can make you weaker and slower. Contrary to my goals atm anyway.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You really wont ever need them. Unless of course you have been naughty.

Are you trying to tell us you have been a bad boy?
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    A light weight for many reps can make you weaker and slower. Contrary to my goals atm anyway.

Well so can "over training", but then again all one needs to do then is rest.

I don't what your goals are but incorporating higher reps does build strength and improves mobility, and aides in faster recovery, and boasts test levels, they also increase appetite so you'll need to eat alot, they will also make you tougher.

I'm currently incorporating higher and higher reps, using lighter weights and I'm getting faster and faster, I'm also still using some lower reps as well.

The coach who had me squat 155 for as many reps as I could did that with everyone he trained. I immediately became leaner and faster, I didn't do THAT every week though.

When you say "you" if you're referring to "you", you might of done something wrong. If "you" means "people", well that coach/trainer certainly proves that wrong because like I said above, he did this with everyone.

Higher reps, and with proper recovery can be increased more than lower reps, meaning it's more productive and attainable to beat your last set of 24 reps by at least 1 more rep than you're last set of 5-8 near max reps.

If anything the higher reps will aide to blow through a plateau of 5-8 reps.
    Last edited by LWW; 11-28-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Disappear for a week and someone lets all the kiddies out of their cribs. What have you children been up to in here???
    My Candito Linear log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177212011&p=1581528721#post1581528721

My Fierce 5 Novice log (deprecated): https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175702561&p=1550387651#post1550387651

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well so can "over training", but then again all one needs to do then is rest.

I don't what your goals are but incorporating higher reps does build strength and improves mobility, and aides in faster recovery, and boasts test levels, they also increase appetite so you'll need to eat alot, they will also make you tougher.

I'm currently incorporating higher and higher reps, using lighter weights and I'm getting faster and faster, I'm also still using some lower reps as well.

The coach who had me squat 155 for as many reps as I could did that with everyone he trained. I immediately became leaner and faster, I didn't do THAT every week though.

When you say "you" if you're referring to "you", you might of done something wrong. If "you" means "people", well that coach/trainer certainly proves that wrong because like I said above, he did this with everyone.

Higher reps, and with proper recovery can be increased more than lower reps, meaning it's more productive and attainable to beat your last set of 24 reps by at least 1 more rep than you're last set of 5-8 near max reps.

If anything the higher reps will aide to blow through a plateau of 5-8 reps.
    I'm learning how to Olympic lift. I have plenty of strength for the low weight I'm learning with. My issue is being atoo slow.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Dann74 View Post
    I’m 45 been lifting a year and trying to get up to 2x body weight for 5 x3 or 4.

I’m up to 330lbs and need to get to 375. I really didn’t want to get a belt or straps because I want to increase my grip and I’m keen on strengthening my back. Is there a point where you need to get a belt.

My limitation at the moment isn’t my grip or back but breathing and oxygen.
    There's no set rule. One coach (I want to say Alan Thrall) said that he recommends beginners to order one as soon as they start because it may take a few weeks for the belt to get to you (if you order from quality places like Best Belts, Titan or Bob's. Pioneer will get there faster)

Anecdotally speaking.....I probably started using a belt earlier than most may recommend. But my unbelted squats have gone up as well so it likely won't hinder you if you belt up early.

As far as breathing and oxygen being a limitation, make sure you're doing the Valsalva correctly. When I first learned that the Valsalva was the way powerlifters brace, I would get light headed but after a while I got use to it.