Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dann74 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

When do I need a belt or straps?

I’m 45 been lifting a year and trying to get up to 2x body weight for 5 x3 or 4.

I’m up to 330lbs and need to get to 375. I really didn’t want to get a belt or straps because I want to increase my grip and I’m keen on strengthening my back. Is there a point where you need to get a belt.

My limitation at the moment isn’t my grip or back but breathing and oxygen.

HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Never.

If your limit is breathing and oxygen, go for a 30' walk every day.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would rather see someone pulling double overhand with straps than suffer a biceps injury.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Dann74 View Post
    I’m 45 been lifting a year and trying to get up to 2x body weight for 5 x3 or 4.

I’m up to 330lbs and need to get to 375. I really didn’t want to get a belt or straps because I want to increase my grip and I’m keen on strengthening my back. Is there a point where you need to get a belt.

Strap up when your grip fails to the point it interferes with your back training. You can train your grip another time in many ways not at the expense of your back training.
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I started using a belt / straps this year, after about a year of lifting (I’m 40). Not all the time, just on my heaviest work sets. For me, that’s pulling 150kg or so off the floor, same general area as you. There’s nothing wrong with doing so - I want my grip trained too, but the straps help work the posterior chain when the grip has hit its limits.

This suggests to me that you should do more cardio. I’ve been a runner for a dozen years or so before I started seriously lifting, and have a friggin fantastic cardiovascular system (was so happy when the doc diagnosed me with “athlete’s heart” - lol), but I know a lot of lifters tend to ignore that aspect of it. Here’s a great article by Greg Nuckols on the topic.

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/av...ding-you-back/
    My home gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1623181551&viewfull=1#post1623181551

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

Dann74 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I run half marathons I’m aerobically fit. It’s more I hold my breath in the movement too much and forget to take in enough air at the bottom. I think I need to watch someone who knows what they are doing my gym just doesn’t have many people lifting a lot to watch. I never feel anything in my biceps from it. I guess I’ll try straps soon if I can’t get further not sure I like the sound of a bicep tear.

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I run half marathons I’m aerobically fit. It’s more I hold my breath in the movement too much and forget to take in enough air at the bottom. I think I need to watch someone who knows what they are doing my gym just doesn’t have many people lifting a lot to watch. I never feel anything in my biceps from it. I guess I’ll try straps soon if I can’t get further not sure I like the sound of a bicep tear.
    Fair enough. In that case, I’d suggest watching Brian Alsruhe’s youtube videos about breathing and bracing. He has some that talk about the concept generically, and some that are specific to the lift of your choice. They’re all amazingly helpful.
    My home gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1623181551&viewfull=1#post1623181551

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    When grip limits you, use chalk as next step (before going for straps or mixed grip). Chalk works wonders. You can get liquid version in a convenient tube or little squeezy bottle to go in gym bag. It doesn't have to be block or powder version. FWIW... probably because I'm a skinny-wristed wimp, I find straps painful.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    I find straps painful.

Yeah, I haven't used straps since I discovered Versa grips many years ago

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    After watching a bunch of Clarence Kennedy videos I've decided to Ditch the belt, reset the weights a bit and just build up without. I feel for atg high bar the belt is limiting. Ofc my focus lately is learning Olympic lifting so a different animal than power lifting.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    Yeah, I haven't used straps since I discovered Versa grips many years ago

I recently started using Cobra grips, which are similar. Big difference from either straps or raw.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    NEVER!

If you "feel" you need a belt, then well, I'd suggest not to lift that day.

As for grip, well, us Jedi's have learned through the "force" to make that connection to grip and back.

As for cardio, well, I'd suggest working high rep squats, nothing beats it, not even running. I'm a Jedi night and have learned the ways of the force, there are very few jedi's in the universe who know how to truly do "high rep squats".

ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    NEVER!

As for grip, well, us Jedi's have learned through the "force" to make that connection to grip and back.

As for cardio, well, I'd suggest working high rep squats, nothing beats it, not even running. I'm a Jedi night and have learned the ways of the force, there are very few jedi's in the universe who know how to truly do "high rep squats".
    You may be a Jedi Knight, but it's a good thing you aren't a weight lifting coach. Your advice is wrong, as usual.
    -Voltaire

LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    You may be a Jedi Knight, but it's a good thing you aren't a weight lifting coach. Your advice is wrong, as usual.

Give me a break, I've rubbed elbows with the best coaches in history. Who do you know in the "irongame"??????

I recently started using Cobra grips, which are similar. Big difference from either straps or raw.
    I haven't used the cobra's, but I imagine they are very similar. The versa grips were a game changer for me, I am prone to some real bad bouts of elbow tendinitis. Pullups aggravated it. The grips really helped me in this area as well.

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I haven't used the cobra's, but I imagine they are very similar. The versa grips were a game changer for me, I am prone to some real bad bouts of elbow tendinitis. Pullups aggravated it. The grips really helped me in this area as well.
    Exactly! I have not had issues with tendinitis but I use the cobra grips to be proactive. I have never had pain on the inside of my elbow but have had some numbness. That was enough to convince me to buy the grips because I have heard it can be a nightmare to get rid of one you do get the tendinitis.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

Give me a break, I've rubbed elbows with the best coaches in history. Who do you know in the "irongame"??????
    And how many of those coaches refuse to let their competitors wear belts?

Are you aware that a belt actually increases the activation of abdominal muscles during a lift?

I suspect it's not your elbows you should be focusing on.
    -Voltaire

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Here is 1 mans answer and here are 2 articles to read.

"When Should I Use a Weightlifting Belt?
    It’s recommended to use a weightlifting belt at and above 80% of your one-rep max but using it for lighter training is not recommended."

https://fitnessvolt.com/weightlifting-belts-review/

https://fitnessvolt.com/21303/my-way...s-good-or-bad/
    There is an unspoken thing, we are iron brothers and sisters, we are to support each other and...It is our duty to support our brothers and sisters in the iron game!

Originally Posted by x-trainer ben View Post
    Here is 1 mans answer and here are 2 articles to read.

"When Should I Use a Weightlifting Belt?
    It’s recommended to use a weightlifting belt at and above 80% of your one-rep max but using it for lighter training is not recommended."

https://fitnessvolt.com/weightlifting-belts-review/

https://fitnessvolt.com/21303/my-way...s-good-or-bad/
    Another take from Greg Nuckols:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-belt-bible/

"For the life of me, I can’t figure out a good reason (physiologically) someone shouldn’t start using a belt whenever the hell they want to. "

He does nuance that a little later:

"Personally, I’d recommend training 70/30 or 80/20 beltless your first few months in the gym, gradually transitioning to the opposite ratio as you become more experienced."
    -Voltaire

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Another take from Greg Nuckols:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-belt-bible/

"For the life of me, I can’t figure out a good reason (physiologically) someone shouldn’t start using a belt whenever the hell they want to. "

He does nuance that a little later:

"Personally, I’d recommend training 70/30 or 80/20 beltless your first few months in the gym, gradually transitioning to the opposite ratio as you become more experienced."
    thanks, will read
    There is an unspoken thing, we are iron brothers and sisters, we are to support each other and...It is our duty to support our brothers and sisters in the iron game!

And how many of those coaches refuse to let their competitors wear belts?

Are you aware that a belt actually increases the activation of abdominal muscles during a lift?

This is not about coaches refusing, the best coaches are the ones who teach their trainees how to think for themselves.

There is also something called building an internal belt which is far more valuable.

I don’t know who you’re talking in your last sentence, I assume not me because others are talking about elbows. If I’m wrong though, well my focus is what will make me the 1percent.

Give me a break, I've rubbed elbows with the best coaches in history.

I don’t know who you’re talking in your last sentence, I assume not me because others are talking about elbows.

Are you that Fuk'n stupid that you forget the lies you tell.... You mentioned Elbows
    Last edited by mtpockets; 11-24-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Can the adults in the room get back to Belt talk, and save the personal for your mother in law.

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Wow... Are you guys getting practice in early for those family arguments over Christmas?

You guys are going to be GOOD by end of December. When your mother in law makes a cutting comment, this year she might regret it
    Originally Posted by x-trainer ben View Post
    Can the adults in the room get back to Belt talk, and save the personal for your mother in law.

Sorry Ladies, but I'll say what I want, when I want and where I want. Get over it!

Merry Xmas

Sorry Ladies, but I'll say what I want, when I want and where I want. Get over it!

Merry Xmas
    Ok just relate it to Belts and weight lifting!!!!

Mr. What you want when you want where you want;never in it so no need to get over it.

taking March-No-Post pilz weiss1967's Avatar
    weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    trying to get up to 2x body weight for 5 x3 or 4.

at such low reps, you are completely unaerobic. Oxygen cannot be your limit. You can even hold your breath through the whole thing, a lot of people do, subcounciously.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I can't advise other people, but I have been in the gym for many years. For me, it is all about self-preservation, so I use a belt for all sets for squats and hack squats. The belt support my gut and it just seems logical to protect against a hernia. I had one and don't want another one. Still, there is no guarantee against a hernia, but it does IMO reduce the risk.

Again, I can only speak for myself.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Merry Xmas
    And please pass the dressing!
    -Voltaire

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    NEVER!

Oh stop...

I'll be your Huckleberry.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Oh stop...

I'll be your Huckleberry.

Now how can BBJ be an excuse NOT to squat? IMO if you're not squatting you're not being the best fighter. I told you, it's cookie cutter stuff.

BBJ was a nice little "show" (for money) put on by the Gracie's in the 90's where they selected the contestants and knew their "boy" was gonna win.

.....not saying it's garbage, still good stuff, but don't agree with not squatting.