MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Getting stuck 2"s off chest in bench press

on max effort bench press, i am getting stuck about the 2 to 3" off my chest.

is that a CHEST muscle or Triceps muscle thats lacking?

im looking for exercises to help get me over that hurtle.

also, this is at 225, a PR weight attempt. so not super heavy for most of you guys.

thanks,

EDIT: added word "attempt"
    Last edited by MalachiB1; 11-22-2019 at 08:09 AM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you can't lift it back up it's not a PR - anyone can bring a bar down to their chest off the rack. Why would you necessarily attribute this to either just the chest or triceps alone?

Regardless, why not lift at lower weights that you can lift back up to build up strength then go for 225 when you are ready? You may also find other variations (such as db BP) to help as well.

WhySoCerberus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhySoCerberus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhySoCerberus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhySoCerberus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhySoCerberus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhySoCerberus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhySoCerberus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhySoCerberus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhySoCerberus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhySoCerberus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WhySoCerberus is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Overly simplistic but closer to the chest it’s Chest and closer to lockout it’s triceps.

Post up a video if you want a form critique
    B/S/D: 200/340/360
    BW: 160

There is only one rule: Never give up

BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Could be chest, triceps, or front of shoulders. If you worked on technique, you might be able to get more explosive off your chest and power through. However, you are too weak to worry about sticking points. Pick a workout program you like, that has you benching twice a week, and work that program as hard as you can. If your nutrition and program are right, then in 6 months, 225 won't be that hard anymore.

MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    If you can't lift it back up it's not a PR - anyone can bring a bar down to their chest off the rack. Why would you necessarily attribute this to either just the chest or triceps alone?

Regardless, why not lift at lower weights that you can lift back up to build up strength then go for 225 when you are ready? You may also find other variations (such as db BP) to help as well.
    Originally Posted by WhySoCerberus View Post
    Overly simplistic but closer to the chest it’s Chest and closer to lockout it’s triceps.

Post up a video if you want a form critique
    Originally Posted by BromanianDL View Post
    Could be chest, triceps, or front of shoulders. If you worked on technique, you might be able to get more explosive off your chest and power through. However, you are too weak to worry about sticking points. Pick a workout program you like, that has you benching twice a week, and work that program as hard as you can. If your nutrition and program are right, then in 6 months, 225 won't be that hard anymore.

all good advice guys. iv been running MadCow for a while now. all of October was PR for me, weeks 5, 6, 7 8 in the program. i was planning on resetting just because i was absolutely drained from added 5 pounds every week to "the big 3".

and so i decided to do some 1 rep maxes. for Bench, on monday i did 215 for 5, so that friday i did some warm up and attempted 225 but failed. BUT, just the fact that i was able to get it off the rack was exciting for me, seeing as how 4 years ago i almost died attempting 175 (funny story)

with all that being said, im on my reset this month and today will be 210 for 3, then the drop set.

roger that, ill just keep at it and push through.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    raw bench is hardest off the chest, and unless technique is really off, always will be
    The fact you are getting stuck 2-3inches off chest means your actual weak point where the bar starts to slow is right off the chest.

I just recommend more bench, 2 count pause bench and varying grips especially close grip bench
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Board press might help.

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-board-press

Though I'd say just use lighter weights and work back up, which is where you are already headed.

Pause is also a good idea. Micro-loading could help too.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The thing that helped me most when i powerlifter was paused bench presses.
    It takes some of the stretch reflex out of the lift and makes those pushing muscles have to work harder.
    I just got in the habit of pausing on all sets and reps including warm ups.
    I never stapled with a BP on my chest at a meet and it was like second nature as a powerlifting BP requires a pause.
    As mentioned also a one or two board BP could help but i would pause those also.
    Working on the muscles that help the BP is important also.
    In this case delts front and rear and upper back/lats.
    If you have good back muscle you bring the bar down and load them up like coiling a springs(contracting everything together)then blast off from the bottom.
    Strong triceps can help but usually more for the lockout from half way to full extension.

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Floor press

jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MalachiB1 View Post

also, this is at 225, a PR weight attempt. so not super heavy for most of you guys.

thanks,

I agree with one other poster about a board press. One of The world record holders for benchpress does not come all the way down to his chest when training, Eric Spoto. There even called Spoto Press. He pauses at about 2 to 3 inches and then goes for the upward motion. I do this and feel I am working my chest better than the full range to touch chest.

https://youtu.be/CoQSqnn5GME
    Last edited by jdesey; 11-30-2019 at 09:51 PM.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your failing point is where most ungeared lifters fail.

You dont need to focus on speciality lifts as you need to keep on pressing, building chest, tricep, and deltoid strength.

Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000) Montymaginn is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by MalachiB1 View Post

thanks,

pin press is great excercise to break through this point.

dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000)
    95% of people fail right off the chest or just above it

it just means you need to bench more and get stronger

incorporating a split second to a second pause on all of your bench work will also help you explode off the chest. You don't need any special exercises. Just get stronger everywhere, chest, triceps, shoulders, lats, upper back.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just remember, geared lifters get a lot more out of board presses than you will. Their suits are so tight they cant even get an empty bar to touch their chest.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Montymaginn View Post
    pin press is great excercise to break through this point.
    Sure but only if it is a chest level pin.

All the recommendations for overload and high sticking point work when OPs weakness is directly on the chest is crazy.

Think people have forgotten or never realised that a sticking point indicates a weakness 2 to 3 inches below that point...
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee