pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz

Question Thoughts on investment apps like Acorns, Robinhood, Stash and others

I remember back when PayPal used to act like a money market account and invest your money so you would get an interest on it. So, when I went back to PayPal recently, I noticed they had a feature that said "Invest in Acorns!". So, I thought I would try it out. I just put $20 and choose the feature that allows for moderate risk and fast returns.

Basically, from what I can tell, it seems like a pretty solid system. They have an SEC filing and appear to be run by a pretty solid fund manager through Vanguard.

Basically, what you can do is automatically withdrawal money from your savings account and plop it into Acorns every month, or do what they call "round ups". You link a card to your account and it rounds up the charge to the nearest dollar and invests whatever change you had left over. So, it seems like a slow way to make any decent returns and is more for the long term. There are also a lot of companies affiliated with them, and if you install their browser plugin you can get cashback from the sites and it will go into Acorn.

If anyone wants to try it out, you can use my referral link and I get $5. Acorns Investment App

However, I haven't heard much about Stash and Robinhood, so I wanted to get other peoples opinions on these and similar services.
    I don't neg/infract/ban if you disagree with me in a civil discussion on any topic. ☮️
    Old blog, articles are still good even though many URLs are broken: http://pogue972.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on Twitter! I post lots of interesting stuff: https://twitter.com/pogue25 🐤
    I prefer email or Twitter for contact. However, you can PM me. My email is listed below.
    Email: http://scr.im/pogue 📧
    Required Reading: http://bit.ly/CandleinTheDark 🕯️

tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thoughts on those apps is that they’re for people that have no idea how money works. Rather than people investing 63¢ from a charge they made, then can just be disciplined and auto invest an actual $50 (or any amount) a week like an actual intelligent investor.

No thanks though, I’ll use Vanguard for everything and get my index funds (which will outperform most account managers), as well as pay low fees.
    Trump is goat crew
    MAGA
    Trump 2020 Crew.

pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz pogue has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by tunafish01 View Post
    Thoughts on those apps is that they’re for people that have no idea how money works. Rather than people investing 63¢ from a charge they made, then can just be disciplined and auto invest an actual $50 (or any amount) a week like an actual intelligent investor.

No thanks though, I’ll use Vanguard for everything and get my index funds (which will outperform most account managers), as well as pay low fees.
    I have no idea about investing or anything. Can you recommend a good place to get started? I'm talking BASIC level stuff.
    I don't neg/infract/ban if you disagree with me in a civil discussion on any topic. ☮️
    Old blog, articles are still good even though many URLs are broken: http://pogue972.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on Twitter! I post lots of interesting stuff: https://twitter.com/pogue25 🐤
    I prefer email or Twitter for contact. However, you can PM me. My email is listed below.

tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tunafish01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by pogue View Post
    I have no idea about investing or anything. Can you recommend a good place to get started? I'm talking BASIC level stuff.

Read this:
    https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf

I as well as many others would recommend opening a vanguard account (easy to do), and invest in VTSAX (total US stock market- index fund). I like vanguard because it is commission free trading for their Index funds, and very low expense ratio. Expense ratio is what you pay to own it.

Do you have a Roth IRA? If not, open one.

I would advise against individual stocks, it truly is easier to just bet the overall market (Vtsax).

Been doing it for 5 years now (age 29 currently) and it really is a paying off.

Anything else let me know here or pm
    Trump is goat crew
    MAGA
    Trump 2020 Crew.

Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Like the above poster said, it is really targeted toward people who have no idea what they are doing. There is an Acorns commercial featuring a guy stocking grocery store shelves, and the commercial goes something like this "You see what items are being bought, restocked and what the trends are because you stock the shelves every day, time to get some skin in the game"

This disgusts me. It is promoting gambling. The idea that the trends you notice from stocking shelves is going to be sufficient to make investments is beyond retarded, especially when you consider that even elite level investors that devote their lives to picking stocks and have a PHD in a related field often can not beat the S&P 500 long term. Some of my friends come and ask me about investing all excited about robhinhood but I have to let them know it is a bad idea, just do the boring but proven way of building wealth and put your money into a Roth IRA or your 401k and invest in the vanguard total stock market, you aren't going to pick winning stocks. Sure if you really wanna throw some money into an individual company that you believe in like Tesla or whatever, I understand, but know that is a gamble, and most people think they are going to analyze graphs and pick a bunch of winning stocks or something. Not happening and even if you were a Warren Buffet you aren't going to be using Robinhood.

Read this:

I as well as many others would recommend opening a vanguard account (easy to do), and invest in VTSAX (total US stock market- index fund). I like vanguard because it is commission free trading for their Index funds, and very low expense ratio. Expense ratio is what you pay to own it.

I would advise against individual stocks, it truly is easier to just bet the overall market (Vtsax).

Well, Acorns uses Vanguard for it's stock portion. But Acorns also invests in real estate, treasury and corporate bonds, small, large, and intl company stocks. So, I feel like it has a more diverse portfolio, which helps reduce your risk, than just investing specifically in stocks (which I don't know a thing about and would rather not do).

Originally Posted by Boyguy View Post
    Like the above poster said, it is really targeted toward people who have no idea what they are doing. There is an Acorns commercial featuring a guy stocking grocery store shelves, and the commercial goes something like this "You see what items are being bought, restocked and what the trends are because you stock the shelves every day, time to get some skin in the game"
    That's not really the idea I get off them. If you read the articles I linked above, it's basically just a way to go do your regular shopping and get a little money added to your Acorn account. But, apparently, you can't use that specific feature for your investment account (I'm actually contacting support rn to figure out how it works).

tripod29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tripod29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tripod29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tripod29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tripod29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tripod29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tripod29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tripod29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tripod29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tripod29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tripod29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Save a little bit of money, have a little bit of amount. Be an adult and open up a real portfolio and fund it.

ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Well, Acorns uses Vanguard for it's stock portion. But Acorns also invests in real estate, treasury and corporate bonds, small, large, and intl company stocks. So, I feel like it has a more diverse portfolio, which helps reduce your risk, than just investing specifically in stocks (which I don't know a thing about and would rather not do).
    Vanguard does all of that, too. They provide a full suite of low-fee ETF and fund products, as do Schwab and Fidelity. It's pretty standard for all the big brokers now.

If you really want to start from square one, I would suggest reading up at Bogleheads. They provide a good all-around view on building a simple portfolio from index funds without stock-picking or market timing, based on the philosophy of the founder of Vanguard - who almost single-handedly caused Schwab and Fidelity to create competing index products.

Personally, I use Schwab for my money because I like their banking services.
    "I will respond by saying that it is you who is the dumbass." - Wincel, 6/20/19

Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Boyguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That's not really the idea I get off them. If you read the articles I linked above, it's basically just a way to go do your regular shopping and get a little money added to your Acorn account. But, apparently, you can't use that specific feature for your investment account (I'm actually contacting support rn to figure out how it works).
    I'm aware of the thing they do with the change being added to your investment account. I suppose if you are a person who has trouble being responsible and saving money (which a lot of people do) then this could be beneficial, but really, if a person is truly interested in investing, then they should divert a portion of their paycheck to vanguard every month. I feel like the average person will actually spend more thinking that they are saving/making so much off their new 38 cent investments they make a few times a day.

deeAvi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deeAvi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deeAvi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deeAvi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deeAvi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deeAvi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deeAvi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deeAvi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deeAvi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deeAvi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deeAvi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Acorn rounds up whatever you buy and invest it. so if i buy subway sandwich for 6.77 itll spend $7 and invest the rest

sounds solid, if you get to pick what you invest, but i think it picks for you then meh.

NextPound is a name known to all. (+5000) NextPound is a name known to all. (+5000) NextPound is a name known to all. (+5000) NextPound is a name known to all. (+5000) NextPound is a name known to all. (+5000) NextPound is a name known to all. (+5000) NextPound is a name known to all. (+5000) NextPound is a name known to all. (+5000) NextPound is a name known to all. (+5000) NextPound is a name known to all. (+5000) NextPound is a name known to all. (+5000)
    First off you are picking up pennies and stepping over quarters if you are not investing through a tax sheltered account - meaning take advantage of Roth or 401k at work etc before you do anything else because if you are in something like a 20-35% tax bracket anything you put in pretax is already generating a larger return than anything else you can do since that is cash that is not taxed. Not totally true on the Roth side, because you pay taxes up front but money grows tax free over the years, which if you do at a young age is huge because most of your wealth when you are old will be compound interest not what you put into the account over the years.

2ndly if you have extra cash to invest after that, get yourself a vanguard, schwab, fidelity, TD Ameritrade account - all of them are basically the same, and invest in an S&P index fund. Those funds, as outlined above in previous posts, clear average market returns, and are pretty tax efficiency due to the low turnover in the account - something that matters since you are investing with taxable dollars.

This also assumes you have no debt, because if you are looking for 6-10% return on investments and paying 18-30% in credit card fees every month, your money is better placed getting rid of the debt.

Finally, put some cash aside in a savings account like ally, so you have some rainy day cash, because the last thing you want to do is tap your investments for something big while they are in their growth phase.

If you want cash you have to seriously invest money, not rounded pennies. Acorns etc. are pennies in pennies out - you won't get rich investing pennies. It's better than nothing, but you can do much better by what I just laid out. Also, if you are serious about this, I would read everything you can on debt (Dave Ramsey), and Everything on investing (bogleheads).

Good luck and reading/studying this stuff will make you filthy rich if you do it correctly.

GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I use Acorns and RobbinHood. Both just for fun, I don't keep any significant amounts on either.
    I call it "Celebration". It's sexual, and violent...

New Jersey Crew (732)

topperstyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) topperstyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) topperstyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) topperstyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) topperstyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) topperstyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) topperstyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) topperstyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) topperstyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) topperstyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) topperstyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Read this:

ROTH is KEY
    i'll finish owning you dweebs later peace - Trapstar4.4

wincel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wincel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wincel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wincel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wincel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wincel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wincel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wincel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wincel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wincel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wincel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

JG0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JG0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JG0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JG0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JG0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JG0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JG0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JG0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JG0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JG0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JG0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

5 years, nice! I opened an account at the start of the year and i've made 15%, which i'm very pleased with. how much have you made over the 5 years?

I wish I'd opened an account sooner, though I'm worrying lately about whether the market is going to crash at some point soon.

POORSTRONG is just really nice. (+1000) POORSTRONG is just really nice. (+1000) POORSTRONG is just really nice. (+1000) POORSTRONG is just really nice. (+1000) POORSTRONG is just really nice. (+1000) POORSTRONG is just really nice. (+1000) POORSTRONG is just really nice. (+1000) POORSTRONG is just really nice. (+1000) POORSTRONG is just really nice. (+1000) POORSTRONG is just really nice. (+1000) POORSTRONG is just really nice. (+1000)
    Robinhood is obsolete. It's advantage used to be that it had commission free trades. Now all the real online brokerages have commission free trades too, and have way better platforms.

[300 Spartan Crew] TraininWh33ls's Avatar
    TraininWh33ls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TraininWh33ls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TraininWh33ls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TraininWh33ls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TraininWh33ls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TraininWh33ls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TraininWh33ls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TraininWh33ls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TraininWh33ls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TraininWh33ls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TraininWh33ls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great youtube video. Was my decision on why I didn't want to play with acorn.

Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There's no rules against a mod shilling a $5 affiliate link? Lol

Robinhood is pretty good imo. Acorns sounds dumb to me. I could be wrong but it sounds like you don't even get to choose what you invest in? Fuk that
    *Mechanical Engineering Crew*
    *Misc Crypto Crew*

ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ANumber1 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by JG0 View Post
    I wish I'd opened an account sooner, though I'm worrying lately about whether the market is going to crash at some point soon.
    If it does, don't panic and sell out. That's the rookie mistake. Keep buying.
    "I will respond by saying that it is you who is the dumbass." - Wincel, 6/20/19

The All-American American Woody-5's Avatar
    Woody-5 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Woody-5 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Woody-5 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Woody-5 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Woody-5 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Woody-5 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Woody-5 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Woody-5 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Woody-5 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Woody-5 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Woody-5 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    index funds have done best for me.

I like acorns for the round up, it's like a bonus investment account that I don't have to think about. it's done well, 9-10% gain over the past 2 years.

Tossed some coin into Fundrise (REITs), and that's done surprisingly well in just 6 months. Curious to see what 1 year looks like before invest more.

tested out Lending Club as well. not doing terrible, but 2 loans defaulted within 6 months which took my gains from excellent to barely better than a CD. Won't be investing anymore there.

On the lookout for a multi unit rental property... that's where some real coin is.
    PRs: Back Squat- 410x1 / Front Squat- 320x1/ Bench- 325x1 / Deadlift- 505x1

Woody's Quest for the Seven (journal):
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177649631

Originally Posted by JG0 View Post
    5 years, nice! I opened an account at the start of the year and i've made 15%, which i'm very pleased with. how much have you made over the 5 years?

Portfolio as of today is 120k. I invested about 100k of my own money into mainly index funds as well as Visa, PayPal and Square stock
    Trump is goat crew
    MAGA
    Trump 2020 Crew.

elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

public library and investing for dummies or similar books. being srs, its how I learned the basics. Make sure you get a current book because rules on IRA's and stuff change every few years.

Parkerscott has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Parkerscott has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Parkerscott has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Parkerscott has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Parkerscott has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Parkerscott has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Parkerscott has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Parkerscott has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Parkerscott has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Parkerscott has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Parkerscott has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Roth, 401k, index funds, and then a side of risk with things like individual stock picks, starting a business, and crypto investing.

I have a 401k, Roth IRA, and a stack of the cryptocurrency BAT. I earn 6% a year in interest on the BAT on top of whatever happens to the price. Using the brave browser also gives me extra BAT that I reinvest, and its much more than I would ever make rounding up change on acorns.
    lol at chromecels and firefoxcels

brave browser crew