heyimtired is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How do I convince my parents to let me get a gym membership and drink protein shakes?

I'm a 15-year-old girl (120lbs and 5'6) and I want to gain muscle. I've wanted to get a gym membership for a while now, but my parents keep saying I can't. I currently do a fitness program 2 days a week, but it doesn't make me any stronger. What I'm doing now costs $90 per month, and a membership at this gym costs $50 per month. I would go to it after school 4 days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday). It's on my way home, so it would not only be better for me, but also for my parents. I've also tried to convince them to let me bring protein shakes to my fitness class, but they say I won't eat dinner if I do. I've tried telling them to let me try it for just one day to prove that I'll eat, but they just won't let me. This has been really frustrating and I honestly don't know what to do.

sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Try to get a paper route or something of that nature. Perhaps they will see you taking the initiative and help out with some of the costs.

You could try to do some resistance training with push ups and pull ups while eating extra servings of the meat that they serve you to get in your protein requirements.

What is the fitness program you're currently doing? Maybe ditch that and do the gym?

The fitness program I've been doing is a fairly generalized teen class mostly for keeping you in shape. I've been trying to convince my parents to let me quit it and get a gym membership instead, but they just don't like the idea and I don't know why.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If we're talking child-parent psychology it would help to know the reason(s) your parents give you about the gym membership - whether or not you feel it's legit (e.g., can't afford it, you're going to get bored of it and not go, you won't have time to do homework, they're worried about creepy guys bothering you, etc.). As crazy as it sounds, parents sometimes have valid reasons for their decisions.

You should also make sure the gym allows you to work out w/out being accompanied by an adult, assuming you can have a membership under 18 w/ parental consent. Also, doesn't your school have a gym you can use?

Re: protein shakes, you could buy cheap multi-packs of Ensure High Protein or Boost High Protein on your own and just sneak them in your bag. Normally I wouldn't advise you to defy your parents, but this sounds like one of least harmful types of contraband a teen could take behind her parents' back.

Or you could prove that you have a huge appetite normally at home - eat a bunch of snacks in the afternoon and then devour 2 helpings at dinner to prove you can handle a protein shake.

For both the gym and shakes, you can always negotiate w/ them - find out what leverage you have or what they want (eat your veggies, rake the leaves, keep your room clean, etc.).

I don't really think you need protein shakes at your fitness class though - just eat a decent amount of protein at each meal and maybe w/ an extra snack at some protein during the day.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sqal View Post
    Try to get a paper route
    Not sure this is still a thing today.

They don't tell me the reasons they don't want me going to the gym. I am assuming they think it's dangerous in some way. I will probably try some of those ways for the protein shakes though.

If they're not into weight training (or even if they are), they might think you may hurt yourself or that it's not good to do while you're still growing - and may not feel like they can successfully win the argument evidence wise w/ their independent-minded teenager so are pulling rank while giving no reason whatsoever.

I assume it's the weight training they don't like, I've tried to confront them with research but I just get something along the lines of "Can we not talk about this right now?" except there's never a time they do want to talk about it.

You'll get to do that to your kids too some day at least.

Maybe they'd feel more comfortable if you asked for a bench and barbell/db spinlock set for your room or the basement, where they can at least keep an eye on you as a compromise?

Or if you just did pushups, got a pullup bar for your doorway and a set of spinlock dbs - you could still do a pretty decent full body work out in your room. And they wouldn't have to worry about you hurting yourself trying to bench 200 lbs or something.

Okay, I'll try this, thanks.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You'll get to do that to your kids too some day at least.

Maybe they'd feel more comfortable if you asked for a bench and barbell/db spinlock set for your room or the basement, where they can at least keep an eye on you as a compromise?

Or if you just did pushups, got a pullup bar for your doorway and a set of spinlock dbs - you could still do a pretty decent full body work out in your room. And they wouldn't have to worry about you hurting yourself trying to bench 200 lbs or something.
    This^^^. Work out at home. There is an initial cost but no recurring costs.

pantanovera is not very well liked. (-100) pantanovera is not very well liked. (-100) pantanovera is not very well liked. (-100) pantanovera is not very well liked. (-100) pantanovera is not very well liked. (-100) pantanovera is not very well liked. (-100) pantanovera is not very well liked. (-100) pantanovera is not very well liked. (-100) pantanovera is not very well liked. (-100) pantanovera is not very well liked. (-100) pantanovera is not very well liked. (-100)
    Just explain to your parents about the importance of what you need to gain and do not forget to have your dinner which makes your parents upset if you avoid..In case, they don't understand you, tell your issue to the professional person such as physical instructor and tell him to explain the matter professionally to your parents. It will be more useful than your explanation as I hope

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you have a YMCA near your house? That's a cheaper option than a commercial gym.

Other than that a garage/basement setup might be for you. You can find deals on craigslist and other reseller sites for equipment.

What about your school? We had a full weight room in my high school that was open to all at lunch and after school, not sure what schools have these days.

Also, not sure how protein shakes became synonymous with muscle growth, you can get just as much protein in 2 cups of greek yogurt as you can in a scoop of protein powder.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000)
    If it helps, isolated protein powders aren't all they're hyped to be, they taste like **** and i hate myself every time I'm drinking one.
    ACE CPT

6'0
    Starting weight 304lbs
    Current weight 176lbs

andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Use weights in your room and drop them a few times.
    Cycling, walking, swimming.
    No car.

dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000)
    i know most gyms require a person to be 16 years old or above, otherwise they need to be accompanied by an adult

they're probably just worried about you like any parent should be. Being a parent myself, I probably wouldn't allow my daughter if she was 15 years old to go to a gym unsupervised. That's just me and I'm a lifter parent. I also wouldn't buy them protein shakes but would instead have myself and my wife cook higher protein meals. How much protein really does a 15 year old girl who is 120 lbs need that can't be easily obtained through diet.

If i were in your position I would show my parents how serious you are about it, i.e by getting a small job to partially fund it. Ask them to cook more meats, fish and veggies in your diet as well as other high protein sources. I wouldn't worry really that much about protein intake, just eat a good variety of foods in your diet. Ask them to buy you a set of weights. Work out in your school gym if possible.

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Protein shakes really aren't necessary. I mean they are good for convenience and all but don't think that you can't still reach your fitness goals without them because you certainly can.

As for the gym, I would just try sitting down and having an honest conversation with them and telling them how important fitness is to you and that you are trying to live a healthy lifestyle. I would think they would see that as admirable considering you are becoming health conscious at such a young age.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

thebiceppump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thebiceppump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thebiceppump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thebiceppump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thebiceppump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thebiceppump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thebiceppump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thebiceppump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thebiceppump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thebiceppump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thebiceppump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    a friend of mine long ago used to go to karate class. he got sick of karate and he wanted to go to the gym but his parents wouldnt let him. the fees for karate were wayy more than gym fees, so one day he decided to take the fees for the karate class and spend it on a gym membership. he would pretend to go to karate class every day and his parents believed him. this idiot would walk into the gym wearing a karate uniform and then change into gym clothes. as far as i know, his parents never found out, and he also got a lot bigger and stronger then us karate bros.

not recommending you do this, just thought its a funny story to share.

SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000)
    You said your parents' objection to protein shakes was you would take them to night class and then not eat dinner. If that's the case, just have the shake with breakfast or lunch or in between. You don't have to have protein at certain times, you just need enough over the course of the day. However I agree you should get your protein from other sources.

Until you get that gym membership, you could try running the Armstrong Pull up program, and supplement with a lower-body program, like jumpies, mountain climbers, etc.

Bccorrupt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bccorrupt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bccorrupt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bccorrupt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bccorrupt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bccorrupt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bccorrupt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bccorrupt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bccorrupt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bccorrupt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bccorrupt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Two sets of $20 Walmart dumbbells, a $20 Academy sports straight barbell, and a chair might be inconspicuous enough for them to go for it. That's enough for you to be able to do squats, pushups, overhead press, tricep dips, barbell rows, possibly bench press, weighted crunches, curls, and probably plenty more I'm forgetting, at least most of the big stuff. As for protein drinks instead see if they'll go for some of the 20g or so of protein granola bars and eat double portions of lean meat, milk, nuts, yogurt, etc when you can.
    Last edited by Bccorrupt; 11-21-2019 at 10:25 PM. Reason: left out one food