helloiammojo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Weight loss competition

My gym is at a small town high school. Last month there was a sign up sheet for a community fitness challenge where the winner stands to win a decent amount of money. It coincides perfectly with my weight loss goals. I'm down 40 lbs since August from overhauling my nutrition, lifting heavy, and mixing in a little cardio. The final weigh in is Dec 20th. I've considered switching to mostly cardio in Dec in an effort to temporarily lose some muscle and have that number on the scale ensure that I'm victorious. The winner is based on % weight loss. I would be fine with losing some muscle in the short term and picking the weights back up afterwards. Is there any logic to my thinking? Would really low weight/high rep lifting make sense? What are your thoughts?

Manlets gonna make it Natty1980's Avatar
    Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just try to survive with 500 Cal / day and win. Seriously, this is one of the most stupid, dangerous and unhealthy competitions one can conceive.

Originally Posted by Natty1980 View Post
    Just try to survive with 500 Cal / day and win. Seriously, this is one of the most stupid, dangerous and unhealthy competitions one can conceive.
    Ok. I think I can get by on 250-300 a day, actually. Naw, I'm playing. I see where you're coming from. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not going to do anything stupid. I was just curious if I could gain an edge by switching it up the last month or so.

willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you switch to Keto the last month you could possibly get that water weight loss people experience in the first two weeks. If you are already doing keto that won't help though. I agree with the Natty that these competitions are not always a great idea, but if it inspired you to make some changes, then good luck.
    ".......have you paid your dues Jack?"
    "Yes Sir, the check is in the mail."

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    From someone who has done exactly what you are thinking of doing and paid the price, don't sacrifice your long term personal goals to win a little bit of money in the short term. Keep as much muscle as you can. However, I agree with above if want to "game the system" a little bit then going ultra low carb/keto will help you drop some water weight. Increase your cardio if you want but no matter what ensure that you continue your strength training and hit your daily protein/fat requirements.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Good advice. Thanks. I'm going to stick with my current lifting plan, increase cardio, and tweak my diet for four weeks leading up to the final weigh in. I fully understand people's concerns with how this sort of competition can promote unhealthy actions. I had already begun my weight loss journey a couple months before this was announced. Health, fitness, and longevity are my focus.